Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Asheville is known for a lot of things, especially beer.  I don't know exactly where it ranks now, but at one point recently they had the most breweries per capita in the country.  They also house the east coast ops for some of the larger national craft breweries.  It's a great city for a lot of things and beer is one of them.

• Like 1

At least in 2016, Asheville was #3 in the United States in breweries per capita. This article from late 2017, however, lists "total microbreweries" at 25, for a rate of 28.1 breweries per 100,000 residents, which would put Asheville at #1.

20161101_2016_Breweries.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/11/01/which-u-s-cities-have-the-most-microbreweries-per-capita-infographic/#1cdd044de19b

Asheville was chosen as the East Coast brew hub for the 3rd and 4th-largest craft breweries by volume (Sierra Nevada and New Belgium). None of Asheville's own crack the top 50 craft breweries by volume, but Wicked Weed, Highland, Hi-Wire, and Green Man are all well-known. I'm probably forgetting some - I enjoy craft beer, but I'm not an aficionado.

Point is, Asheville is one of the few cities that can legitimately lay claim to a "Beer City" uniform.

• Like 4

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

8 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Point is, Asheville is one of the few cities that can legitimately lay claim to a "Beer City" uniform.

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Seems to me like we’re going through the food inspired uniforms/names craze again, but now with alcoholic beverages

I think I'm starting to understand why New Yorkers get so cranky when other cities take on their trends.  😁

On 4/17/2019 at 12:30 PM, Gothamite said:

I would prefer the opposite approach, where minor league teams create their own identities and then tie the design to the parent club.  Like the Buffalo Bisons do, or the old Appleton Foxes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No doubt their affiliates, but Appleton fans still had an unblemished Foxes legacy that spanned generations. 

Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

100 percent. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Peoria Chiefs (while affiliated with the Cubs)

spacer.png

Peoria Chiefs (while affiliated with the Cardinals)

spacer.png

The name of a local afilliated ball club can hold a lot of brand identity, if the team has existed for many years. This was a fantastic way of incorporating the major affiliate into the look and feel. 

• Like 6

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Peoria Chiefs (while affiliated with the Cubs)

spacer.png

Interesting, it looks like most of the Cubs' affiliates have some sort of CHC patch on their jerseys, even going back a number of years, and even if it in no way fits with a team's color scheme...probably an organization-wide thing.

EP-140919038.jpg&updated=201409142315&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80lg20150705-5862.jpgchicago-cubs-boise-hawks-away-jersey_1_5daf237048da42d58a69d40d57275983.jpg71YBQR5EEbL._SY606_.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

That wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.  Some organizations like the Yankees and Cardinals used to take it a step further and made affiliates adopt the parent club's whole identity.

Braves were probably the most notorious for that.

Then there's the Mets who saw the B-Mets become the Rumble Ponies and their AAA affiliate switched to Syracuse and suddenly they're now the Mets. 

3 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Braves were probably the most notorious for that.

Then there's the Mets who saw the B-Mets become the Rumble Ponies and their AAA affiliate switched to Syracuse and suddenly they're now the Mets. 

Ironically, Syracuse is another city with a traditional nickname (Chiefs) that would lend itself to simply applying the parent club's brand.  

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You’ll find Ebbets Field Flannels is well-known around these parts. 

Even infamous, considering their impact on our wallets. 😛

They're an amazing resource for throwback/fauxback concepts, given that finding color pictures (heck, any pictures) of a lot of these teams is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

Interesting, it looks like most of the Cubs' affiliates have some sort of CHC patch on their jerseys, even going back a number of years, and even if it in no way fits with a team's color scheme...probably an organization-wide thing.

Thats not too uncommon across the minor leagues. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On 4/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, Gothamite said:

Thats not too uncommon across the minor leagues. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Oh, I know...it's just the Cubs are the only ones I've ever noticed doing this (seemingly imposing it, perhaps, and often rather obtrusively) for all of their affiliates, without fail, for years.

Elsewhere, it seems like it may be up to the minor-league team. The Binghamton Rumble Ponies and Columbia Fireflies, for example, don't seem to have any Mets identification on their jerseys.

USATSI_9996721_1491525226230_9178665_ver1.0.jpg?mode=pad&bgcolor=000000&scale=both&width=1140&height=641636592262115823147-USATSI-10774111.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop