2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There was a great article in the Defector about nepotism in the NFL and that it's way worse than you think. There's not only nepotism with family hirings, but also nepotism in ideas.

You would think the Matt LaFleur and Sean McVays of the world would show that innovation in the football space is worth pursuing. Polian hasn't been in the league for a decade. Turn the page.

At least there seems to more upward mobility in the NFL when it comes to coaching than the NHL. The LaFleurs or McVays aside, it seems like if you're a competent coordinator you can at least get a shot. 

The NHL cycles the same five guys or so through every coaching vacancy. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There was a great article in the Defector about nepotism in the NFL and that it's way worse than you think. There's not only nepotism with family hirings, but also nepotism in ideas.

You would think the Matt LaFleur and Sean McVays of the world would show that innovation in the football space is worth pursuing. Polian hasn't been in the league for a decade. Turn the page.

That was a good article and not surprising. I get angry every time I see Bill Belichick's dumb looking kid on the sideline.

Also Sean McVay's grandfather was head coach of the Giants. He had some ins to the coaching world. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, IceCap said:

At least there seems to more upward mobility in the NFL when it comes to coaching than the NHL. The LaFleurs or McVays aside, it seems like you're a competent coordinator you can at least get a shot. 

The NHL cycles the same five guys or so through every coaching vacancy. 

Feels like NHL coaches have the shortest shelf-life, but seem to get the most chances. If you're even briefly a little bit good at one NHL stop you're guaranteed at least two more head gigs. Bruce Boudreau has only been to the conference finals once, he's lost in the first round six times(!), but somehow he's now coaching his fourth team. I refuse to believe there's not anyone out there better than him. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

Never count Brady out. It was amazing how he'd go into another gear in the playoffs all of those seasons with the Patriots, but watching him do it for a team I was cheering for was something else entirely. The dude's playing with house money at this point in his career and it's unreal.

Whatever. Montana is still better. 😎 

Spoiler

Calm down, kids. It's just a long running joke between IceCap and me. No need to fire up all the takes telling me how wrong I am.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

Call me when Brady becomes the face of LA Gear. Until then, Montana rules. 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Feels like NHL coaches have the shortest shelf-life, but seem to get the most chances. If you're even briefly a little bit good at one NHL stop you're guaranteed at least two more head gigs. Bruce Boudreau has only been to the conference finals once, he's lost in the first round six times(!), but somehow he's now coaching his fourth team. I refuse to believe there's not anyone out there better than him. 

Look at how long Mike Keenan and Tortz managed to stretch one Cup win out for. 

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Whatever. Montana is still better. 😎 

Hide contents

Calm down, kids. It's just a long running joke between IceCap and me. No need to fire up all the takes telling me how wrong I am.

The real GOAT is Ken Anderson anyway. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

You would think with all of the self created turmoil that this wouldn’t be the year, but I feel like a lot of the most BS drama filled Pats seasons ended up with Brady lifting another trophy so, 🤷‍♂️

Im genuinely not worried about the Bucs facing a single NFC team except for one. The 49ers. I just have this feeling that them getting that defense settled a bit more right before the playoffs is going to vault them deep into the playoffs. It’s contingent on Garrapolo not tossing games away, but I kinda feel like that defense may be able to cover enough of their offensive weaknesses up. 

Yea, it does feel like one of the teams that gets to the Super Bowl always takes the unexpected route, don't they? I'd still wager my money on this year being Rodgers' last stand in the other Bay and him getting his second SB appearance, losing to Kansas City and their crew reclaiming their place as kings of the hill. 

Y'know honestly, this is a pretty open postseason in terms of what is gonna happen and that's kinda nice to see for a change. 

• Like 4

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

19 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Kind of ironic that the only successful hire related to Belichick is a former player. (Vrabel). 

Fwiw, Vrabel supposedly still falls under the "Belichick Tree" since he coached under Bill O'Brien, who coached under Belichick

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

LOLZ the Eagles once got the 14th overall pick for Sam Bradford, and now got the 16th overall pick for Carson Wentz.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, I was thinking about better draft systems, and came up with this:

What if a team's draft order was determined as soon as they became eliminated from playoff contention?  So the team that's eliminated first locks up the #1 pick, even if it's week 10, and so on.  That way everyone has incentive to play hard and not tank late in the season because their slot is already set in stone.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Also, I was thinking about better draft systems, and came up with this:

What if a team's draft order was determined as soon as they became eliminated from playoff contention?  So the team that's eliminated first locks up the #1 pick, even if it's week 10, and so on.  That way everyone has incentive to play hard and not tank late in the season because their slot is already set in stone.

I like that a lot. Tiebreakers could be record and point differential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, See Red said:

Not NFL but the other GOAT is a Belichick disciple.

Nick-Saban3.jpg

Couldn't cut the mustard in the pros (in typical BB coaching tree fashion), ran away to the minor leagues.

Gary Kubiak or Doug Pederson winning 1 SB >>> Saban winning a dozen college titles

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png