National Lacrosse League Expansion/Relocation 2021

Dilbert

• officeglenn changed the title to National Lacrosse League Expansion/Relocation 2021
44 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

LAX VEGAS BABY

And the NLL has another owner with multiple franchises.

Let's just hope that Tsai doesn't pull an Adam Gilchrist and name his teams after his signature cocktails.

VmWIn6B.png

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Yes.  That could create a conflict of interest as they are probably going to be in the same division.  

The Pegulas own Buffalo and Rochester. I believe they are in the same division. So this is definitely not unprecedented. 

I realize it's not a unique thought and it's been talked about in other threads but another pro team in Vegas? 

It's starting to feel like the 1999  to the late 2000s period with lots of expansion and relocation.

For the most part I've been optimistic of the moves made under Nick Sakiewicz but it's just starting to get that feel again. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

14 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Doesn't Joe Tsai own the San Diego Seals?

14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Yes.  That could create a conflict of interest as they are probably going to be in the same division.  

If MLS didn’t care about Lamar Hunt and Phil Anschutz owning about half the league or more at one point, then a league that has even less of a national footprint should be fine IMO. 

The ECHL has owners who own multiple teams. The owner of the Newfoundland Growlers will also own the two new expansion teams, the Iowa Heartlanders and the still unnamed club in Trois Rivieres. As I recall owners who have multiple teams cannot trade players or do any business between the teams that they own. I would think the NLL would do something similar.

Signature intentionally left blank

David Braley owned the Toronto Argonauts and BC Lions simultaneously, which at the time was nearly 1/3 of the league.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Hopefully Las Vegas will have a better name than Panther City LC, which is an awful name for a pro team and a lost opportunity by ownership to have a Fort Worth based team actually named Fort Worth.  I don't think that team is going to do well, because people who will watch them play "where's Panther City?" and then when they hear it's Forth Worth, Texas, then they will respond "well why aren't they called Forth Worth?"  The naming will backfire on the ownership group.

the name fits in better with Paul Rabil's PLL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:25 PM, neo_prankster said:

Doesn't Joe Tsai own the San Diego Seals?

Yeah and he was supposedly trying to bring a new arena to San Diego for them. Little odd he'd go and throw down more cash for another team instead of finishing the process of securing his San Diego team. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, Wayne Gretzky and Steve Nash are part owners of the Vegas expansion team. I have zero idea of what to do with that info, but I found it interesting.

New NLL franchise in Vegas has Gretzky, Nash involved as part owners | Toronto Sun

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

So, Wayne Gretzky and Steve Nash are part owners of the Vegas expansion team. I have zero idea of what to do with that info, but I found it interesting.

New NLL franchise in Vegas has Gretzky, Nash involved as part owners | Toronto Sun

I think this is kinda cool. Seeing them in Hamilton, though a bit of a stretch, would be pretty freaking cool.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Steve Nash does make sense.  He's the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA team that Joe Tsai owns.

Not sure if Steve Nash played lacrosse in Victoria as a youth but Gretzky sure did and was pretty good at it as well from what I understand. I'm pretty sure Gretzky was also part owner of the Arizona Sting while he was owner of the Coyotes. I also think Gretzky's son-in-law is also part owner as well.

15 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Not sure if Steve Nash played lacrosse in Victoria as a youth but Gretzky sure did and was pretty good at it as well from what I understand. I'm pretty sure Gretzky was also part owner of the Arizona Sting while he was owner of the Coyotes. I also think Gretzky's son-in-law is also part owner as well.

I thought I remembered him mentioning it in an interview years ago.

Something to the effect of loving hockey, but his favorite sport to play growing up being lacrosse. He just excelled more at hockey, and there were ways to keep playing hockey that just weren't there for lax.

Maybe I'm misremembering that. Trying to search for it just now turned up stories about his new ownership stint.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived