USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

16 minutes ago, tigers said:

Why not the 3 point conversion from the 5 yard line?

Doesn't the NFL already allow forward passes before the scrimmage line?

If you wanted some different rules then why not 2 Power Plays per Half or Game.

Advancing team calls for power play which lasts 2 minutes and the opposition must play with 2 less players for that time or until scored on.

You score you kick from anywhere you want, 10 yard line 1 point, 30 yard line 2 points etc.

Penalties in oppositions Touchdown area (25 yards to Goal) you lose a player like hockey.

If the Touchdown is converted by the same player from 20 yards they get 3 points

Only 3 defensive players on the line at one time.

This isn’t a video game. The USFL wants to pretend they are an actual professional football league.

1 minute ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This isn’t a video game. The USFL wants to pretend they are an actual professional football league.

It's not working real well for them so far.

Two of my suggestions are way out there but could be fun to watch, the others are similar to other sports that work fine.

When other leagues altered rules there was a farcical outcry until they realised how awesome those changes were.

If you are going to change to be better than another league then make it so spectacular that it's God like.

• Dislike 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

1 hour ago, tigers said:

It's not working real well for them so far.

Two of my suggestions are way out there but could be fun to watch, the others are similar to other sports that work fine.

When other leagues altered rules there was a farcical outcry until they realised how awesome those changes were.

If you are going to change to be better than another league then make it so spectacular that it's God like.

The double pass came from the XFL. These new leagues will always try out something new to get attention.

In the NFL Landry couldn't throw again.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The double pass came from the XFL. These new leagues will always try out something new to get attention.

In the NFL Landry couldn't throw again.

Those Defenders uniforms were quite good.

With the rules though if you want to seperate yourself from the others you need to do something the stands out.

Maybe even try 12 a side?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tigers said:

Those Defenders uniforms were quite good.

With the rules though if you want to seperate yourself from the others you need to do something the stands out.

Maybe even try 12 a side?

That's a Canada thing. The original XFL allowed one receiver to have a running start at the beginning of a play as long as they didn't pass the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped. They took that from the CFL  and Arena Football.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

28 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's a Canada thing. The original XFL allowed one receiver to have a running start at the beginning of a play as long as they didn't pass the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped. They took that from the CFL  and Arena Football.

So then try 10 a side.

That's right, mix it up like i posted before. Take Hockey's penalty play or soccer's advantage (which btw should be in basketball).

The thing is to keep it similar to the NFL but not unrecognisable from Gridiron.

• LOL 1

10 hours ago, tigers said:

So then try 10 a side.

That's right, mix it up like i posted before. Take Hockey's penalty play or soccer's advantage (which btw should be in basketball).

The thing is to keep it similar to the NFL but not unrecognisable from Gridiron.

Adding or removing players is a no-go with US leagues. It'd be like Rugby Union teams switching over to Rugby League rules. When you take off players you change how the rest of the game works. 

Any time you change the number of players you also need to adjust the dimensions of the field to accommodate those changes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The sweet spot for rule changes with these upstart league is making tweaks that are noticeable enough to make you look innovative but without fundamentally changing the game people recognize. I thought the XFL did a great job of this. Some of their ideas, like preventing the receiving team on kickoffs from moving until the ball is caught, were brilliant and added a new dimension to the game in small increments. 

In general, these leagues are a good platform to test out improvements to the game, and the NFL should really work with them in concert on that point. But straying too far can be a turnoff. I still struggle with watching CFL games. There's enough big, fundamental differences between CFL and the NFL to make me lose interest. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

In general, these leagues are a good platform to test out improvements to the game, and the NFL should really work with them in concert on that point. But straying too far can be a turnoff. I still struggle with watching CFL games. There's enough big, fundamental differences between CFL and the NFL to make me lose interest. 

I'm the other way with the CFL--granted, it ain't like the games are broadcast on network TV south of the border, but the couple times I did watch them, I found myself enamored--from the wider and longer field, three downs to advance, the fact that the field goal post is still at the front of the end zone like in the old days of American pro ball, the running start one offensive player was allowed prior to the snap (that I've since seen make its way into college and the NFL with certain jet sweeps), of course the free-for-all jersey numbers regardless of position (that again the NFL is now allowing)...it was just fascinating for me to observe.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I'm the other way with the CFL--granted, it ain't like the games are broadcast on network TV south of the border, but the couple times I did watch them, I found myself enamored--from the wider and longer field, three downs to advance, the fact that the field goal post is still at the front of the end zone like in the old days of American pro ball, the running start one offensive player was allowed prior to the snap (that I've since seen make its way into college and the NFL with certain jet sweeps), of course the free-for-all jersey numbers regardless of position (that again the NFL is now allowing)...it was just fascinating for me to observe.

Fascinating, for sure. I watched a lot more CFL last year thanks to ESPN+ broadcasting most of the games in the U.S., and I was certainly curious, but mostly as a novelty. I found the three down thing particularly difficult to adjust to, and got frustrated by watching teams go two-and-out so often that I couldn't adjust to the rhythm of it. 

Certainly, with more time I'd get used to it. But you have to want to stick around to give it more time, and I didn't feel compelled to do so. 

On 3/25/2022 at 12:47 PM, gosioux76 said:

Fascinating, for sure. I watched a lot more CFL last year thanks to ESPN+ broadcasting most of the games in the U.S., and I was certainly curious, but mostly as a novelty. I found the three down thing particularly difficult to adjust to, and got frustrated by watching teams go two-and-out so often that I couldn't adjust to the rhythm of it. 

I had a similar viewpoint a long, long time ago, but about 6 or so years ago went to Canada regularly for work and started watching. Took some adjustments but now I prefer the CFL game to the NFL. It's just flat out more exciting for me to watch and the last three minutes of a ton of games are so exciting and fun it's crazy.

On the flipside I've tried to watch various arena leagues so many times over the years but just can't bring myself to really like it that much. 

• Like 1

I saw a promo for USFL during the USMNT game last night.

Kind of felt like as streams crossing from a REEL LINE MENT thread here to an actual, real sports product.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know any of the specifics in the league's broadcast deals? I know networks are desperate for live sports to drive viewers, but I was stunned to see the debut game will be aired simultaneously on Fox and NBC. Buying airtime for both?

• LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Don't need to buy airtime from your owner (Fox) and NBC has an interest in seeing this be successful so they're going to hype this up along with Fox.

• Like 2

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

So halfway through game one:

- they're using drones way too much

- first down marker wasn't working to start. Was weird not seeing it. 

- offenses marched down the field to start then defense took over. 

- Asking a QB to explain how he got hurt, not the greatest idea. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I find it odd that there’s been almost no reference to the original USFL in this broadcast. They’ve made several mentions of this being the first-ever game in the USFL, without calling it the relaunched or new USFL. 

I wonder if that’s a result of the lawsuit by owners of the prior league?