MLB 2021 Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about the Dodgers roster, other than they're the defending champs* and supposed to be pretty good again.  Do they need a 1B?  Or is he signing to be the 25th man?  Maybe he'll wear #99 and contribute nothing like Manny.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don't know much about the Dodgers roster, other than they're the defending champs* and supposed to be pretty good again.  Do they need a 1B?  Or is he signing to be the 25th man?  Maybe he'll wear #99 and contribute nothing like Manny.

VmWIn6B.png

Things would be a lot different if Rob Ford was still running the 6.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does Cory Seager get bullied out of #5, does Pujols simply pick a different (normal) number, or does he go with #05, #95, or something stupid like that?

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Does Cory Seager get bullied out of #5, does Pujols simply pick a different (normal) number, or does he go with #05, #95, or something stupid like that?

I don’t think numbers can be reassigned during the season

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Does Cory Seager get bullied out of #5...?

Bullied? When an all-time great joins a new team, it is not unusual for the player wearing that all-timer's number to give it up. 

The Brewers' Gorman Thomas gave up no. 44 when Hank Aaron joined the team.

The Mets' Jim Beauchamp switched from no. 24 to no. 5 upon the arrival of Willie Mays, and Ron Swoboda switched from no. 14 to no. 4 when Gil Hodges became manager.

Even a player who has some standing in his own right will sometimes defer to an all-time great, as John Franco of the Mets did when he gave up no. 31 to Mike Piazza, switching to no. 45.

17 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t think numbers can be reassigned during the season

Since when? The Mays and Piazza switches happened during a season.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Numbers switch midseason all the time. As for Pujols, I hope he can find it in himself to wear another number for the last four months of his career. He can wear 99 like Manny did at the end.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Numbers switch midseason all the time. As for Pujols, I hope he can find it in himself to wear another number for the last four months of his career. He can wear 99 like Manny did at the end.

If Pujols wants '99', he will have to a deal with ....*checks roster* ... pitching coach Mark Prior.

I saw, I came, I left.

7 hours ago, DEAD! said:

If Pujols wants '99', he will have to a deal with ....*checks roster* ... pitching coach Mark Prior.

Could you imagine the NFL if Aaron Rodgers gets traded to Denver but #12 is worn by the assistant defensive quality control coach?  It's soooo stupid that baseball coaches need to wear numbers - especially dudes like the hitting coach that never actually step foot on the field.  

Sorry Al, but the bullpen catcher is wearing the number you want - here's #68 - enjoy!

Phillies backup catcher Andrew Knapp switched numbers a few times during a season.  He had #34 through the 2017 season, then switched to #15 after Roy Halladay died, figuring it'd be retired.  Then during 2020, the Phillies decided they'd retire #15 for Dick Allen, so he switched to #7 for a couple of days, then to #5.

14 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Well...his brother is premier of Ontario.🤷‍♂️

The premier is appointed as the province's head of government by the lieutenant governor of Ontario and presides over the Executive Council, or Cabinet. The Executive Council Act stipulates that the leader of the government party is known as the "Premier and President of the Council". Due to Ontario being a unicameral Westminster-style parliamentary government, the premier is typically the leader of the party which has the most support in the Legislative Assembly at that time.

This confuses me.  Is he equivilent to an American governer?  And how does that appointment thing work - I looked up "lieutenant governer of Ontario" and it says

"the viceregal representative in Ontario of the Canadian monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, who operates distinctly within the province but is also shared equally with the ten other jurisdictions of Canada, as well as the other Commonwealth realms and any subdivisions thereof, and resides predominantly in her oldest realm, the United Kingdom. "

I'm assuming there's just elections and the Lieutenant Governor honors the results of those when making his appointments, but it sounds like a system that could be pretty easily corrupted.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:59 AM, DEAD! said:

I guess it's a good thing Prior is the pitching coach on a team with guys like Kershaw, Bauer, Price, May, Buehler, Urias, etc., because I can only imagine the immense frustration he would have if he was the pitching coach on a team full of lousy starting pitchers and left to think "if I had any :censored: ing luck with my health, I would've have a much better career than any of these guys". 

Generation K, Wood+Prior, the more recent Mets budding pitching dynasty...if you're building your future around dominant starting pitchers, you might as well be building your future on a foundation of beach sand. 

spacer.png

With the Twins putting up historically bad numbers, I was a bit checked out.  

Today I saw that Otani has 13 home runs and a 2.10 ERA. This is the kind of thing I always thought would happen when I was a kid because I didn't "get it."  If this was 30 years ago, it might even take sports-news priority over the daily repetitive coverage of an unhappy QB in May.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

With the Twins putting up historically bad numbers, I was a bit checked out.  

Today I saw that Otani has 13 home runs and a 2.10 ERA. This is the kind of thing I always thought would happen when I was a kid because I didn't "get it."  If this was 30 years ago, it might even take sports-news priority over the daily repetitive coverage of an unhappy QB in May.

I feel like we're talking about Ohtani a lot and simultaneously not enough. I always figured that a good hitting pitcher would be just kind of good at both hitting and pitching, or really good at pitching and just good enough to get use at the plate sometimes (and there's been a few NL guys who fit that description), but I never imagined the guy would be Babe Ruth. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived