Logos/branding/uniforms that you loved at first sight?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original Charlotte Hornets logo. Saw it on a t-shirt when I was 10, fell in love with the logo and colours and decided on the spot that they were going to be the team I supported. 

30 years on and I still love that logo,even the team has caused a fair bit of anguish...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers original switch to pewter, red and black

Seattle Pilots (when I saw baseball cards as a kid . . . I was alive in 1969, but only turned two that summer)

Houston Astros rainbow guts (because it seemed really cool when I was 7 . . . tastes change)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The original Miami Heat logo and uniforms.  The logo might have been a bit simplistic but those uniforms are still my favorite Heat uniforms ever and among my favorite NBA uniforms ever.

The original Wild uniforms.  In hindsight, I think they overused gold and I generally prefer where the uniforms are now.

Like Leopard 88 above, the Rainbow guts.  Those existed prior to my memory, but when I first saw them (probably on a card) I was hooked. They did not maintain their place in my heart.

The Bengals tiger-striped helmets.  They've been #1 among NFL helmets ever since.

St. Louis Blues first look after dumping the asymmetrical uniform with red trim. Still my favorite in team history. Same with the Seahawks "slate" uniforms. Same with the 1990s Vikings uniform with the logo on the sleeve.

1991(ish?) Orioles standing bird.  Happy Bird has always been a bad piece of an otherwise great look for me.

Milwaukee Bucks Green/Purple. It replaced my favorite look in team history, but I liked it.  It really did not hold up for me in the long run.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

30 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The Bengals tiger-striped helmets.  They've been #1 among NFL helmets ever since.

1991(ish?) Orioles standing bird.  Happy Bird has always been a bad piece of an otherwise great look for me.

I'll second the Bengals helmets.

The Orioles rebrand was in 1989,

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Orlando Thunder

London Monarchs

Seattle Kraken

New York Cityhawks

Much as it pains me to say it, the Cowboys' double stars

Dallas Desperados

Nashville Kats (the originals, the second Kats looked like bad Titans ripoffs)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

9 hours ago, Discrim said:

Orlando Thunder

London Monarchs

Seattle Kraken

New York Cityhawks

Much as it pains me to say it, the Cowboys' double stars

Dallas Desperados

Nashville Kats (the originals, the second Kats looked like bad Titans ripoffs)

I'll second this one.  I love the color scheme and the M-crown logo is brilliant.

For the uninitiated . . . 

spacer.pngspacer.png

While we're at it, I'll add the New York/New Jersey Knights . . . the opponents in the first picture, and see below.

spacer.png

Both the Panthers and Jags at the '95 Hall of Fame Game. I had a 7-Eleven mug of the Jags' original hood ornament helmet and a Panthers folder I took to school everyday.

spacer.png

Ravens and Eagles in 1996. I had a set of Ravens window stickers that first year.

spacer.png32a325b34de8c6bc2b941f15bfba3841.jpg

Bucs and Broncos in '97.

c2qeqjqqxritl6staprn.jpg

241803.jpg

Jets in '98.

key.jpg

Titans in '99.

usatsi_9251783.jpg?w=1200

T-Wolves in '96.

ec5710a1ff3a2ed369116aafb0383ee7.jpg

Sixers in '97.

26364_01_lg.jpg

14 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I wasn't sure about the Kraken name at first, but I was glad people warmed up to the brand.

The name kills it for me.

spacer.png

I've always adored the Kachinas. They're weird, they're a little odd-looking, and they're definitely non-traditional...but it is hockey in Arizona. Non-traditional is the name of the game.

spacer.png

These Panthers uniforms are also fantastic. These unis with the same colors and with some modernized logos would be a beautiful combo, and I hope that a navy of this is what the Panthers will use for their Reverse Retro.

spacer.png

What else is there to say? Perfection can't be topped, and the Nords' jerseys were and still are perfect.

For me its these:

Oakland A's Kelly Green Alts (the moustache makes this even better). In all honesty this should be the base of an A's rebrand. They look wonderful in kelly green!

Out of Luck? Athletics Sweep Homestand in Kelly Greens Then Leave Them at  Home – SportsLogos.Net News

Ranking the MLB's 10 Greatest Uniforms Ever

Rockies purple alternate. Such a unique and fun color.

Are the Rockies due for an updated uniform design? Let's discuss - Purple  Row

Colorado Avalanche uniforms. I loved the release of their newest set because it improved upon a fantastic look after a tumultuous Reebok era.

Colorado Avalanche long-term cap crunch a huge factor for Rantanen

Oregon Ducks Mascot uniform. This one wasn't the best look they've trotted out in, but it was a one-off alternate that didn't try to overthink the idea. It was a clever and fun concept.

Oregon Ducks latest crazy football uniforms look like their duck mascot -  Business Insider

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Lots of people were skeptical of the name, but the look is so perfect that most objections immediately disappeared. 

Key word being "most".

See also --

Wild, Minnesota

Golden Knights, Vegas

Archived