2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You wanna talk about forgettable...

Those two are tied, the human brain can't possibly remember them both at the same time.

Actually the Orlando one might be more forgettable because I literally did forget about it until finding it again by accident during an unrelated thread here, a couple years ago.

11 hours ago, Digby said:

Those two are tied, the human brain can't possibly remember them both at the same time.

Actually the Orlando one might be more forgettable because I literally did forget about it until finding it again by accident during an unrelated thread here, a couple years ago.

Utah 2 tone blue is forgotten intentionally. That Magic set is forgotten unintentionally.

This should be a warning against bringing back light blue.  Just go with OG Mardi Gras colors and be done.

• Like 3

Wait: when did the Lakers fix their retired jerseys to match the actual style worn by players as opposed to the generic ones?  Not pictured, but even the Mikan one matched the white ones he wore and not a gold one.

Screenshot-20221213-191552.png

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

Wait: when did the Lakers fix their retired jerseys to match the actual style worn by players as opposed to the generic ones?  Not pictured, but even the Mikan one matched the white ones he wore and not a gold one.

I think they just did it recently but I'm not sure exactly when. I know the 2020 Championship banner was raised when they still had the old retired number designs.

bSLCtu2.png

17 hours ago, sayahh said:

Because it's the Lakers' 75th anniversary, they're wearing MLPS-era throwbacks, and they retired Mikan's jersey a few days after the throwbacks debuted. They took that oppurtunity to update the jerseys, because Mikan in a generic gold jersey wouldn't look right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Because it's the Lakers' 75th anniversary, they're wearing MLPS-era throwbacks, and they retired Mikan's jersey a few days after the throwbacks debuted. They took that oppurtunity to update the jerseys, because Mikan in a generic gold jersey wouldn't look right.

Could have sworn that they retired Mikan's jersey before but I was wrong: they had a banner with a bunch of MLPS players' names but did not retire his number until October of this year.   From the San Gabriel Valley Tribune:

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2022/10/30/lakers-retire-no-99-for-george-mikan-the-nbas-first-leading-big-man/

GettyImages-1244370688.jpg?fit=620,9999p

On 12/15/2022 at 3:34 AM, sayahh said:

Could have sworn that they retired Mikan's jersey before but I was wrong: they had a banner with a bunch of MLPS players' names but did not retire his number until October of this year.

Which is strange because let's be honest Mikan should be the first ever retired jersey for Lakers not the last one (at this moment last).

Personally I don't like how Lakers treat their MPLS days. Sometimes I feel like they wouldn't mention them at all if not those 5 (or 6 if we count NBL) champs titles.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

Yeah, Mikan was not only the Lakers’ first superstar, but he was probably the first dominating force the league ever had. He was basketball’s very best player for most of his career.

Players of that caliber and stature should have thier number retired quickly, not 60+ years after thier retirement and some 15 or so years after thier death. I’m honestly shocked the Lakers hadn’t done so until this recently.

• Like 6

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 12/18/2022 at 7:00 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, Mikan was not only the Lakers’ first superstar, but he was probably the first dominating force the league ever had. He was basketball’s very best player for most of his career.

Players of that caliber and stature should have thier number retired quickly, not 60+ years after thier retirement and some 15 or so years after thier death. I’m honestly shocked the Lakers hadn’t done so until this recently.

The only thing I can think of as to why is... let's be real, about the only other NBA player I can name off the top of my head who wears 99 is Jae Crowder.  It's relatively rare for basketball players to pick any digit over 5.  They probably figured no one would ask for 99.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 12/6/2022 at 3:27 AM, Old School Fool said:

There actually is precedent for the Jazz to keep black. The team wants it, they had it before, so you might as well just have it stick around but only as an alternate color or whatever. They absolutely need to make purple the main team color.

utah-jazz.jpg?fit=3008,1960&ssl=1

"Black, metallic, actual team color as tertiary color" really summarizes a moribund franchise of the mid-2000s (Jazz, Jaguars, Stars, Capitals).

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

50 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:
same old same old. wish they would take inspiration from the city they play in or the team that plays in that city. also what’s up with the hornets/hawks esque font?

That font looks more like a mashup of the Nets and Blazers to me...

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||