MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

20 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Do we have a schedule for when the Brewers are wearing these? I'm seeing them in a few weeks and curious to see what uniforms I'll get. 

Here's the link to the City Connect schedule: https://www.mlb.com/brewers/fans/city-connect#schedule

Looks like 10 games between now and the end of the season, including the entire Blue Jays series. 

• Like 1

Everything about the look isn't as good as the team's primary package, except for that wonderful little baseball grill, which is perfection and I hope lives on well beyond the City Connect cash grab. If nothing else, it should live on in the signage of the brat stands and tailgate areas around the ballpark. I'm not interested in giving MLB a cent this year, but a shirt with that is testing my resolve.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 minutes ago, hormone said:

If MKE is a popular abbreviation, why has every score bug I’ve ever seen use MIL?

Same as WAS vs WSH.  MIL is the official abbreviation used, but MKE is the airport abbreviation and is the one commonly used among locals.

• Like 4

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

6 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Same as WAS vs WSH.  MIL is the official abbreviation used, but MKE is the airport abbreviation and is the one commonly used among locals.

I didn’t know the locals used that. It’s kind of fitting because the hat looks like it would be for sale in a travel kiosk in their airport.

• Like 2
KISSwall09.jpg

Milwaukee's City Connect is the epitome of "meh" for me. It's not necessarily bad, but it just doesn't really do much for me, either.

I think a big part of that is because they didn't match the jersey with powder blue pants, which I'm honestly baffled they didn't do, especially given the program's proclivity towards monochrome color looks. It's also strange that now they seem to have a new pair of white pants that matches their regular uniform set, even though their main home is off-white. If you're going to add a new pair of pants anyway, why not make them powder blue to match the jersey, and further tribute the throwback look?

I didn't like the white in the sleeve stripes until I saw the beer foam explanation. I still don't love it purely from an aesthetic standpoint, but the reasoning makes it passable for me. 

Otherwise, the rest of the logo set feels pretty generic (the jersey wordmark is too small), and I don't even really like the grill logo much, either.

Out of all of the City Connects so far, this one's very much middle-of-the-pack for me, probably right around Miami or Kansas City. It's definitely not a uniform that I feel we needed.

• Like 5

On 6/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Big Yellow Flag said:

The cap logo well and truly sucks. I can't help reading it as Mike, and also it's ugly and bad.

The rest of it is... Fine, I guess I know they say they've been working on these for two years, but I would have expected something better for that kind of time. Even the storytelling copy is lackluster, much thinner than usual, as is the tenuous Connection to the City. The People's Flag colors are also just standard Brewers colors, and is there a franchise out there whose fans don't tailgate?

I do love the grill logo, as minor league as it is. Would have made a much better hat logo than Mike.

I'll be honest .. as a local, I fought "MKE" for the longest time. The traditional abbreviation for Milwaukee was MILW (watch any old Bucks game from the 1970s ABC era). MIL was closer to that and felt more intuitive to me. MKE seemed to be preferred by transplants who wanted to be cool and trendy.

But.... there's no denying that MKE has taken over as the preferred abbreviation over the past 20 years. I've also admitted that it means more to me that they were able to work the hidden 414 in. That resonates more with me as a local.... even if I live in that "other" city down the lakeshore now.

15 hours ago, hormone said:

If MKE is a popular abbreviation, why has every score bug I’ve ever seen use MIL?

I feel like airport codes really became a thing to represent a city with the advent of Twitter. I think users defaulted to the airport codes as local hashtags because they are more distinguishable. I know here in Edmonton, our airport code (YEG) has really taken off as a local hashtag instead of EDM, which is also used by electronic dance music enthusiasts on Twitter.  Perhaps Milwaukeeans didn't want all the posts about their city getting lumped in with tweets about mothers-in-law. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

I feel like airport codes really became a thing to represent a city with the advent of Twitter. I think users defaulted to the airport codes as local hashtags because they are more distinguishable. I know here in Edmonton, our airport code (YEG) has really taken off as a local hashtag instead of EDM, which is also used by electronic dance music enthusiasts on Twitter.  Perhaps Milwaukeeans didn't want all the posts about their city getting lumped in with tweets about mothers-in-law. 

It's nice for a city when the accepted abbreviation and the airport code line up (ATL, PHX). In cases like Milwaukee or Charlotte, usually locals have to fight the teams/leagues to change to more popular airport code instead of the default "first three letters of city name". I've found that generally there's more success in that in minor leagues. The Knights and Checkers, both "Triple-A" minor league teams, use CLT as their abbreviation, as does Charlotte FC, but the Hornets refuse to change. I wonder who exactly the obstacle is: the team, who tried to make "CHA" a thing for a while, or the league, who doesn't want to use CLT because (and I say this with heavy sarcasm) it could kind of be read like a body part that most consider to be inappropriate. These three-letter abbreviations are always read letter by letter so the point is moot anyway.

Just speaking generally I prefer abbreviations that capture as much of the word as it can as opposed to simply the first three letters. MKE > MIL because it implies more of "Milwaukee" than MIL does. Same goes for WSH vs. WAS, CLT vs. CHA, PHX vs. PHO, etc. I've noticed this is more popular in Canada as well. Montreal, Calgary, and Winnipeg all use abbreviations that aren't the standard first three.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

7 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Just speaking generally I prefer abbreviations that capture as much of the word as it can as opposed to simply the first three letters. MKE > MIL because it implies more of "Milwaukee" than MIL does. Same goes for WSH vs. WAS, CLT vs. CHA, PHX vs. PHO, etc. I've noticed this is more popular in Canada as well. Montreal, Calgary, and Winnipeg all use abbreviations that aren't the standard first three.

I agree with preferring abbrevations that seem to capture more of a city's name, and make them more specific to that city. It always seems awkward to me, too, when an abbreviation forms a word or part of a word. I think that's why I prefer MTL to MON, CGY to CAL, WPG to WIN, WSH to WAS, PHX to PHO, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CDCLT said:

It's nice for a city when the accepted abbreviation and the airport code line up (ATL, PHX). In cases like Milwaukee or Charlotte, usually locals have to fight the teams/leagues to change to more popular airport code instead of the default "first three letters of city name". I've found that generally there's more success in that in minor leagues. The Knights and Checkers, both "Triple-A" minor league teams, use CLT as their abbreviation, as does Charlotte FC, but the Hornets refuse to change. I wonder who exactly the obstacle is: the team, who tried to make "CHA" a thing for a while, or the league, who doesn't want to use CLT because (and I say this with heavy sarcasm) it could kind of be read like a body part that most consider to be inappropriate. These three-letter abbreviations are always read letter by letter so the point is moot anyway.

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

I agree with preferring abbrevations that seem to capture more of a city's name, and make them more specific to that city. It always seems awkward to me, too, when an abbreviation forms a word or part of a word. I think that's why I prefer MTL to MON, CGY to CAL, WPG to WIN, WSH to WAS, PHX to PHO, etc.

You both should be glad neither of you lives in or is from [my hometown of] Pensacola, Florida or Sioux City, Iowa.

Their respective three-leter IATA codes? PNS...SUX.

• LOL 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 hours ago, NicDB said:

I'll be honest .. as a local, I fought "MKE" for the longest time. The traditional abbreviation for Milwaukee was MILW (watch any old Bucks game from the 1970s ABC era). MIL was closer to that and felt more intuitive to me. MKE seemed to be preferred by transplants who wanted to be cool and trendy.

But.... there's no denying that MKE has taken over as the preferred abbreviation over the past 20 years. I've also admitted that it means more to me that they were able to work the hidden 414 in. That resonates more with me as a local.... even if I live in that "other" city down the lakeshore now.

I have no issue with MKE, as I simply have no dog in the fight (though interestingly, my own local airport is TLV despite being technically located in Lod). My issue is the logo itself, which you say you like but I just can't.