Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Wanna know what identity I wish would come back? The old Fresno Grizzlies look. The Teal, Brown, Orange & Yellow was beautiful and looked incredible. Much better than what they use now. 

Agreed.

The old Fresno Grizzlies design did a fantastic job of integrating local aesthetics and an unconventional color palette. Definitely unique and classy.

Latest 2 on the Zephyrs:King.pngred.png

Again, references to King Cakes and Red Eyes.

Wonder if they are going to do this ridiculousness every day for the remaining week until the 15th?  If so, I'll stop with the updates.  It's getting tedious... looks like they are beginning to repeat the background images, too. ...these are coming out on their Facebook page daily, which only seems to serve as a posting opportunity for almost all the fans to say how stupid the suggested names are, and that the Zephyrs should remain...

• Like 2

It is what it is.

On November 7, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Personally, I'm of the mind that - when done right - unique identities for minor-league franchises are vastly preferable to simply aping the parent-club's name, logos, and uniforms.

Off the top of my head, a "Top Ten" of MiLB identity-packages would include:

Bradenton Marauders
Burlington Bees

Clearwater Threshers
Daytona Tortugas (I also thought the Daytona Cubs identity - which immediately preceded the change to Tortugas - was outstanding.)  
Durham Bulls
Hillsboro Hops (Easily my favorite current identity package in MiLB.)
Idaho Falls Chukars
Modesto Nuts

Toledo Mud Hens
Visalia Rawhide (I loved the Mudville Nine identity even more.)

I'm also a fan of the identities sported by the Asheville Tourists, Cedar Rapids Kernels, Lakeland Flying Tigers, Reno Aces, and West Virginia Black Bears.

Pensacola Blue Wahoos would have to be in there too. Honourable mention to the new Rochester Red Wings as well.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 11/7/2016 at 10:23 AM, Brian in Boston said:

Personally, I'm of the mind that - when done right - unique identities for minor-league franchises are vastly preferable to simply aping the parent-club's name, logos, and uniforms.

Off the top of my head, a "Top Ten" of MiLB identity-packages would include:

Bradenton Marauders
Burlington Bees

Clearwater Threshers
Daytona Tortugas (I also thought the Daytona Cubs identity - which immediately preceded the change to Tortugas - was outstanding.)  
Durham Bulls
Hillsboro Hops (Easily my favorite current identity package in MiLB.)
Idaho Falls Chukars
Modesto Nuts

Toledo Mud Hens
Visalia Rawhide (I loved the Mudville Nine identity even more.)

I'm also a fan of the identities sported by the Asheville Tourists, Cedar Rapids Kernels, Lakeland Flying Tigers, Reno Aces, and West Virginia Black Bears.

Actually, the Mudville Nine was the team in Stockton. The Rawhide were previously the Visalia Oaks and, more briefly, the Central Valley Rockies.

27 minutes ago, mpcincal said:

Actually, the Mudville Nine was the team in Stockton. The Rawhide were previously the Visalia Oaks and, more briefly, the Central Valley Rockies.

Yes, but...

The owners of Stockton at the time they switched to the Mudville Nine identity later sold that Stockton team but retained ownership of the Mudville Nine identity. They then bought the Visalia Oaks and shortly thereafter changed the team name from Oaks to Rawhide. In short, the same owners are responsible for both the Mudville Nine and the Visalia Rawhide identities. Which is why one can buy Mudville Nine merchandise in the Visalia Rawhide web site store.

I've been all excited for New Orleans' reveal in the last few minutes, only to realize I have my time zones mixed up and that Louisiana is one hour difference from Utah, not two. Still excited for 4:30 here, then!

Having formerly lived in the outer New Orleans area (in Slidell), I'm paying special attention to this one. I've always loved the area, have a sort of "home team" anticipation towards this reveal, and hope the hopefully-still-Zephyrs nail it.

Unless they go with Red Eyes, which I think is the worst name in the list, I think there's some good that could be made out of the remaining names. Zephyrs is ideal of course, and I'm crossing fingers and toes for it, but I could genuinely see something decent made out of Tailgators or Night Owls. Even Baby Cakes could at least produce a fun little bat-wielding baby! (I stretched that last one a bit...trying to think positive here! :P

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

37 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I've been all excited for New Orleans' reveal in the last few minutes, only to realize I have my time zones mixed up and that Louisiana is one hour difference from Utah, not two. Still excited for 4:30 here, then!

Having formerly lived in the outer New Orleans area (in Slidell), I'm paying special attention to this one. I've always loved the area, have a sort of "home team" anticipation towards this reveal, and hope the hopefully-still-Zephyrs nail it.

Unless they go with Red Eyes, which I think is the worst name in the list, I think there's some good that could be made out of the remaining names. Zephyrs is ideal of course, and I'm crossing fingers and toes for it, but I could genuinely see something decent made out of Tailgators or Night Owls. Even Baby Cakes could at least produce a fun little bat-wielding baby! (I stretched that last one a bit...trying to think positive here! :P

Possible Spoiler Alert: Baby Cakes was revealed to be the name on Twitter via a roster leak.  Don't know if it was CC or Phil Hecken who posted/RT'd it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wonder how much Brandiose gets paid to churn out crap like this.  Momma shoulda raised rams80 to design minor league baseball logos.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

IMG_5339.JPG

Alright....I'm really "ack!" with the name, but there's actually a lot of good in this package aside from the name, in my mind. 

The colors are spot on. I hope was hoping if they did go "Baby Cakes", that the colorway would be Mardi Gras influenced, or else it'd flat out not work. So that's a plus. The other color plus? Using all three Mardi Gras colors as accents rather than one a primary and the other two secondary. They look great against navy, and I think that sort of color delegation was brilliant.

The logos (again, we're talking strictly logos here without regard to name) all convey some sort of New Orleans/SE Louisiana imagery and look more to be a complete, cohesive package in the same class as Brandiose's past winners. Between the beads, baby, crown, colors, King Cake, pelican, etc., this really looks like New Orleans. This is certainly a much, much better effort by Brandiose than Jacksonville and the like. 

Yes, the name stinks. Absolutely stinks. I'll probably want to think of them as "New Orleans Baseball Club" or even still the "Zephyrs" anyway. But in my mind and having lived in the area before, everything else in the package wins. I'll be buying a cap soon.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

And a "Baby Cake" isn't an actual thing, right? Aren't they King Cakes? 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.