2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

It makes you wonder what’s next as he was very committed to getting a new arena built downtown. Guess that’s for another day though. 

Rest In Peace Eugene. Gone way too young. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

It makes you wonder what’s next as he was very committed to getting a new arena built downtown. Guess that’s for another day though. 

Rest In Peace Eugene. Gone way too young. 

Melnyk was actually the reason the entire downtown arena project fell apart. The last time he commented on the situation he discussed building a new arena in Kanata or potentially looking across the river and building in Gatineau.

As terrible as this is for his family & loved ones, I think the downtown arena is more of a possibility now than it was before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Melnyk was actually the reason the entire downtown arena project fell apart. The last time he commented on the situation he discussed building a new arena in Kanata or potentially looking across the river and building in Gatineau.

As terrible as this is for his family & loved ones, I think the downtown arena is more of a possibility now than it was before.

My memory is clearly off. Thanks. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

RIP Eugene Melnyk, the cause of and solution to the Ottawa Senators' problems

Ottawans were too polite and Canadian to openly celebrate a man's death yesterday so they were all like "Gee...that's too bad. He sure was a guy who [looking around] was involved in some philanthropy, I assume? " 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Ottawans were too polite and Canadian to openly celebrate a man's death yesterday so they were all like "Gee...that's too bad. He sure was a guy who [looking around] was involved in some philanthropy, I assume? " 

Yeah it was a mixture of generic, "condolences to his family" messages from people close to the organization, and people beating around the bush saying stuff like "he was a passionate owner who leaves behind a complicated legacy".

But hey, even Harold Ballard had some nice things said about him just after he died.

• Like 2

Melnyk was the one who rescued the team in their darkest hour and kept Gary Bettman from moving the team to yet another city with perpetual swamp-ass and ungodly traffic. You gotta give him that. There's not much else. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Getzlaf is calling it a career.

It's really sad to see him go.

Starting with his time with the Hitmen, I've watched and been a fan of Getzlaf for 20 years. I've seen so much hockey out of this guy and it's going to be different now that he's gone.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Getzlaf is calling it a career.

His banner will be in the rafters next season for sure.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

He took a leave last fall to deal with some health issues, so hopefully this doesn't mean things have taken a turn for the worse.

If he is able to recover, he'd be a good fit for the Sens front office, maybe in a President of Hockey Ops role. He grew up in the city and played junior for the 67's. Would bring a lot of experience and credibility to the organization.

It'll be interesting to see what direction the Sharks decide to take. They've got 5 guys signed for $7+ million into their late 30s, so going full rebuild will be tough.