MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

31 minutes ago, bowld said:

I actually love what San Diego did here. Brings back the nostalgic 90's beach vibes with the neon sunscreen and T&C Surf Design

spacer.pngNeon%20Zinc.jpg

Not a great analogy because t&c is distinctly hawaiian and from the 80's if you want 90's san diego surf you go with rusty...

spacer.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

It's official for the Padres: 

Like the colors and vibe. But the hats are a disappointment, Nike mailed it in there. Basically a colorway. A Swingin Friar colorway could’ve worked as a hat logo switch up from the interlocking SD. 

spacer.png

Now that all of this year’s City Connect uniforms are revealed, IMO the Astros and Royals are the best in 2022. I have the White Sox and Marlins as best in 2021. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Hurl 4
NYCdog.png

my City Connect Uni ranking (because no one asked)

1. Miami 

2. Arizona (cream pants were a must) 

3.  KC Royal Fountains (love the cap) 

4. Southside

5. Angels

6. Cubs 

7. Astros

8. Giants

9. Colorado (cap kills it) 

10.  Brewers 

11. San Diego 

12. Nats

13. Boston

14. Dodgers 

• Like 1

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 6/25/2022 at 9:05 PM, Old School Fool said:

MLB The Show 22 is using a different version of the Brewers City Connect jersey for some reason. I'm assuming this is the original version.

WB0Qlfm.jpg

Just saw this. Kind of a shame, as I like the actual bubbles on top of the yellow sleeve piping. They said the piping on top was supposed to look like the foam from the head of a pint of beer. But then it's just white. I wonder what happened that made them decide to go with solid white as opposed to the white bubbles? Still like them, but this prototype actually has bubbles (or foam)! 

• Like 1

The San Diego uniform is pretty nice except for the hats and helmet, which do look pretty bland just being one colour.

My ranking of the CCs -

Unranked - Miami and Angels

I dont feel I can really lump the two in with all the rest, as one is a tribute to a team from Havana and the other takes little inspiration from the actual city the team has been based in since the 1960s, so in my view, those two teams are outlayers.

So, for the other dozen, here is my ranking

1. Arizona Diamondbacks - They finally have a script logo that is on a level with their wonderful A and db Snakehead logos, and the colour combination looks really nice and very Southwestern.
  2. Chicago White Sox - Love the Southside script and the Greystone texture.
  3. Houston Astros - The gradient and the Space City script look awesome, and the Hat logo caps it off nicely.
  4. Washington Nationals - Love the colours and the shirt and socks pattern.
  5. Kansas City Royals - Nice colour choices and the fountain inspired KC is great.
  6. San Francisco Giants - Like the creativity and the image of the Golden Gate bridge on the sleeves.
  7. Milwaukee Brewers - The Blue and the grill are both great, but the MKE/414 cap logo really lets this one down, falling between two stools. If it came with the Beer Barrel Dude or the BiG on the cap, this one would have ranked higher.
  8. San Diego Padres - Like the Brew Crew uniform, this is let down by it's cap. In this case, the cap looks pretty lazy and upsets the colour balance, which is a shame because the rest of the uniform is really nice.
  9. Boston Red Sox - I like the idea, but for some reason I can't put my finger on, it hasn't clicked for me. I do like the stencilled Boston font on the front though.
  10. Chicago Cubs - There isn't anything really wrong with it, just that it feels far less than the sum of it's parts. The Respect Our Neighbourhood tag, the municipal device sleeve patch and the Wrigleyville script are all nice, but for some reason, the end result just feels a bit lacking.
  11. Colorado Rockies - I like the idea, but the purple clashes horribly with the green and the cap logo looks awful.
  12. Los Angeles Dodgers - This one looks as half assed as Rigby from Regular Show. The design is uninspiring and the Los Dodgers script on the caps looks woeful.

So out of 14 teams, we got good to great unforms for 8 of them(Diamondbacks, White Sox, Astros Miami, Angels, Nats, Royals and Giants), 2 that could have been up there with better caps (Padres and the Brew Crew), 3 that had good ideas but just failed to pull them off (Boston, Rockies and Cubs) and the uniform for LA.

That's a pretty good record in my book.

"Serpientes" is a better brand than "Diamondbacks," the Angels' missed-the-point alts are agreeable, and the rest are tied for last. Garbage abounds.

EDIT: oh, I suppose I'm being too hard on the Brewers, they'd be cute for batting practice

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

"Serpientes" is a better brand than "Diamondbacks," the Angels' missed-the-point alts are agreeable, and the rest are tied for last. Garbage abounds.

EDIT: oh, I suppose I'm being too hard on the Brewers, they'd be cute for batting practice

Colorado’s are very nice - probably the cream of the crop - and the Astros would work for me if it said either the team or city name on it (and if contrasting belt was mandatory). 

KC’s are boring, but inoffensive (which is probably the best you can hope for when it comes to these things). Miami’s are excellent, though I wonder how I’d feel if I wasn’t comparing them to the trash they wear on a nightly basis.  In comparison to the black on black they usually wear, almost any alternative would shine. 

I’m with you on your other opinions though.   Even though I’m a monochrome fan, the Los Dodgers and Wrigleyville unis can burn. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

1. Los Angeles Dodgers - This one looks as half assed as Rigby from Regular Show. The design is uninspiring and the Los Dodgers script on the caps looks woeful.

Don't forget the Dodgers tweaked their set slightly for 2022, including the awful cap from 2021. Not that it would change your rankings, but it's now basically the regular white 'LA' logo home and road cap but with a black bill and squatchee button. And they also wear black undershirts with it now instead of blue, which makes it seem a little less like an NFL color rush uniform to me. The cap change and switching to black undershirts made their city uniform a little bit better IMO. 

Other subtle changes to the 2021 city unis for '22 were the Diamondbacks adding new cream pants and the Marlins wearing the blue belts and blue or white cleats with their city in '22 like they were originally shown off with when they were revealed; instead of black belts and blue or black cleats like they wore with it last season. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, NYCdog said:

Like the colors and vibe. But the hats are a disappointment, Nike mailed it in there. Basically a colorway. A Swingin Friar colorway could’ve worked as a hat logo switch up from the interlocking SD. 

My thoughts exactly. Put the friar on the hat and the SD on the sleeve. It may not be the prettiest CC, but they sure did all of their homework. 
2022 has seen a pretty good crop of City Connect JERSEYs, but the hats… Oof. Disappointing.