NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

8 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I feel like these comments are completely overdramatic.

NFL teams wearing a different helmet for 3 games a season is nothing compared to other leagues. NBA, MLB, college teams and soccer teams have "city" uniforms throughout that sometimes have zero connection to their team's brand but rather their location.

Variety is popular in sports and fans don't want to see the same uniforms every single week.

It's not really over dramatic.  Nike took over the mlb and boom all hell broke loose. Same thing when Nike took over the NBA. 

The NFL has had the longest tenure with Nike out of the 3 and they had been pretty steadfast in a lot of their uniform policies, but like another said on here, the dam is leaking pretty heavily right now. 

I dont give a :censored: about scorebugs or checking your phone.  When you turn a game on TV, you should be able to know who's playing relatively quickly. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

It's not really over dramatic.  Nike took over the mlb and boom all hell broke loose. Same thing when Nike took over the NBA. 

The NFL has had the longest tenure with Nike out of the 3 and they had been pretty steadfast in a lot of their uniform policies, but like another said on here, the dam is leaking pretty heavily right now. 

I dont give a :censored: about scorebugs or checking your phone.  When you turn a game on TV, you should be able to know who's playing relatively quickly. 

Which is exactly why I loathe the Bengals white helmet. They’ll likely be wearing them with all white uniforms for the 3 allowed games. To a casual fan, they’ll think the Zebras are playing. Why? Probably because there’s no :censored:ing orange clearly visible on that uniform head-to-toe.

It’s as bad as the Browns turd cosplay uniforms that they thankfully rarely wear.

• Like 3

Looking at the Eagles helmet....and man does it feel pointless.  It doesn't add anything to their look, and feels like they mailed it in just to have it around.

• Like 12

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

15 hours ago, AndrewG70 said:

And, not to go off on a tangent, Grandview H.S. has the biggest inflatable tunnel in the State of Texas!

This shows how much better this helmet looks with black bumpers, full hardware and chinstrap.  

If the NFL can move away from its white half-sock rule, allow Color Rush uniforms, and now alternate helmets, they could at least allow teams to switch to this hardware, where appropriate.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Volt said:

This shows how much better this helmet looks with black bumpers, full hardware and chinstrap.  

If the NFL can move away from its white half-sock rule, allow Color Rush uniforms, and now alternate helmets, they could at least allow teams to switch to this hardware, where appropriate.  

No, it doesn't. 

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

There are only 17 games in a season. Fans were already getting plenty of variety before teams started adding unnecessary second helmets.

17 games in a season, 2-3 games for an alternate. That's like 14 games with the primary uniforms and then you add in the Playoffs. It's fine.

If we're going to have alternate uniforms can we at least match things? There's been times where the helmet didn't match the jersey and it was annoying. I find it ironic that on this board of all places, it didn't actually itch at us that a team like the Bengals or Jets were actually wearing the wrong helmets. Yeah, I get it the football helmet is "sacred" but so are hats in baseball and teams have had a million of those over the last several decades. What's the difference?

I'd rather have an entire uniform match than the examples below. (I'm well aware of the Rams fiasco but you get my point)

ap-chargers-redskins-football_003-1024x6

balgmqgkjrpbulyceyrf

856380704.jpg

This alternate helmet stuff is going to upset some people and I understand, the Saints upset me but at the same time the rest of the designs have been good. If we just get simple color swaps then it should be fine, but the problem is I know we won't. I don't know how I feel about all of this as a whole and honestly the mere thought of going back and forth gives me an oncoming headache.

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

The NFL is stubborn when it comes to branding and it took years and years of teams literally begging to wear alternate helmets to get them to budge. No other league has the amount of rules in place that the NFL does.

We've seen Nike work with the NFL for what 10 years now? The craziest thing they did was Color Rush and while people here hate it, overall it has been a massive success. Everyone jumps on Nike, but aside from the Commanders I highly doubt they have any control over these alternate helmets. Why would they? Then don't sell helmets and have no financial incentive to force them on people. This is 100% being driven by teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Discrim said:

Looking at the Eagles helmet....and man does it feel pointless.  It doesn't add anything to their look, and feels like they mailed it in just to have it around.

Let’s just pray they are not allowed to keep it next year when the Kelly green throwback look comes back. But I’m not counting on that.

1 minute ago, andyp_03 said:

Just curious but how are the Eagles considered to be BFBS? Black is literally part of their color palette.. IMO a team like the Lakers would be considered BFBS over the Eagles.

It is a trim color, and they used to wear a black jersey with a GREEN helmet and WHITE pants, which was tolerable for a game. Now somehow all three elements are black, and it will surely be worn at least twice.

I can live with Washington wearing black for 1 out of 9 home games, but the Jets on the other hand are wearing black for 3 out of 8 home games, and they will surely wear white for a game or 2. Their green color that they are known for will barely be worn, which is just unacceptable. Sure there are 17 TOTAL games, but most alternates are worn at home, cutting that number in half.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFLfan10 said:

It is a trim color, and they used to wear a black jersey with a GREEN helmet and WHITE pants, which was tolerable for a game. Now somehow all three elements are black, and it will surely be worn at least twice.

I mean trim or not it is still a part of their palette.. They've had the black jersey since 2003 so I think adding a black helmet since rules were lifted should hardly be considered BFBS.. But I suppose I'm in the minority on this.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

So are the GREEN helmets GFGS and the WHITE pants WFWS?

what he’s getting at is that BFBS is an overused and often incorrectly used term. You’re just being obtuse if you can’t see the difference between a black Eagles uniform and the black on the Lakers uniforms. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

I can live with Washington wearing black for 1 out of 9 home games, but the Jets on the other hand are wearing black for 3 out of 8 home games, and they will surely wear white for a game or 2. Their green color that they are known for will barely be worn, which is just unacceptable. Sure there are 17 TOTAL games, but most alternates are worn at home, cutting that number in half.

Try being a Bucs fan wanting to see red over pewter and next year they have the throwbacks.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Let me make another bold prediction. The Eagles will keep the black helmet, and add a Kelly green helmet when the throwback jerseys are ready.  They’ll decide to keep both, because honestly what’s stopping them. The NFL will then okay teams having an alternate helmet and a throwback helmet, as though they were ok with it all along 

You want to bet against it?

Yeah, I wonder if the idea is to just grandfather the black helmet in, once they have it it’s harder to say no to it staying. That’s even if they cared to put that much into it.

Wonder if they debut a new black uniform that uses the Kelly design as a base / that green as an accent color. Would be a way to add more uni combos and make that color more of a part of the brand.

Essentially one of these types 

spacer.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The NFL is stubborn when it comes to branding and it took years and years of teams literally begging to wear alternate helmets to get them to budge. No other league has the amount of rules in place that the NFL does.

We've seen Nike work with the NFL for what 10 years now? The craziest thing they did was Color Rush and while people here hate it, overall it has been a massive success. Everyone jumps on Nike, but aside from the Commanders I highly doubt they have any control over these alternate helmets. Why would they? Then don't sell helmets and have no financial incentive to force them on people. This is 100% being driven by teams. 

Define "success" please.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, HopewellJones said:

So are the GREEN helmets GFGS and the WHITE pants WFWS?

what he’s getting at is that BFBS is an overused and often incorrectly used term. You’re just being obtuse if you can’t see the difference between a black Eagles uniform and the black on the Lakers uniforms. 

There's certainly a difference between a black Eagles uniform and a black Lakers uniform, but that doesn't mean that one is any more necessary or valid than the other.  They can both be bad / unnecessary / BFBS.

I definitely think of the Eagles of the past 20 years as a (midnight) green and black team rather than as a green and silver team, but I still think that the black exists in the proportions it does strictly for merchandising purposes rather than to enhance the identity, and I'd absolutely consider their black alts a BFBS uniform.  BFBS doesn't necessarily mean "black when black isn't even one of your colors."

Let's say that the early '90s Eagles, who had black number trim, black logo trim, black on their socks stripes, and black shoes, introduced a black jersey - would that be BFBS to you or anyone that's taking such a literal stance on the use of the term?  

Like, pretend this wasn't just a fashion jersey - BFBS?

CDA4EC1B-B41A-448C-8BB9-F229018EE6DF.jpg

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's certainly a difference between a black Eagles uniform and a black Lakers uniform, but that doesn't mean that one is any more necessary or valid than the other.  They can both be bad / unnecessary / BFBS.

I definitely think of the Eagles of the past 20 years as a (midnight) green and black team rather than as a green and silver team, but I still think that the black exists in the proportions it does strictly for merchandising purposes rather than to enhance the identity, and I'd absolutely consider their black alts a BFBS uniform.  BFBS doesn't necessarily mean "black when black isn't even one of your colors."

Let's say that the early '90s Eagles, who had black number trim, black logo trim, black on their socks stripes, and black shoes, introduced a black jersey - would that be BFBS to you or anyone that's taking such a literal stance on the use of the term?  

Like, pretend this wasn't just a fashion jersey - BFBS?

CDA4EC1B-B41A-448C-8BB9-F229018EE6DF.jpg

I owned a Sporting apparel store when these things came out and I sold a ton of these fashion jersey's, another massive success. 

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

1 hour ago, hormone said:

Try being a Bucs fan wanting to see red over pewter and next year they have the throwbacks.

The Buccaneers have always worn white no matter the scheme/logo far more than their dark uniforms. That's never going to change.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.