Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

1 minute ago, washingtonspride said:

Do you really believe the Red Sox will change their colors over this? No?

You all need to face the fact that a few good looking jerseys and a few awful ones will not change an already well established brand identity. These will not become primary jerseys, and if they do, it will not be the end of all sports.

Nobody is pretending that teams are going to change their identities. The issue is that nobody wants to see teams like the Red Sox wearing hideous, gimmicky uniforms for large chunks of the season. That's a very real and imminent concern. Just so that NIke and the owners can further line their pockets.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

People said this same exact thing after the Players Weekend uniforms were first announced. "It's only one series!" So what's next?

Did those Players Weekend uniforms replace any regular uniforms? Or even became an alternate? All that happened there was it became an annual event, like when they started dressing up in Stars and Stripes for Memorial/Independence/Patriot Day

In my entire life, and I'm rather old, I've seen lots and lots of jerseys, logos etc.

By far and I mean very very very far, the Boston yellow thing is the most ugly, horrible, bad, stupid, no taste, disgraceful, hideous, unlovely, displeasing, disagreeable piece of garbage I've ever seen.

1 minute ago, BigRed618 said:

Did those Players Weekend uniforms replace any regular uniforms? Or even became an alternate? All that happened there was it became an annual event, like when they started dressing up in Stars and Stripes for Memorial/Independence/Patriot Day

So my post above yours.

3 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

All of those events and a massive array of horrible alternates have completely destroyed the visual identity of mlb. Teams need to go back to the mid 90's where you got white/gray/alt and 2 hats tops.That's professional baseball. 

The Red Sox original Players Weekend jerseys were great. Their usual look presented in a new way. You can do new things and still look like yourselves. This is not it. And it’s not even a nice design! It’s a bog standard yellow jersey, that’s why it looks like Boston DPW softball.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

This is just a special event uniform. No different than the holiday uniforms, or throwback uniforms. This is just a new design. This one I don’t really have a problem with honestly. Now if the other city uniforms get worn as often as the do in the NBA than that is a problem and needs to be stopped and outrage is justified. Right now it’s just complaining to complain because it’s no different than what teams in the MLB have already done in the past. I honestly think it’s hypocritical that y’all hate this uniform that is really a memorial to those lost in the Boston marathon bombing but love when AAA teams randomly become the :censored: sandwiches for a weekend.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

All of those events and a massive array of horrible alternates have completely destroyed the visual identity of mlb. Teams need to go back to the mid 90's where you got white/gray/alt and 2 hats tops.That's professional baseball. 

No, that's boring. You will never, and I mean NEVER, attract young and new fans with that mindset. If you keep thinking like that before you know it all baseball fans will be senile and in their 80's.

4 minutes ago, washingtonspride said:

No, that's boring. You will never, and I mean NEVER, attract young and new fans with that mindset. If you keep thinking like that before you know it all baseball fans will be senile and in their 80's.

The product on the field attracts young fans. They may buy the random alt but not watch the game still because the play is slow, not enough offense ect. And with the growing importance of TV deals and ratings merchandise shouldn’t be your focus in trying to get new fans.

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

In my entire life, and I'm rather old, I've seen lots and lots of jerseys, logos etc.

By far and I mean very very very far, the Boston yellow thing is the most ugly, horrible, bad, stupid, no taste, disgraceful, hideous, unlovely, displeasing, disagreeable piece of garbage I've ever seen.

That’s a tad bit extreme.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

This is really the worst jersey you’ve ever seen?? Calm down dude

Excellent!

1 hour ago, washingtonspride said:

Show me the research that says one off uniforms are bringing in new fans to the sport as opposed to generating a one time sale of a consumer item.

1 minute ago, guest23 said:

Show me the research that says one off uniforms are bringing in new fans to the sport as opposed to generating a one time sale of a consumer item.

It's not one-off uniforms I'm talking about. If you have a white home, a grey away, and a random alt on fridays or whatever, they don't attract fans. I know plenty of casual (and hardcore) fans who just like the team because they liked the colors (keyword: colors) on the jersey.

1 hour ago, washingtonspride said:

Hi, young and relatively new fan here. I prefer home/road/1 alt, even if I'm ok with the road jersey being a color. When I watch a game, I want the teams to look like themselves! I want to be able to turn on the TV and instantly be able to tell what team is playing. The Red Sox in blue and yellow is the opposite of this. All these jerseys do is give Nike more crap to sell.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived