MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 6/12/2022 at 3:54 PM, Ark said:

I hate when stirrups are worn like that. Much prefer this look, but you rarely if ever see it anymore

spacer.png

It seems like people disagreed with this? Why do you disagree? What are your thoughts on stirrups?

On 6/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, CDCLT said:

who doesn't want to use CLT because (and I say this with heavy sarcasm) it could kind of be read like a body part that most consider to be inappropriate.

The one that kills me is when the Knights play 1983 White Sox dress-up, wearing a hat with "CLT" on the front and a big, red button up top.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, CDCLT said:

It's nice for a city when the accepted abbreviation and the airport code line up (ATL, PHX). In cases like Milwaukee or Charlotte, usually locals have to fight the teams/leagues to change to more popular airport code instead of the default "first three letters of city name". I've found that generally there's more success in that in minor leagues. The Knights and Checkers, both "Triple-A" minor league teams, use CLT as their abbreviation, as does Charlotte FC, but the Hornets refuse to change. I wonder who exactly the obstacle is: the team, who tried to make "CHA" a thing for a while, or the league, who doesn't want to use CLT because (and I say this with heavy sarcasm) it could kind of be read like a body part that most consider to be inappropriate. These three-letter abbreviations are always read letter by letter so the point is moot anyway.

I heard it's very difficult to find Charlotte's airport.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

7 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I have no issue with MKE, as I simply have no dog in the fight (though interestingly, my own local airport is TLV despite being technically located in Lod). My issue is the logo itself, which you say you like but I just can't.

I'm actually agreeing with you. MIL also plays into some nicknames for the city ("The Mil," "Mil Town," etc.) and feels like the more "local" abbreviation to me.... if that makes any sense. There's just no denying that MKE has become the preferred abbreviation over the past couple decades. Even the Milwaukee Wave and The Hop (streetcar) use MKE.

9 hours ago, NicDB said:

I'm actually agreeing with you. MIL also plays into some nicknames for the city ("The Mil," "Mil Town," etc.) and feels like the more "local" abbreviation to me.... if that makes any sense. There's just no denying that MKE has become the preferred abbreviation over the past couple decades. Even the Milwaukee Wave and The Hop (streetcar) use MKE.

This is such an interesting discussion to me. IATA codes seem (at least from anecdotal evidence) to be how many people abbreviate the names of entire cities/MSAs because they represent the point of entry and the shorthand by which some travelers identify their destination. Pittsburgh, for instance, is decidedly in the IATA =/= city abbreviation camp (as opposed to, apparently, Charlotte? according to the previous discussion). I've seen and heard it corrected many times: PIT is the airport. PGH is the city. (And Pitt is the university; some people have used that shorthand before too and have been corrected.)

Sports teams add an interesting layer to it because of how media abbreviates the cities or placenames. Pittsburgh sports are almost unequivocally "PIT" in scorebugs, box scores, etc. where that abbreviation convention is used. So if the Pirates were to incorporate an abbreviation into their future City Connect plans, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see them use PIT, even though PGH would be the more-accepted abbreviation for local fans. And while, ha ha yes the Pirates are awful and how would they even have fans outside of the city limits, let alone inside (haha), would it be a better move from a marketing standpoint to use PIT since that's how out-of-market fans who didn't necessarily grow up in or spend significant time in/around the city identify the city in which the Pirates play?

(To be clear, I'm firmly in the camp of PGH and/or using the generally accepted civil abbreviation instead of IATA codes. IATA codes were set up for a specific purpose. There are reasons why none of them start with N or why the letters don't line up with the city's name because of multiple airports in the area, etc. I certainly understand that in certain places they line up, one-to-one, or else the IATA code has come to be the city's abbreviation because there wasn't another abbreviation in common use previously or whatever. But those are exceptions. An IATA code is not designed to be an abbreviation for the city.)

Edited by Ted Cunningham
Clarity.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ark said:

It seems like people disagreed with this? Why do you disagree? What are your thoughts on stirrups?

K, I'll bite.

Because that style of stirrups has next to zero effect on the overall picture of the uniform. The pants are covering 90% of the stirrup. There's very little separating wearing stirrups like that, as opposed to going full pajama pants, which is why that changeover happened in the first place. To get that look to even work, you also need to wear your pants pretty tight, which looks chaffing and restrictive to me, at least for a game as leisurely as baseball.

With stirrups (or even plain socks) showing above the calf, you get a nice burst of color (for the record, I don't like the late 70's style which was mostly strap either) that complements the cap and undershirts and provides an medium for colorful designs/stripes.

From a purely person perspective, the players just look faster to me with knickers and plenty of sock showing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

This is such an interesting discussion to me. IATA codes seem (at least from anecdotal evidence) to be how many people abbreviate the names of entire cities/MSAs because they represent the point of entry and the shorthand by which some travelers identify their destination. Pittsburgh, for instance, is decidedly in the IATA =/= city abbreviation camp (as opposed to, apparently, Charlotte? according to the previous discussion). I've seen and heard it corrected many times: PIT is the airport. PGH is the city. (And Pitt is the university; some people have used that shorthand before too and have been corrected.)

I'm glad no Chicago teams are doing ORD stuff. I suppose the Chicago Wolves could. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m not defending the aesthetic of the independence caps or the American blue jay hat, but to play devils advocate here, I believe these exist solely to sell them, but probably under the guise of (I think) they are a road team that day and joining in the celebration of a holiday in a country where you’re playing and joining the celebration with your other teams in said league/nation. Before you get at me, no, they probably won’t have an opponent (or league) in Canada day outfits. I’m just trying to come up with an explanation.

KISSwall09.jpg

Canada is trying to get away from Canada Day, last I read. Winnipeg is just having a "1 July celebration" or something, as if they lost the rights to the intellectual property somehow.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm glad no Chicago teams are doing ORD stuff. I suppose the Chicago Wolves could. 

I think a lot of people don't know IATA has city codes for multiple airport cities, so if you're searching for flights to a city  and are indifferent about airport, many search engines will allow you to use these codes: Chicago's is CHI (covering ORD, MDW, and RFD, though apparently not GYY), New York's is NYC (covering JFK, LGA, EWR, and HPN), DC's is WAS (covering DCA, IAD, and BWI), London's is LON (covering LHR, LGW, LCY, STN, LTN, BQH, and SEN).

So in that sense, the White Sox are wearing Chicago's IATA code CHI on their City Connect uniforms, which as you mention is a little better than the alternative ORD or more locally-fitting MDW.

Anyway, list of these IATA codes here: https://wikitravel.org/en/Metropolitan_Area_Airport_Codes

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE