Short-lived uniform features

Toronto Argonauts Gallery - 1990 | Trading Card Database -and- 

Don Wilson-Toronto Argonauts-1990.jpg | Scott Grant Photography

^ Speaking of the Argos, a year prior, in 1990, both jerseys had wordmarks that were only used for that season.

1995 TORONTO ARGONAUTS CFL Football Pocket Schedule Sked - Sport Select |  eBay

On that note, the 1990s had quite a few one-season deals for the Argos. The 1995 jersey, with the HUGE "Jason" logo was only used for that season, before being toned down somewhat to have him appear on the jersey shoulders.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

^ Speaking of the Argos, a year prior, in 1990, both jerseys had wordmarks that were only used for that season.

On that note, the 1990s had quite a few one-season deals for the Argos. The 1995 jersey, with the HUGE "Jason" logo was only used for that season, before being toned down somewhat to have him appear on the jersey shoulders.

More Argonauts.  The striped home socks worn in 1993 and do not believe it was not for all the home games that season. 

spacer.png

W1971-72 St. Louis Cardinals Minor League Game Worn Jersey. Nice | Lot  #62137 | Heritage Auctions

When the St. Louis Cardinals became the second MLB team to adopt double-knit uniforms in 1971, their jerseys used this crew-neck collar which was used for two seasons before they went to a V-neck collar in 1973.

UBwef0L.png

19 hours ago, johnnysama said:

That massive chest logo on football jerseys was an ugly trend that thankfully didn’t land in the NFL.

NFL Europe

spacer.png

CFL

spacer.png

On 6/11/2021 at 7:16 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

The Celtics unveil hideous grey, sleeved uniforms - SBNation.com

Knicks vs Magic Betting Odds and Pick - December 21, 2015 | Odds Shark

harryb.jpg

The short lived sleeved era of the NBA. (Also lots of gray for gray sake).

Tho of course now the NBA is at short lived uniforms peaks with nike.

I wouldn’t consider GFGS as short lived since it’s still alive and well

1996-97 San Francisco 49ers have a few of these. The most notable is the white pants, which were only worn in 1996-97 and the 1998 preseason.

1996, began the season with the "fat" number font, which I believe is the same font used by the 1995-96 Jacksonville Jaguars, but with a drop shadow. This font was phased out in favor of the "skinny" font, which was used until these uniforms were replaced for the 2009 season.

The change was made a few games into the season (sometime in October), but there was significant overlap with both fonts worn in the same game. Some players had the "fat" number font until the end of the season.

Compare the 9s on #92 and #94 here to see the difference between the "fat" and "skinny" fonts:

the-san-francisco-49ers-defense-waits-be

The 1996 uniforms also featured a double-outlined name font, on both the home and road jerseys.

aug-1996-quarterback-steve-young-of-the-

This changed in 1997, where the name font only had a black outline and all jerseys had the "skinny" number font. I've tried to look for an example of the "fat" number  font or double-outlined name font being used in 1997, but I believe they'd all been phased out by then.

michael-irvin-of-the-dallas-cowboys-catches-a-pass-and-gets-tackled-picture-id1167498417?k=6&m=1167498417&s=612x612&w=0&h=CUDLVKkITwp7OcvW_sgNRdojMTKxRYDkLFmzM6qeNhQ=

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

3 hours ago, Ark said:

I'm not sure if this counts (1994-1999), but these are my favorite Astros uniforms and I feel like if they had stuck with them they would still be wearing them today.

JohnsonAstros.jpg

vZN8n.jpg

DNkh4ylUQAEMsUJ.jpg

I liked these for the time they existed, but I think it was smart of the Astros to ditch them entering the 2000s and start with a fresh identity at their new stadium.  I'm not saying their 2000s look was amazing, it certainly could have been better, but these are too 90s.

"If they hadn't gotten rid of them, they wouldn't have gotten rid of them" is an interesting observation. As a fan, I'm a fan.

There was a lot wrong with this set. The NOBs and numbers looked very bad, the rest of the jersey looked too plain, and the open shooting star was a very weak logo -- too thin and wispy. Had they stayed true to navy and orange as their team colors, maybe incorporated the orange piping they use now, and improved the cap logo by adding an H, they might have been more interesting. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Pittsburgh Steelers switched from their classic block-font uniforms to their newer, rounded font in 1997. However, for the 1997 season, the Steelers' away jersey featured player names in all-black font on the away jersey instead of the usual gold names with a black outline. The following season, the Steelers reverted back to the gold-and-black-outline names on the away jersey, which remain to this day. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

"If they hadn't gotten rid of them, they wouldn't have gotten rid of them" is an interesting observation. As a fan, I'm a fan.

They wouldn't have felt the need to make as strong of a retro push as they did.

Hey guys, remember when the Lightning tried to unveil a uniform with traditional pant stripes, solid numbers, and no victory stripes?

SUB-Y-LOGO-1-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=w

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

44 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Hey guys, remember when the Lightning tried to unveil a uniform with traditional pant stripes, solid numbers, and no victory stripes?

SUB-Y-LOGO-1-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=w

Well they’re still wearing jerseys with no victory stripes... 

And I mean they wore them from 1992-2014, so they weren’t short-lived by any means, but they definitely were unique. I’ve never seen another team do that, even in lower level hockey. Does anyone know the story behind those? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well they’re still wearing jerseys with no victory stripes... 

And I mean they wore them from 1992-2014, so they weren’t short-lived by any means, but they definitely were unique. I’ve never seen another team do that, even in lower level hockey. Does anyone know the story behind those? 

When they would raise they’re arms to celebrate is the only time you’d see the stripes, that’s where the term victory stripes came from. If you’re wondering why other teams didn’t adopt it I’d assume it is because they didn’t want to be viewed as copying them. Why lower leagues wouldn’t do it, is because it was never a template option.

11 hours ago, ~Bear said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers switched from their classic block-font uniforms to their newer, rounded font in 1997. However, for the 1997 season, the Steelers' away jersey featured player names in all-black font on the away jersey instead of the usual gold names with a black outline. The following season, the Steelers reverted back to the gold-and-black-outline names on the away jersey, which remain to this day. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe unpopular but I kinda prefer the all-black font. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived