Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

At least those guys are all wearing their stirrups and pants correctly.

I dunno - that guy on the end, in the Columbia blue, his stirrups look like they're on backwards.  Larger hole goes in the back, big guy, and the rose goes on the front.

• Like 1

The only thing this Brandiose set is missing is the Jumbo Shrimp swinging a french fry, but everything other Brandiose staple is there: Ornate, cartoony wordmark, cartoony comic book-esque logo (same type of large eyes and triangular smirk in nearly every other Brandiose brand), and of course, the wacky, (often) food-based name.

What's with food-based names and Brandiose? Did Jason and Casey gain weight from all of that ballpark food, and did they liked it so much that they decided to name half the teams that they've rebranded because of it or something?

OK, that's only half serious here, but these #DelusionsOfBrandeur have gotten out of control, especially when the Jacksonville Suns have now been claimed as a casualty.

Edited by DustDevil61
Simplification, further clarification

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Back to Lynchburg...I can't help but look at that whole identity - especially the primary and the wordmark - and think "football". It all looks better suited for a football identity than it does a baseball one. Not saying you need a neon hillcat swinging a bat, but these just for some reason don't look like they "fit". 

Cool colors and not bad marks, but as a whole for what it is, I don't think this to be one of Brandiose's better jobs. There's much better directions they could've taken with that wordmark especially. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Agreed (and with the other comments that followed).  While we make fun of Brandiose for swinging everything, there's zero connection to the game of baseball in those three Lynchburg logos.  The hats do look pretty nice though...the logos look better on a navy background than a gray background.

While I'd gladly stand first in line to level serious criticism at Brandiose, in this particular instance I feel like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. While I agree the Hillcats logo doesn't convey baseball, I respect the designers for stepping outside of their (quite significant) stylistic rut. When I first saw the design I didn't even think it was a Brandiose project...it just looks so different.

That being said, the package is far from perfect. As I mentioned earlier the wordmark is by far the weakest element. With the jagged serifs and the ridiculously over the top A I can totally understand where the football vibe is coming from. As others have pointed out the leaping cat mark is also quite poor (the front legs are out of proportion and the raised right paw just looks bolted on), although I can understand the desire to integrate the paw from the L. However the primary mark, and the colors, are quite strong and overall its a major improvement. I think a lot will depend on the overall execution of the brand.

• Like 1

We've been referred to as the "Bold City" for a while after the "Bold New City of the South" slogan from the late 60's when the city and county were consolidated. The name has had a renaissance in the area in the last decade. 

BTW Most of everyone locally hates the name change and logo, I know I do as well. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

37 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Remove the water from the shrimp and you have a mediocre logo. 

Is that's what it's supposed to be?  If so, why doesn't it continue under his right arm?  

Confirmed: "Bold City".  Stupid.

153940_web1_1102JumboShrimpLogos.jpg

Almost as stupid as that alternate of the shrimp escaping from a pot.  Almost.

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Is that's what it's supposed to be?  If so, why doesn't it continue under his right arm?  

Confirmed: "Bold City".  Stupid.

Is it just me or is that shrimp forcefully humping my home state of Florida lol

Given all that has transpired during this year's presidential campaign, every time I look at the secondary mark featuring the State of Florida, I want to call the team the "Trumpo Shrimp".

"You know, I'm automatically attracted to battleground states. I just start stumping them. It's like a magnet. Just stump. I don't even wait. And when you're a political outsider , they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the panhandle. You can do anything."

6 hours ago, insert name said:

Are minor league teams forced to have really dumb names?

They are until Brandiose is shot into the sun by some goofy inanimate object mascot thing holding a baseball bat.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

Jacksonville is called "the Bold New City of the South"...perhaps..."Bold City"?

Christ, just slap DUUUVAAALLLL on the jersey it makes just as much sense.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The pot logo really confuses me. What is that other stuff in the pot with the shrimp? A luffa? A cob of corn? What about the weird pink disks? Hot dog slices? Really pale tomatoes? Does Jacksonville have some tradition of boiling shrimp with sausage and corn?

Also...does anyone else see a similarity between the shrimp and this:

trogdor.png

• Like 8

Yep, it's a shrimp boil  And that's supposed to be corn.

JumboShrimp_ShrimpBoil_Color_u1624azc.jp

Full gallery and silly explanations here.

Two military jerseys (ugh), and that Columbia blue one is the BP jersey.

JumboShrimp_Primary_Color300_ldiz0r9p.jp

And I wish somebody could tell me why the water swirls around his arms but stops behind him.  That's nonsensical, even for a cartoon logo of an overly-muscled crustacean grinding his teeth,

• Like 1

Minor league teams in Florida had a decent stretch of great logos...but the logos for Kissimmee/Florida and Jacksonville are just so poorly designed.  They hurt the eyes.  That shrimp boil logo is just awful.  The water wings (?) logo might be worse. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

JumboShrimp_Primary_Color300_ldiz0r9p.jp

And I wish somebody could tell me why the water swirls around his arms but stops behind him.  That's nonsensical, even for a cartoon logo of an overly-muscled crustacean grinding his teeth,

I think what bothers me the most about the set is that everything is so clearly slapped together. In all three marks you can clearly see how different elements have just been moved around. While I know this is a pretty common practice, its the lack of followthrough that really bothers me. 

Case in point: The "water wings". A more complete water element is used in the "shrimp boil" logo. However, rather than create a more unified water element on the "J-shrimp" they just copied, pasted, rotated, and called it a day. That shows a real lack of professional polish that speaks to how far Brandiose has fallen.

They've gone from producing some really beautiful and thoughtful brands (Lakeland Flying Tigers, Clearwater Threshers, Casper Ghosts, etc.) to just being a minor league baseball logo factory. I know others have already lamented how formulaic they've become, but when you combine creative stagnation with poor craftsmanship...that spells disaster.

• Like 2