Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

6 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I want to like the logo, but.... WHY WHISTLEPIGS? 

Because Whistlepig is a fantastic and underused name for groundhogs/woodchucks/land beavers. 

February 2nd, Whistlepig Day. Let's do it. 

• Like 2

Carolina Disco Turkeys take the floor

March 24, 2021 - 18:51 PM

The world was introduced today to the Carolina Disco Turkeys, a collegiate wood bat summer team that will play in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, sharing a stadium with the High-A Winston-Salem Dash. The Disco Turkeys’ primary logo features a peacock that is part John Travolta, part Babe Ruth, taking a stance

Read More...

I would guess it would be a tough time to be a minor league baseball player and feel that you had any dignity at all.   

"I was a Rumble Pony for 3 years, but now I am a Disco Turkey.  Someone please take me out of my misery and get me a job at the desk of an Enterprise Car Rental."

• Like 3

It's kind of a bummer seeing (at least what feels like) a vast majority of minor league baseball teams adopting these ironic identities, because it really detracts from the other ones that actually work a lot better. 

d65zl0q-b9d7659b-058e-4622-81a8-ea0e8461

• Like 5

spacer.png

The Carolina Disco Turkeys aren't a minor pro team. They're a collegiate wood bat summer baseball team that's scheduled to play its home games at a minor pro ballpark - namely, Truist Stadium in Winston-Salem, NC.

Somehow, I'm a bit more forgiving of identities akin to Bacon, Bananas, Chatt-a-Hoots, Pippins, Sweets, and - yes - Disco Turkeys when they're adorning the uniforms and souvenir merchandise of amateur teams comprised of college students. I'm not saying that I'd actually slap a similar moniker on a summer collegiate squad that I owned/operated, but I'd certainly be more likely to consider such branding at said level of play.

As for minor league baseball branding, I'm a huge proponent of team identities that are distinct from that of parent clubs and - where possible - inspired by the culture, history, flora, or fauna of the host market. Might that lead to an eccentric name and logo from time to time? Certainly. That said, I feel the trend of minor league ball clubs adopting the most off-the-wall identities possible - often with exceedingly strained arguments for why they're purportedly locally relevant, and clearly in blatant attempts to garner press coverage - to have grown tiresome. In my opinion, the hits are far outweighed by the swings-and-misses.

This Disco Turkeys identity? As collegiate wood bat summer baseball brands, I'd take it over Booyah, Otterbots, Pickles, Tarp Skunks, etc.       

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Carolina Disco Turkeys aren't a minor pro team. They're a collegiate wood bat summer baseball team that's scheduled to play its home games at a minor pro ballpark - namely, Truist Stadium in Winston-Salem, NC.

Somehow, I'm a bit more forgiving of identities akin to Bacon, Bananas, Chatt-a-Hoots, Pippins, Sweets, and - yes - Disco Turkeys when they're adorning the uniforms and souvenir merchandise of amateur teams comprised of college students. I'm not saying that I'd actually slap a similar moniker on a summer collegiate squad that I owned/operated, but I'd certainly be more likely to consider such branding at said level of play.

As for minor league baseball branding, I'm a huge proponent of team identities that are distinct from that of parent clubs and - where possible - inspired by the culture, history, flora, or fauna of the host market. Might that lead to an eccentric name and logo from time to time? Certainly. That said, I feel the trend of minor league ball clubs adopting the most off-the-wall identities possible - often with exceedingly strained arguments for why they're purportedly locally relevant, and clearly in blatant attempts to garner press coverage - to have grown tiresome. In my opinion, the hits are far outweighed by the swings-and-misses.

This Disco Turkeys identity? As collegiate wood bat summer baseball brands, I'd take it over Booyah, Otterbots, Pickles, Tarp Skunks, etc.       

This is a really good analysis of the situation, Brian. I love it that these amateur wood bat leagues are adopting these charming, cartoonish brands to go with what is likely a more family friendly, carnival-like atmosphere. Going to these games is less about the baseball than it is the experience. Might as well build a brand that's memorable and part of the fun. 

And to another point, I don't mind when affiliated minor league franchises have somewhat whimsical brands, but there needs to be a limit. Teams like the Montgomery Biscuits or Albuquerque Isotopes or Hillsboro Hops, I believe, do a good job of straddling that line. 

21 hours ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

I like the logo; the name, however, doesn't work, as the identity is more peacock than turkey.

The term "disco turkey" is slang for peacock. I have friends who live in Arcadia, California. Peafowl that call said city home - as well as those in nearby municipalities such as Monrovia, Pasadena, and Altadena - are referred to as "disco turkeys". 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The term "disco turkey" is slang for peacock. I have friends who live in Arcadia, California. Peafowl that call said city home - as well as those in nearby municipalities such as Monrovia, Pasadena, and Altadena - are referred to as "disco turkeys". 

Glad there is a California connection!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

13 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Glad there is a California connection!

As I said, friends in Arcadia, California were the first people I heard use the term "disco turkey". That was three or four years ago. Since then, I've heard people use it elsewhere throughout the country. I don't know exactly how widespread use of the term happens to be, but it strikes me that "disco turkey" is to peafowl, as "trash panda" is to raccoon.   

• 2 weeks later...