MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 6/6/2022 at 8:29 PM, burgundy said:

The Dodgers didn't really get the memo either, and put in less effort. "Slap Los Dodgers on there and make the sleeves look sweat-stained. Done."

Why don't you just apply that treatment to the backs for the Los Dodgers, Jesus Christ

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Dodgers city connect uniform and college softball teams usually wearing all color uniforms brings up a point-

Why don’t more (MLB and College) baseball teams do this?

It was a thing briefly in the 1970s. Baltimore wore all-orange, Cleveland all-red, and most famously Oakland all-yellow AND all-green. Even the proud San Francisco Giants got in on the trend; they had an all-orange road look. The Padres had a few seasons where they were all-yellow both home AND road. The infamous all-navy-blue set with white pinstripes that was pitched to Steinbrenner might’ve ended up being the straw that broke the camel’s back with that trend. Or maybe the Pirates’ mix-and-match. Or maybe the all-navy White Sox uniforms with the hideous shorts. Obviously the powder blue trend was monochromatic too, but more akin to grey. 

Why isn’t that look used more today? I’d say maybe the excessiveness that it led to in the ‘70s could be a cautionary tale. Of course, one could wear it without the other, uglier parts of ‘70s design trends. I’d say, though, that the ‘80s are more in overall, with Stranger Things serving as a cultural touchstone that has led to a massive renaissance of ‘80s-inspired fashion. The throwbacks to the powder blue looks (whose original dying gasp came in the latter half of the 1980s) might’ve been an early signal that this nostalgia was growing. 

Overall, fashion trends are famously cyclical. Hopefully, the next time mono baseball looks come into fashion, the designs going on those uniforms (and the usage of the uniforms themselves) will be more…responsible than those from the ‘70s. Also, hopefully mono football looks will be out by then. 🙄 

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

When was this?

Huh. My mistake. Dressed to the Nines has them with orange alt shirts in the late 1970s, but never orange pants. I thought for sure those were available throwbacks in MVP 2004. 

31 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Angels City Connects look great on the field tonight. 

They really do. Seeing them in action might put them neck & neck with the White Sox for #1 City Connect for me.

• Love 1

Seeing the Angels CC in action, and they look a bit crappy.

The front patch where the number is, and only stripes around one sleeves is awful imo, they look like ice cream salesmen. 

Vanilla ice cream with some strawberry jam on it. So random!

Same with the navy blue back numbers, do not match the red name on the back or script on the front.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No.  A thousand times no.  Fundamentally no.

The best name is California Angels.  (And, no, that does not imply that the Angels are the only team in the state, any more than a city name implies that a given team is the only team in that city.)

The next best choice is Los Angeles Angels, which was the team's original name, and was a longstanding name in the PCL.  

The name Anaheim Angels is terrible, and is unfit for Major League Baseball.  It should never have happened, and should certainly never return.

Why is that?

If they play in that area, what is wrong with it?

17 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Huh. My mistake. Dressed to the Nines has them with orange alt shirts in the late 1970s, but never orange pants. I thought for sure those were available throwbacks in MVP 2004. 

The Orioles did wear an all orange alt uni in '71 an '72. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

I may be late to noticing this, but the Rangers wore their royal blue alternates today, and it appears they have subtly removed the light blue trim from the sleeves. Not sure if this is new or if it’s been the case the last couple of years. Either way, it’s an improvement in my book.

dih50ps.jpg

new (above) vs. old (below)

pDBmVcv.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ark said:

It looks better with the light blue, otherwise they have one of the most boring identities in MLB.

I like the idea of the powder blue alternate. It’s just weird that on the royal blue alternate, the powder was only on the stripes, and nowhere else. If they wanted to include powder into the color scheme, they should have at least gone all the way & embraced it fully.

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I like the idea of the powder blue alternate. It’s just weird that on the royal blue alternate, the powder was only on the stripes, and nowhere else. If they wanted to include powder into the color scheme, they should have at least gone all the way & embraced it fully.

But haven't they already? I mean, they've got a head-to-toe powder blue alt in their rotation. If anything, it seems that by including it on the trim they were at least acknowledging powder blue has a place within its official color palette. 

It feels like, more often than not, we criticize teams for making use of a tertiary color that isn't part of normal color scheme. I'm thinking about the age-old (and, frankly, tired) argument against gray facemasks in the NFL. At least in the Rangers case, the older version of those navy uniforms acknowledged the full depth of the club's colors.

If there's a criticism I'd make, it's that they should incorporate it more fully rather than removing it altogether.  

On 6/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, sitboaf said:

But to me, the ChiSox and Angels failed, making delightful alts, while misreading the assignment.

I'm going to disagree with that sentiment.

It is mostly changing the name on the front to Southside but for a section of town that takes a lot of garbage, not just locally from North Side and suburban residents but on a national level, to openly proclaim yourself the Southside meant a lot. 

It wasn't mentioned in the reveal but the reverse pins also drew a lot of comps locally to the Chicago American Giants who represented Black Chicago and played only a few yards away from 35th and Shields.

To blend in with that the association with the Sox brand and its connection to hip hop with the Polo G song in the reveal struck a nerve in terms of pride of place. It's messy because there's a lot of chicken/egg stuff going on since the gothic font has been used by the Sox for ages and that found its way into hip hop and then back into the uniform but its there.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

But haven't they already? I mean, they've got a head-to-toe powder blue alt in their rotation. If anything, it seems that by including it on the trim they were at least acknowledging powder blue has a place within its official color palette. 

It feels like, more often than not, we criticize teams for making use of a tertiary color that isn't part of normal color scheme. I'm thinking about the age-old (and, frankly, tired) argument against gray facemasks in the NFL. At least in the Rangers case, the older version of those navy uniforms acknowledged the full depth of the club's colors.

If there's a criticism I'd make, it's that they should incorporate it more fully rather than removing it altogether.  

Yes, being only one stripe on either sleeve was awkward and looked forced. That is the issue.

However, I think adding more powder blue to the primary alternate jersey (royal blue) would feel even more forced than it already was considering it's nowhere on the primary home and aways. So removing it was the best option.

• Like 1