NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

The 2000s were when Oregon started being Nike U, but IIRC it was only relatively late in the decade that anybody really started emulating them, at the start of the decade the cool kids imitated Miami.

no it was the 2010s when Oregon let loose and started making the best football uniforms ever. 

• Dislike 3

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Just catching up on the thread.

How did you guys like the Patriots' new silver pants?

I’m catching up too, & I’d go as far as to say the Patriots looked the best they ever have on Monday night (aesthetically, of course).

I really liked their redesign when it was unveiled in 2020, more than most others seemed to, but I agreed with the consensus that silver pants would’ve greatly improved the look. Now we see that was in fact true.

I’d love to see the silver pants on the road for them as well, it’s one of my go-to combos for them in Madden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I’m catching up too, & I’d go as far as to say the Patriots looked the best they ever have on Monday night (aesthetically, of course).

I really liked their redesign when it was unveiled in 2020, more than most others seemed to, but I agreed with the consensus that silver pants would’ve greatly improved the look. Now we see that was in fact true.

I’d love to see the silver pants on the road for them as well, it’s one of my go-to combos for them in Madden.

it wasn't a redesign it was their color rush. I think the Patriots should drop the silver and go for a more classic look. The silver and blue will always be Brady's look. 

16 hours ago, ripall90 said:

It wasn't because you can do it just because. First off, I fail to see by that logic why every team doesn't just wear white and black plain uniforms.

That's not the same logic at all. It was an extraneous flair that didn't help the brand look better, didn't do anything the standard black helmet didn't do better, and wasn't justified for any design purpose other than "teal flake could be fun?????". 

Second the teal flaked helmet was unique while not being overbearing.

Unique doesn't mean good and it was incredibly overbearing, tacky, and made the logo look worse because it wasn't set against a solid black background. It looked like a bass fishing boat. Actually, maybe it was perfect for Jacksonville, Florida. 

Most circumstance they just looked like normal black helmets but in light they looked slightly teal. One person here posted about how the Jags uniforms were the best example of the home and away having two different color schemes the best since with the teal jerseys the helmet being teal works but with the white jerseys with black numbers, the black helmet also worked. 

Never thought I'd see someone defend those late Reebok Jaguars uniforms, the textbook example of thoughtlessly modern and forgettable design. Just an absolute dud of a football uniform. 

I disagree. Like I said, and I still stand by it, the current uniforms look too empty and incomplete. It isn't about showing restraint it is about not wasting space.

"wasting space"? How is a clean, open shoulder pad wasting space? Many of football's best uniforms don't feel the need to cram a design element into every open area. That's, like, the definition of restraint in design. 

How does adding a logo to the side and moving the 3 stripes to the top make it worse?

Because it's unnecessary visual clutter that doesn't communicate the message that the 3 stripes on the shoulders doesn't communicate in fewer strokes. As long as color is present and the concept is communicated, less is always more. 

And I wouldn't say the 2004 uniforms cranked the tiger stripes to 100. Like does this honestly look like having the stripes up to "100"?

It had the "tiger" dialed up to 100, which is what I said. The original concept in 2004 was "what if we looked like actual tigers?" which is how we got the contrasting color sleeves, the white side stripe, and the orange yokes on the white jerseys. They looked at the 2003 uniforms and said "these aren't striking enough" and that's how we got the stupidest looking uniform in team history and made me look at them for 17 years. 

It is three stripes on the sleeves, the same as the current uniforms. My problem with the jerseys was the number font/drop shadow, the B logo and the white side panel (All of which were just holdovers from Reebok).

Okay so they fixed all of that on the current uniforms. 

Had they replaced the logo with a Bengals wordmark and change the number font, the uniform would look perfectly fine but once again Nike went too far in over simplifying. Are the Bengals the worst uniforms currently? No but they just aren't striking. 

They're the right amount of striking. I'm sorry you don't like good football uniforms. 

• Like 8
  • Yawn 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 10/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

The Broncos uniforms not only revolutionized the aesthetics of the NFL, they revolutionized the aesthetics of the whole sport itself, regardless of level. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Miami’s and Oregon’s respective pushes of the aesthetic envelope at the college level came very shortly after the Broncos, and were variations of the same futuristic side panel and number font theme. Then high schools all over America followed suit to the point that nearly every matchup was a “pointy side panel vs. pointy side panel” look for a number of years (and maybe even still today in some cases). 

In terms of sports uniforms that “changed everything”, the Broncos have to be at or near the top. One could argue the Kansas City A’s pivoting to Kelly green and gold everything is up there, with its ushering a sort of color explosion in the 60’s-70’s MLB, and the Charlotte Hornets kicking the teal wave in sports off could be up there too. But the Broncos, at the very least, certainly revolutionized the look of football in a way I don’t think any other team has.

For me, everything in the NFL changed with the Patriots introducing flying elvis on the shoulders. 

Shortly after we get the Eagles & Buccaneers drifting from pastel to "deeper" colorways, then the Patriots, who were constantly churning, join in and go with the navy blue. Then we get the Rams moving to their vegas gold and navy. Everything before that was pretty standardized both with colors and striping patterns. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

For me, everything in the NFL changed with the Patriots introducing flying elvis on the shoulders. 

Shortly after we get the Eagles & Buccaneers drifting from pastel to "deeper" colorways, then the Patriots, who were constantly churning, join in and go with the navy blue. Then we get the Rams moving to their vegas gold and navy. Everything before that was pretty standardized both with colors and striping patterns. 

I think you could argue another '95 jersey debut - the Panthers - influenced the Broncos' changes, with non-traditional helmet stripes and pants stripes. The Broncos' pants stripes are essentially Panthers stripes with a curve towards the knee.  The Ravens continued the non-traditional helmet stripes by introducing tapered stripes in 1996, which likely had some influence on the Broncos' tapered helmet stripes. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think you could argue another '95 jersey debut - the Panthers - influenced the Broncos' changes, with non-traditional helmet stripes and pants stripes. The Broncos' pants stripes are essentially Panthers stripes with a curve towards the knee. 

Same thing could also be said for the proposed '95 Jaguars set with the asymmetrical shoulder striping, obnoxious colors, and full-size logos. That may have opened the door as well. 

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 10/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I remember seeing those Broncos for the first time and it was like they were instantly a generation ahead of the rest of the league. They looked like Star Trek: the football team and were instantly the coolest team in the league.

That they won two straight titles was serendipitous.

I can't think of any team that had as big a uniform impact since.  Maybe the 2012 Seahawks and their ushering in Nike to NFL uniform design? Or the 2000s Oregon Ducks? And I'm not sure if the Bulls were the first NBA team with a third uniform, but their pinstripe thirds were a big deal too.

I was ten years old when they debuted those uniforms and every kid thought they were the coolest thing we'd ever seen. Every dad thought they were an abomination. I remember my dad saying it was tragic that they won the Super Bowl in them rather than the orange crush jerseys. I thought they wouldn't have won the super bowl if they hadn't changed and I still kind of believe that. 

Terrell Davis got better because the uniforms made him look cooler, which is, of course, ridiculous, but that's what I thought at that age. 

terrell_davis_001.jpg?w=620?uuid=3C04EF78-5405-4191-8FD6-A42DFA5CA9

• Like 10

PvO6ZWJ.png

This might be an absolutely scorching take, but the orange crush era uniforms aren't that great. Definitely one of the blandest classic looks out there, though I am fond of the unique shade of blue they used for the helmets. They seem incredibly forgettable to me. I don't know if I would say I like the current set better, per se, but I do think the current set is far more striking. 

The problem is, now the current set is incredibly forgettable. It feels outdates and bland, despite being by far the best example of side panel uniforms. I'll always think of it fondly, but it's worn out it's welcome. It's about time the Broncos revert to a classic-inspired set in navy and orange, keeping the current number font. Basically, they should do exactly what @KG_grfx envisioned:

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

I think a big defining feature of our current era is all the mixing and matching which the Broncos really cannot claim to have started. A lot of designs today, including Oregon's, aren't that out there and look quite traditional in a vacuum. Remember that in the mid 00's the Ducks had diamond plate on their jerseys and knee pads while VA Tech had asymmetical shoulder designs, we're nowhere near those days. You just don't see a design like the early 00's Rams (with tons of side panel action) any more.

What we do have are the blending of elements that were not designed to go together, most especially personified in today's NFL by the Rams and Jets.

Weirdly, the idea of wearing multiple sets in a season went through a lull from the 40's through to 2002 when it began to really expand but I cannot find a definitive patient zero for the phenomenon.

Maybe, maybe you have the 2002 Bills redesign which had four combinations right away. Maybe you look at the Jaguars introducing black pants? Maybe it was when the Saints started to mix in mono-black at home and really rotating their combinations?

My best guess would be the 90's Eagles redesign which right away flipped back and forth between wearing green and white pants on the road. But then why did the concept take so long to reach a critical mass?

Did a rule change occur that we're not away of? Does it coincide with Reebok becoming the lone manufacturer?

Something happened because all of a sudden the Browns have four different white pants and are wearing orange jerseys.

• Like 2

@Sport

I literally counted the stripes on the old vs new bengals jerseys and it is the same, three. And the Teal flaked helmet again was able to fit both the away and home jerseys. They were subtle but really cool. And I don't like the reebok redesign jerseys with the cat stripe whisker thinks but the helmet was fantastic. The reebok redesign was just too boring and bland 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

"wasting space"? How is a clean, open shoulder pad wasting space? Many of football's best uniforms don't feel the need to cram a design element into every open area. That's, like, the definition of restraint in design. 

I love how you try to turn everything objectively negative into a positive. You call empty "clean and open". It is a waste of space since it is a large amount of one color with nothing to break up. Even TV numbers objectively do better. Let's just look at the most iconic uniforms current from classic teams.

usa_today_15063358.0.jpg
The Packers have more or less never changed their uniforms and they are some of the best. They are simple but every element works. Without the TV numbers the sleeve looks empty but the white numbers break up the green. Same with the sleeve stripes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeZqXEeTw2aANjJO8hbj8

Chicago Bears same thing. Never changed their uniforms and looks fantastic

xjjr3bqsgdbirqqonyzn.jpg

Bengals just feels like they are missing something. The jerseys being entirely one color with nothing to break up said color looks brash and unfinished at the same time. At best they look like college uniforms. Can I even say that given how much better most college teams have it vs them? Like Oregon blows Cincy out of the water. Also those stripes don't look like tiger stripes

BTW these are my favorite bengals unis 

pjxu7ouc1jjcebovdtqx.jpg

I get your style  is having the most boring uniforms possible so I won't argue anymore. You think the Bengals 2000s uniforms and teal flaked helmets are too much and too flashy.  Surprised you don't think the begnals should change back to when they were literally the browns with BENGALS on their helmet

• LOL 3
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

@Sport

I literally counted the stripes on the old vs new bengals jerseys and it is the same, three. And the Teal flaked helmet again was able to fit both the away and home jerseys. They were subtle but really cool.

It wasn't as subtle as black helmets, which would've also worked with both home and road looks and wouldn't have looked like glitter exploded in the factory. 

And I don't like the reebok redesign jerseys with the cat stripe whisker thinks but the helmet was fantastic. The reebok redesign was just too boring and bland 

I love how you try to turn everything objectively negative into a positive.

You can't use the word OBJECTIVELY when stating an opinion. 

You call empty "clean and open". It is a waste of space since it is a large amount of one color with nothing to break up. Even TV numbers objectively do better.

You can't use the word OBJECTIVELY when stating an opinion. 

Let's just look at the most iconic uniforms current from classic teams.

usa_today_15063358.0.jpg
The Packers have more or less never changed their uniforms and they are some of the best. They are simple but every element works. Without the TV numbers the sleeve looks empty but the white numbers break up the green. Same with the sleeve stripes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeZqXEeTw2aANjJO8hbj8

Chicago Bears same thing. Never changed their uniforms and looks fantastic

They both changed, though.

Brian_Urlacher_crop2.jpg

Good examples to prove my point. Both the Bears and Packers looked better and more like the classic Bears and Packers when the shoulders were empty. You can add the Chiefs in there too. The Raiders are probably the best example of not filling uniform space just to fill uniform space and looking better for it. Shrinking sleeve space necessitated the numbers move to the shoulders, but the better solution would've been not to use TV numbers at all because they're unnecessary clutter as the Pats, Chargers, and Bengals have shown. 

The jerseys being entirely one color with nothing to break up said color looks brash and unfinished at the same time. At best they look like college uniforms. Can I even say that given how much better most college teams have it vs them? Like Oregon blows Cincy out of the water. 

That's a subjective opinion you're allowed to have and one I'm not going to address. 

Also those stripes don't look like tiger stripes

You know what they are, though. 

BTW these are my favorite bengals unis 

pjxu7ouc1jjcebovdtqx.jpg

Mine too. They would look even better without cramming that TV number there. 

I get your style  is having the most boring uniforms possible

That's not my style. My style is thoughtful intentionality, which is why I think tacky dumb :censored: like teal-flaked helmets is tacky dumb :censored: because I have good taste. 

so I won't argue anymore. You think the Bengals 2000s uniforms and teal flaked helmets are too much and too flashy.  Surprised you don't think the begnals should change back to when they were literally the browns with BENGALS on their helmet

You don't know anything about me. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

38 minutes ago, Sport said:

Good examples to prove my point. Both the Bears and Packers looked better and more like the classic Bears and Packers when the shoulders were empty

Um no. The problem is that the sleeve are so small putting the three stripes and numbers makes it cluttered and cuts off the stripes. The 3 stripes are iconic for the bears and with their 2000s uniforms they are cut off because sleeves are shorter than they were in the 70s. I'll give you that for the raiders but the Bengals are not the raiders. The Raiders also commit to not having white in their jerseys which adds to their striking image. Plus the raiders never had stripes on the sleeves

My perfect bengals design would be have block numbers, move the stripes to the sleeve caps, have the caps be orange with black stripes and then numbers on the top of the shoulders. 

12 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

Um no.

Don't do that. 

12 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

The problem is that the sleeve are so small putting the three stripes and numbers makes it cluttered and cuts off the stripes. The 3 stripes are iconic for the bears and with their 2000s uniforms they are cut off because sleeves are shorter than they were in the 70s.

Obviously. That's why I was careful to say "Shrinking sleeve space necessitated the numbers move to the shoulders, but the better solution would've been not to use TV numbers at all because they're unnecessary clutter as the Pats, Chargers, and Bengals have shown." You keep the famous sleeve stripes and lose the unnecessary numbers. Problem solved for everyone and everything. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

Um no. The problem is that the sleeve are so small putting the three stripes and numbers makes it cluttered and cuts off the stripes. The 3 stripes are iconic for the bears and with their 2000s uniforms they are cut off because sleeves are shorter than they were in the 70s. I'll give you that for the raiders but the Bengals are not the raiders. The Raiders also commit to not having white in their jerseys which adds to their striking image. Plus the raiders never had stripes on the sleeves

My perfect bengals design would be have block numbers, move the stripes to the sleeve caps, have the caps be orange with black stripes and then numbers on the top of the shoulders. 

You turned in the wrong homework because you didn’t understand the assignment

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, ripall90 said:

I love how you try to turn everything OBJECTIVELY negative into a positive. You call empty "clean and open". It is a waste of space since it is a large amount of one color with nothing to break up. Even TV numbers OBJECTIVELY do better. Let's just look at the most iconic uniforms current from classic teams.

I do not think it means what you think it means - Miriam Hurley

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Hate 1

The Packers have really only worn their current set since the 60's.

They are also a classic example of design shifting to fit the shrinking space on the jersey as they used to have five stripes as opposed to three.

One thing we don't often bring up is that not only are the sleeve shorter (as in further up the arm) but jerseys are also narrower. 

Compare the size of Gronk's (not a small guy at all) shoulder pads with Mike Alstott.

AP22025827139752.jpg?w=1280
76135658.jpeg

• Like 6