NBA Expansion Looming: Seattle and Las Vegas or Vancouver

colortv

Just now, gosioux76 said:

The NBA is the absolute last league that should contemplate adding franchises. There are already a half-dozen or more irrelevant franchises and, as @the admiral pointed out, nowhere near enough players of a quality that can make a difference for those teams. It’s ridiculous to even consider adding two more teams.

I'd argue that they're not last, but only by virtue of the MLB being very very close to folding two franchises not two decades ago.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I think expansion is a horrible idea right now.  It seems like this whole process may be getting rushed, only because the league is collectively losing their asses right now and is desperate for revenue.  We already have enough garbage basketball and don't need it watered down even more.

It's talks right now. 

If it was to occur it wont happen for several years. 

27 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'd argue that they're not last, but only by virtue of the MLB being very very close to folding two franchises not two decades ago.

That and adding a team in MLB is such a colossal headache in terms of logistics and investment.

I wouldn’t mind a Chivas USA-LA FC kind of expansion. Contract a thoroughly poisoned team, while adding an expansion club. It gets around relocation, allows for a contraction draft, and gets rid of markets that might have been lost to relocation anyway. Think Minnesota, New Orleans, or (I do hate to say it) Charlotte. Markets within the nation’s top ten would be exempt, of course.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

That and adding a team in MLB is such a colossal headache in terms of logistics and investment.

I wouldn’t mind a Chivas USA-LA FC kind of expansion. Contract a thoroughly poisoned team, while adding an expansion club. It gets around relocation, allows for a contraction draft, and gets rid of markets that might have been lost to relocation anyway. Think Minnesota, New Orleans, or (I do hate to say it) Charlotte. Markets within the nation’s top ten would be exempt, of course.

That wouldn't be awful. I will say that I think Charlotte is safe for two reasons: MJ being the owner and the NBA not wanting to go through that headache again. The Pelicans are in a much weaker position, which serves them right, but in the end I'd rather just see wholesale relocation of New Orleans. It would come full circle - The Hornets playing in OKC led to the Sonics moving, so the Pelicans transferring to Seattle (while the Charlotte Hornets outlast them) would be some real karmic justice.

3 minutes ago, QCS said:

That wouldn't be awful. I will say that I think Charlotte is safe for two reasons: MJ being the owner and the NBA not wanting to go through that headache again. The Pelicans are in a much weaker position, which serves them right, but in the end I'd rather just see wholesale relocation of New Orleans. It would come full circle - The Hornets playing in OKC led to the Sonics moving, so the Pelicans transferring to Seattle (while the Charlotte Hornets outlast them) would be some real karmic justice.

Or...OKC goes back to Seattle, and NO goes to OKC. 

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Or...OKC goes back to Seattle, and NO goes to OKC. 

Doesn't matter to me. Both would be a great end to the most toxic relocation circus in modern history.

Seattle and Vancouver. Memphis goes to the East

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Seattle should have a team again. Vancouver should have a team again. Louisville would be cool.

Vegas I don't care about. The city JUST became a major league town and got two teams in quick succession. I'm not from there and don't want to speak to the experience of the people that live there, but it's a very touristy and manufactured city, it doesn't really fit in with the other markets in the Big 4 IMO. That said, the league has had a relationship with the city that makes it somewhat surprising they aren't already there.

15 minutes ago, Telemundo219 said:

Seattle and Vancouver. Memphis goes to the East

I'd say Minnesota instead of Memphis because the Southwest teams are all close together and make sense in a division, plus OKC can join them. The Wolves are on their own, and would make much more sense in the East with the Central teams.

40 minutes ago, QCS said:

Whether or not the Pelicans stay I think is dependent upon whether or not Gayle Benson keeps both teams she inherited from her late husband.  If I had to guess, she'll keep the Saints as they make a ton more money for her than the Pelicans.  The moment she decides to sell the Pelicans is the moment relocation talks begin,  If she were to sell both teams though, it would be the Saints staying in New Orleans as I doubt the Saints would want to go through that again.  The addition of Drew Brees in 2006 was the move that forever changed the fortunes of the Saints.  If the Pelicans move to Seattle, they would have to switch divisions with Minnesota, but this would put the T-Wolves in the same division as the three Texas Teams and Memphis, which would not be ideal.  The better scenario would be to switch divisions with Oklahoma City.

Adding both Las Vegas and Seattle would put both the Wolves and Pelicans in the Eastern Conference and probably move OKC to the Southwest.

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Hopefully Seattle gets a team just so I don't have to hear "mOvE tO sEaTtLe" from Lakers and former Sonics fans every time the Clippers lose.

The NBA would be stupid to even consider putting a team in Vegas after the Donaghy scandal.

That's me! Except I was never a Sonics fan. I just wanted a team in the city I live in.

I don't see Vancouver happening, because I still think it carries the same stigma it did the last go-round. Vancouver is a wonderful cosmopolitan city and one of the most beautiful I've ever been to, but it's tucked in a corner way down there and, unlike Toronto, not close to other American metropolises besides Seattle, which itself is pretty removed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't see Vancouver happening, because I still think it carries the same stigma it did the last go-round. Vancouver is a wonderful cosmopolitan city and one of the most beautiful I've ever been to, but it's tucked in a corner way down there and, unlike Toronto, not close to other American metropolises besides Seattle, which itself is pretty removed.

I mean, Portland exists.

15 hours ago, colortv said:

Jacksonville is a joke...you look at metro area size, not city size. It really makes no sense how it has an NFL team.

It's a combination of the Jacksonville Bulls being one of the more successful USFL teams at the box office and the fact that St. Louis and Baltimore botched the hell out of their bids.

Also the NBA's talent pool is growing exponentially as the game grows both nationally and globally.

There's so many guys who just need minutes and opportunities who are exploding right now(Christian Wood).

Even the worst teams in the league have talent and are being competitive on the floor, couldn't say that 15 or 20 years ago.

Archived