2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

Habs are cleaning house. Clearly, they're in rebuilding mode. The next 2 years will have a lot of excellent prospects and being dead last certainly helps. No more bad-aids over much bigger issues. Hughes and Gorton are here to clean up the mess than Bergevin left this team in, on his way out.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, TBGKon said:

From out of left field.  After the Habs fired Ducharme today, they bring in Marty St Louis as the interim head coach.

If I understand correctly, Marty was an outside hire. 

I didn't know this at first, but Hughes and St. Louis know each other. One of the reasons why this was a quick signing. The immediate coach change was needed asap.

Too bad the Habs couldn’t have him when he was a player.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:15 PM, Sport said:

Every season there's a few teams who jump out to surprising starts, but teams aren't close to their final form right now. October and November are kind of the ramp up period and teams are gelling and figuring themselves out. The hockey season doesn't really start until December so I'd pump the brakes on Sabres excitement for now. Obviously you'd rather start hot than not, but a few years ago the Sabres were 17-6-2 and in first place in the entire NHL at the end of November. That team only won 16 games the rest of the season and missed the playoffs by 22 points. 

I was told this was a bad take. The Sabres are now 16-27-8.

The other side of this is the Blue Jackets have somehow accidentally won more games than they've lost, but are 9 points out of a playoff spot. We've entered the dreaded Doug MacLean zone. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/21/2022 at 10:42 AM, Sport said:

The Blue Jackets have somehow accidentally won more games than they've lost, but are 9 points out of a playoff spot. We've entered the dreaded Doug MacLean zone. 

I guess that's the problem with computing win% to include games where a team has actually lost the game.
Looking at those standings, Detroit as well has "won" more games than it has "lost", as have Anaheim and Dallas.

12 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I guess that's the problem with computing win% to include games where a team has actually lost the game.
Looking at those standings, Detroit as well has "won" more games than it has "lost", as have Anaheim and Dallas.

You're talking about "Bettman .500", which is when a team has more wins than losses in the loss column, but if you add their overtime losses to the loss column then they're really under .500. The Red Wings are 23-22-6, which looks like a fine record to noobs, but they've still only won 23 out of their 51 games. 

I'm talking about being actually above .500. The Blue Jackets (and Dallas too since you included them) are legitimately above .500. They've played 50 games and they've won 26 of them. And I only brought that up because I would've been very surprised with that record at this point in the season if you'd told me last September. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, Sport said:

You're talking about "Bettman .500", which is when a team has more wins than losses in the loss column, but if you add their overtime losses to the loss column then they're really under .500. The Red Wings are 23-22-6, which looks like a fine record to noobs, but they've still only won 23 out of their 51 games. 

I'm talking about being actually above .500. The Blue Jackets (and Dallas too since you included them) are legitimately above .500. They've played 50 games and they've won 26 of them. And I only brought that up because I would've been very surprised with that record at this point in the season if you'd told me last September. 

Yeah. I'm with you there. 23 regulation wins out of 51 games is definitely less than a .500 record. 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, Sport said:

Not for nothing, but both the Jackets and Stars records are propped up nicely by having really good records in the coin flip competitions. Columbus is 19-25 in regulation. Dallas is 20-20. Detroit's OT/SO record is also propped up by this, both in number of "wins" and overall OT/SO games played. Their 13 regulation wins is 5th fewest in the entire NHL with only Philly, Chicago, Arizona, and Montréal doing worse.

spacer.png

On 3/2/2022 at 1:42 AM, DTConcepts said:

This was at the Isles/Avs game tonight. Call on the ice was a goal, and after a 30 second review, they decided the video was conclusive enough to overturn it.

l5j5vs8iewk81.jpg

Make it make sense.

I know this is six days later, but "make it make sense" might be my least favorite phrase to come out of the last 5 years so I'll make it make sense. If that photo is from the frame of video where the puck got the furthest into the net, then it didn't fully cross the line. That millimeter of the puck still above the millimeter of red paint means it's not a goal. That's conclusive enough for me. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, Sport said:

I know this is six days later, but "make it make sense" might be my least favorite phrase to come out of the last 5 years so I'll make it make sense. If that photo is from the frame of video where the puck got the furthest into the net, then it didn't fully cross the line. That millimeter of the puck still above the millimeter of red paint means it's not a goal. That's conclusive enough for me. 

I don’t particularly care how this affected the outcome of the game, but watching this play on Steve’s dang it’s, it looks like the crossed all the way just before Lee’s stick knocked the puck back out. The freeze frame shown on the broadcast seemed to be just after it started to move back in the other direction, aka just touching the goal line again. 

That picture would make me say no goal, however, I’m pretty sure that was after Lee’s stick had already pushed it back, so who knows. 

Definitely one of the weirdest plays of the year…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10