College Basketball 2021-22

LMU

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Do we not count Providence, Villanova, Houston, Gonzaga as mid-major schools?

In basketball, you don't just have major, mid-majors and non-major/minor conferences in DI. It's landscape has kinda changed over the last 10-15 years. You now have your "Power" conferences like in football (SEC, BIG TEN, BIG XII, ACC, & PAC-12), but still have major conferences that are outside this, but above mid-major (BIG EAST (which would've been under the "power" designation prior to the separation & THE AMERICAN (for now)... C-USA used to be in this catergory before the major schools, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. left). Also, due to the amount of schools in DI basketball compared to FBS football, you're more likely to have annually great teams in smaller conferences, like Gonzaga, who could be considered a major program even if in a mid-major conference. Saint Mary's is on the cusp of this. They seem to be consistently in the top 25 and the tourney year in and year out, but haven't quite had that high level of success as Gonzaga.

Or I guess I could've just said, no.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the AAC counts as a major conference anymore. They definitely were one in the early 2010s when they still had Louisville and Kevin Ollie hadn't run UConn into the ground yet, but all they have nowadays is Houston. If getting carried by one program is enough for major status, then the WCC is a major conference too.

And looking at the schools they're backfilling with after getting raided by the Big 12, the AAC is about to get a whole lot worse. Some of those programs are playing in glorified high school gyms. They're sacrificing basketball to keep football afloat.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I don't think the AAC counts as a major conference anymore. They definitely were one in the early 2010s when they still had Louisville and Kevin Ollie hadn't run UConn into the ground yet, but all they have nowadays is Houston. If getting carried by one program is enough for major status, then the WCC is a major conference too.

And looking at the schools they're backfilling with after getting raided by the Big 12, the AAC is about to get a whole lot worse. Some of those programs are playing in glorified high school gyms. They're sacrificing basketball to keep football afloat.

I would qualify Memphis as a major program. Probably should've gotten into the Big XII ahead of BYU, in all honesty. They'll be in the next round, whether it be the Big XII or ACC (if they get picked apart by the Big Ten and SEC). SMU is borderline.

In college hoops, I like to think of the structure like this:

-The Super Six (Power 5 + Big East)

-High Majors (AAC, Atlantic 10, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, WCC)

-Mid Majors (Conference USA, CAA, Mid-American, Ohio Valley, Southern, Sun Belt)

-Low Majors (Everyone else)

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

In college hoops, I like to think of the structure like this:

-The Super Six (Power 5 + Big East)

-High Majors (AAC, Atlantic 10, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, WCC)

-Mid Majors (Conference USA, CAA, Mid-American, Ohio Valley, Southern, Sun Belt)

-Low Majors (Everyone else)

I kind of agree with all that. I still tend to think of the Missouri Valley as a mid-major, having grown up in the Missouri State area. It's more straddles the line between (your) designation of high and mid. It's weird seeing C-USA as a mid-major, but that's really where they are now. All the bigger schools either moved up to the AAC or on to a power conference. Now the AAC could end up being in that same situation in the coming years.

St. Peter’s Peacocks might be my favorite Cinderella of all time. They check all the boxes. 

Quirky mascot✅
Taking down traditional powers✅

A random white dude with a mustache✅

Coach with swag✅
A flair for the dramatic✅

AND THEY DID IT ALL AS A 15 SEED

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

It's funny because they were one of the two teams (Saint Mary's) I just expected randomly to go on a tear. They'll probably lose to a blue blood like North Carolina or Duke sadly, but this is a fun ride to watch.

Really pulling for St. Pete’s/Arkansas, but it’s looking like a UNC/Duke rematch in Coach K’s final Final Four might be in the cards. 

The media circus would drive me insane, but that’d still be really cool to see. 

8 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

it’s looking like a UNC/Duke rematch in Coach K’s final Final Four might be in the cards .... that’d still be really cool to see. 

No.  No it wouldn't.

6uXNWAo.png

43 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Really pulling for St. Pete’s/Arkansas, but it’s looking like a UNC/Duke rematch in Coach K’s final Final Four might be in the cards. 

No one wants to see that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Lol I hate both of those programs but whoever loses that game would have suffered the most painful loss in school history and that’d be some good schadenfreude (though St. Peter’s playing spoiler would be way funnier) 

3 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

St. Peter’s Peacocks might be my favorite Cinderella of all time. They check all the boxes. 

Quirky mascot✅
Taking down traditional powers✅

A random white dude with a mustache✅

Coach with swag✅
A flair for the dramatic✅

AND THEY DID IT ALL AS A 15 SEED

They have a triple-weiner name. South Carolina is nothing.

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

People really underestimate Arkansas and it annoys me because their fans become that much more emboldened.

@sc49erfan15i I just saw two commercials in a row featuring NCAA mascots. Do those mascots get paid for their time? Is the mascot at the school at time of filming the guy in the commercial? Or do they bring in someone else to wear the costume?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived