Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Lynchburg new team name finalists: Link

Lynchburg Derechos
Locals know Derechos are mighty storms, symbolic of the power and strength of players working their way up to the big leagues.

Lynchburg Doves
The Lynchburg Doves pays tribute both to Lynchburg's hunting culture and the community's faith-based history.

Lynchburg Hillcats
Lynchburg Hillcats honors the seven hills Lynchburg is known for and Lynchburg's baseball history.

Lynchburg Lamb Chops
A celebration of Lynchburg's faith-based heritage, the Lamb Chops combines the community's servant-spirit with the fun of Minor League Baseball.

Lynchburg Love Apples
Love Apples is a tribute to the Lynchburg legend that Thomas Jefferson was the first to bite into tomato (called a Love Apple) proving that tomatoes weren't poisonous.

Lynchburg River Runners
Honoring Lynchburg founder John Lynch, the River Runners celebrates the man who ran goods across the James River and the town he founded.

Name the team contest ends July 19.

HumanitarianBowl.png

Yeah, seeing Hillcats on the list was kind of odd. It'd be a wasted process if it ends up winning.

Derechos is something i never would've thought of, but sounds great for a minor league team. 

The explanation for the Love Apples is ridiculous. "Based on the legend that Thomas Jefferson bit into a tomato to prove that it wasn't poisonous". What? Seriously? That's what you're gonna go with? 

I hope nobody votes for that option. Derechos is the best option here. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

19 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Derechos is a pretty cool name. The rest are kinda "meh", but I'm surprised Hillcats is an option considering that they specifically said they were going to change it.

Unlike the B-Mets and Zephyrs, the Hillcats said (on their FB page comments though) that if the fans wanted 'em to stay the Hillcats, that's what they were gonna be.

bYhYmxh.png

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's a really odd pairing.   "Symbol of our everlasting faith!  And plus, we shoot 'em!"

You just kind of summed up religion in the bible belt...

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 7/12/2016 at 10:42 AM, stolilv87 said:

Lynchburg Doves
The Lynchburg Doves pays tribute both to Lynchburg's hunting culture and the community's faith-based history.

Oh I can just imagine The News & Advance headline after their first loss...

"This is what it sounds like when doves cry"

• Like 1

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

10 hours ago, uuh70 said:

Oh I can just imagine The News & Advance headline after their first loss...

"This is what it sounds like when doves cry"

"When Doves Cry" would work better as a headline, IMO.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:41 AM, AstroBull21 said:

The Brevard County Manatees announced they are relocating to Kissimmee and Osceola County Stadium for 2017.  New names are expected to be announced as early as tomorrow.

OK, so the 6 new team names for the new Osceola County (Kissimmee) team are out, and boy are they awful. 

- Firstly, a moniker of "Florida" for a league with all teams in Florida is stupid.  If a regional name was necessary, Central Florida makes more sense or even Osceola County or Kissimmee.  Talk about pandering to the visitors.

- Secondly, the names....ugh

Florida Dragonflies: Known for their resilience and fighting spirit, a name among the likes of these prehistoric Florida insects falls in line with other wacky names in Minor League Baseball.

Florida Fire Frogs: Going head-to-head with a fire frog is not for the faint of heart. The fire from these frogs is as hot as a Central Florida summer and will leave their opponents feelin’ the burn.

Florida Mud Kickers: In a nod to Osceola’s strong heritage, the Florida Mud Kickers will help preserve two great American traditions – baseball and rodeo. Saddle up, and let’s play ball!

Florida Rodeo Clowns: The Rodeo Clowns commemorate the world famous Silver Spurs Rodeo. So grab your hat and boots and join the team for an experience more fun than a barrel of Rodeo Clowns.

Florida Sorcerers: The Florida Sorcerers speak to the region’s strong entertainment industry. Fans can expect an enchanted ballpark where the mystical forces of good and evil come to life.

Florida Toucans: The Florida Toucans celebrate the area’s tropical climate that the world “flocks” to (more than 66 million visitors a year in fact!). Imagine steel drum bands, tropical shirts, and an umbrella in your favorite ballpark drink

If it were my, out of the six I'd lean towards Toucans but it'll probably end up stupid like Rodeo Clowns.

As someone who lives in the Kissimmee area and is excited for the team, these names are awful and extremely disappointing. The trend of over the top wacky names is getting a bit old. It's minor league ball, I get it, and it's all good fun but this is just so forced. At the least I wish they had used Kissimmee or Osceola as the location name. It's the Florida State League, all 12 teams are in Florida, why name it Florida!?

• Like 1
niagaraq.png

I love fun minor-league nicknames as much as anyone around here, as I've made clear that the YardGoats, Bananas, & Biscuits are my favorite team names.

This one as well as the New Orleans Zephyrs' rebrand is disappointing, though this one is more so than New Orleans'. The Manatees name was good and unique. I guess Brandiose must be pretty bored and is asking teams to rebrand so that they have something to do. Hopefully they change their mind on the "Florida" name, but I doubt it.

Out of the options listed, Toucans is the best option with Fireflies a close second. The main reason I put Toucans ahead is because it's a unique name, has great potential for a bright & colorful logo set, and we just got a new team with the Fireflies name this year. We don't need a second. 

Based of the descrpitions, Mud Kickers sounds stupid and somewhat-generic in a Minor League Baseball way, Florida Sorcerers sounds like a statewide Harry Potter fan club, Fire Frogs is "meh", and Rodeo Clowns sounds terrifying. 

Toucans it is then. 

• Like 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

It's a relocation so I understand wanting to rebrand. But yeah.

My submission was Osceola Spurs, or Kissimmee Spurs. Either way it should reflect the community. It's one thing if this is a major league club, but sorry people in St. Augustine, Vero Beach or Key West aren't going to give two craps about the Florida Rodeo Clowns. Don't name it after the state when your ticket buyers are going to be locals. Tourists aren't going to drive all the way down US192 away from all the parks for a Rodeo Clowns - Tortugas match up.

• Like 1
niagaraq.png