2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

I wear my Avs shirt today and they score 5 goals in the first period.

Living in a city that didn't have an NHL team growing up (Columbus is a 2 hour drive away, but they didn't exist until I was 10), like most kids in the 90s I gravitated towards the team that was good (Cowboys/Yankees/Bulls fans) and I settled on Colorado (and a small thing for the Mighty Ducks largely because of the movies/Paul Kariya/Teemu).

I didn't quite understand it all at the time, but I cried when they won the Cup in 2001 when I saw Ray Bourque crying. It was one of three times in my life that sports made me cry. It was the first time someone I truly rooted for won anything (the only other times this happened since have mostly been non-team sports, or liking a singular athlete on a team, so it's it doesn't quite feel the same).

I've been waiting for 20 years for the Avalanche to make the trip back to the final, and this is the best I've felt about it since I was a kid. 

Also, I think Colorado's uniforms make more overall sense now and have been cleaned up somewhat, but I really miss the black pants. I actually only wear my Avs shirt with black shorts. It just feels right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Vegas lost the Cup.

They didn't experience a Championship victory, during their expansion year, despite Gary Bettman giving his Golden Knights every advantage that he could hand them.

frustrated frustration GIF

I guess the league should have just forced Vegas to ice a roster of beer league players & EBUGs for their first 10 years until the market "earned" the right to watch an actual pro team.

• LOL 2

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Vegas lost the Cup.

They didn't experience a Championship victory, during their expansion year, despite Gary Bettman giving his Golden Knights every advantage that he could hand them.

usatsi-10879569.jpg

In the following 2 years after their Cup final run, they blew series 2 straight times in epic fail fashion. Once where San Jose scored 4 straight goals, after the Cody Eakin major penalty. The other was the Marc-André Fleury late blooper goal against Montreal, which sparked momentum into the Habs, who would have been on the brink of being eliminated.

They got rid of important pieces of their roster and they gave away valuable prospects, to try to win it now, which they didn't. The Golden Knights remain Cup-less. They are in shambles, right now.

Yeah I don't get why people are still so mad about the Knights. Seeing an expansion team make a run to the finals is probably a once in a lifetime thing, it set up some already heated rivalries, made sports in Vegas an immediate success, and ended in the best way possible: Ovechkin hoisting the Cup.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I guess the league should have just forced Vegas to ice a roster of beer league players & EBUGs for their first 10 years until the market "earned" the right to watch an actual pro team.

Counter-point to this strawman. 

By making the Knights a Cup contender from "go" it created the spoiled piss babies known as "Golden Knights fans." 

I meant it when I said no team and fanbase needed to miss the playoffs more than the Knights. They needed to realize that success isn't their G-d-given right. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

One important thing to add though is that expansion draft rules were changed, to give Vegas huge benefits, when compared to other previous expansion teams. That's an understandable reason why there are complaints.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

By making the Knights a Cup contender from "go" it created the spoiled piss babies known as "Golden Knights fans." 

I meant it when I said no team and fanbase needed to miss the playoffs more than the Knights. They needed to realize that success isn't their G-d-given right. 

They did have a deep run, right off the bat, due to said unfair advantage. But they only won the "participation" trophy. If they don't raise the Cup, that could count as an L.

nbc_nhl_vgktrophy_180520_1920x1080.jpg

I was at the Game 1 of the SCF in Vegas. All the VGK fans celebrated as if they won the Stanley Cup after the first game. I saw VGK fans throw garbage at and verbally insult us Caps fans. It was ridiculous!

I never felt so low in my life but I knew that the 2018 Caps team was built differently. They were undeterred from that loss.

I will always be ecstatic that the Caps prevailed in 5 games. I agree with the growing sentiment that Vegas needed to be put in their place as a team and fanbase. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IceCap said:

Say what you want about the fans, but I'm sure the league prefers a sold out building with the occasional obnoxious fan over another Atlanta Thrashers situation. Besides, it wasn't the expansion draft that gave the fanbase their sense of entitlement as much as it was the fantasy hockey-esque transactions that followed.

And again, "making the Knights a Cup contender" seems to imply that the team deserves no credit for putting the team together. The league let them pick from a pool of 3rd line forwards, 2nd pairing d-men, and backup goalies. They weren't cherry-picking from the all star teams. 

20 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

One important thing to add though is that expansion draft rules were changed, to give Vegas huge benefits, when compared to other previous expansion teams. That's an understandable reason why there are complaints.

They did have a deep run, right off the bat, due to said unfair advantage. But they only won the "participation" trophy. If they don't raise the Cup, that could count as an L.

Firstly, every team in the league agreed to the expansion draft rules before they approved the Vegas expansion bid, so if it were actually "unfair" I'm sure the other GMs/owners would have complained. As I said previously, Seattle had identical rules, plus more teams in cap trouble, and they finished 30th in the league.

Secondly, the league changing expansion draft rules to give new teams a better shot at being competitive isn't new. After Ottawa started with one of the worst seasons in the history of the league, the rules were tweaked for the following year's expansion draft. For the Tampa/Ottawa expansion teams were allowed to protect 2 goalies, then for the Anaheim/Florida draft teams could only protect 1. This allowed the Panthers to pick John Vanbiesbrouck and the Ducks to pick Guy Hebert. Both teams set new records for expansion teams, and they both had better 1st seasons than Seattle.

• Yawn 4

21 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The Habs went from the Stanley Cup final last year to getting the 1st overall pick in this year's draft... what a ride.

It's incredible. A lot of younger fans never experienced all the past Cup wins because hockey was different, back then.

17 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Coyotes and getting :censored:ed in the draft lottery so hard they haven't had a 1OA pick since Hawerchuk in Winnipeg, name a more iconic duo 🙃

Well Shane Wright is closer to a Hischier/Nugent-Hopkins type of 1st overall than he is a McDavid/Matthews, so it isn't the end of the world. Next year will be the big one.

With the recent rule changes Montreal can now only win 1 of the next 4 lotteries.