2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

3 hours ago, truepg said:

When talking just about "simple" looks, Utah still did the Brooklyn better than the Nets. Yes, the Nets have additionally a (basic 🥱) trim, but Jazz' typography – the wordmark and the numbers – is actually rather crisp and well-designed, and the logo is still way better than what the Nets have. And black and yellow is still more interesting than black and white.

Contrairiannoun

1. a person who holds a contrary position, especially a position against the majority.
  2. someone who trolls on message boards to get reactions.

Which one are you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've always disliked the numbers that Brooklyn uses; in a vacuum the Utah number font is better but it's ruined by being too large, applied amateurishly, and of course being part of this entire senseless rebrand.

The Clippers have this same issue. A great number font, but no one notices it because of how crap the rest of the uniform is. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd disagree.

Oversized front numbers, colors that don't say either Utah or Jazz. They look even plainer with no side striping, even with three colors used. This looks like the uniform a team in a Disney Channel movie would wear. 

I wasn't talking about looking like the Jazz in particular.

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've always disliked the numbers that Brooklyn uses; in a vacuum the Utah number font is better but it's ruined by being too large, applied amateurishly, and of course being part of this entire senseless rebrand.

You just agreed with my point. It isn't applied amateurishly, though (like the Nets brand is in general). The fact that the rebrand is outlandish wasn't part of the point I made there.

16 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Contrairiannoun

1. a person who holds a contrary position, especially a position against the majority.
  2. someone who trolls on message boards to get reactions.

Which one are you?

You think I give a d*mn about whatever your majority thinks? I don't come here to be agreeing with the majority, I come here to express my opinion on the topic.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

26 minutes ago, truepg said:

You just agreed with my point. It isn't applied amateurishly, though (like the Nets brand is in general). The fact that the rebrand is outlandish wasn't part of the point I made there.

I mean, I don't see what's amateurish about the Nets' rebrand. It's simple and minimalist, but the type size and leading both look proper for a basketball uniform, unlike the Jazz.

• Like 12

The Jazz look reminds me of what the Clippers tried to do in 2015. It's such an awful swing and a miss that it's made me wonder how in the hell it even got approved. Then I remembered that bad taste, brand ignorance, and social media shills make for a dangerous combination.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Digby said:

I mean, I don't see what's amateurish about the Nets' rebrand. It's simple and minimalist, but the type size and leading both look proper for a basketball uniform, unlike the Jazz.

It looks like the front number being that big and aligned with and tightly to the wordmark was the specific intention. The Nets' jersey elements just follow, well, the basic alignment.

The Nets' amateurish approach is present everywhere in their identity starting from the details in their logos to the font selection and treatment and ending with just how lousy and lackluster the level of the graphic elements, logos and uniforms as a whole are. A team in a league at the highest professional level in the world has to hold itself to respective standards.

Whatever this new Jazz identity is, at least it was executed in a professional way in terms of design principles, and it shows.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

The Jazz look reminds me of what the Clippers tried to do in 2015. It's such an awful swing and a miss that it's made me wonder how in the hell it even got approved. Then I remembered that bad taste, brand ignorance, and social media shills make for a dangerous combination.

The chasing of fire emojis on Instagram has led to a lot of questionable design decisions in recent years, IMO.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

The chasing of fire emojis on Instagram has led to a lot of questionable design decisions in recent years, IMO.

That's actually part of the reason that I've grown to loathe the fire emoji in recent years. It started when the Magic unveiled their first orange set a few years back .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Back when they first came out, i tried to match that font for the wordmark font...

#ShamelessPlug

If a team, say the Clippers, decided to change names.  Assuming that it hasn't leaked or been announced officially by others, are you allowed to insinuate that something is coming, or are you under an actual NDA?

1 hour ago, truepg said:

It looks like the front number being that big and aligned with and tightly to the wordmark was the specific intention. The Nets' jersey elements just follow, well, the basic alignment.

The Nets' amateurish approach is present everywhere in their identity starting from the details in their logos to the font selection and treatment and ending with just how lousy and lackluster the level of the graphic elements, logos and uniforms as a whole are. A team in a league at the highest professional level in the world has to hold itself to respective standards.

Whatever this new Jazz identity is, at least it was executed in a professional way in terms of design principles, and it shows.

I don't think anyone, either novice designer nor professional designer, would agree with you. The Nets logos aren't amateur...everything is pretty much on point, design-wise.  The black and white might be boring, the font might not be the most exciting...but everything fits together. 

Plus, I think the designers of the Nets logos are members of this board and worked for Reebok/adidas at the time. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, truepg said:

If you replace "Nets" with "Jazz" and vice versa, this makes total sense.

So having two colors that contrast cleanly, correct scaling of numbers and wordmarks appropriate to the "respective standards" of an NBA uniform, and designers who actually cared about each detail is "ameturish"? But taking two colors, one of which wasn't even in the intital design plan, choosing a nice font, but then sullying it by enlarging the size to where it is almost comical, recoloring old unifroms elements to where they are almost unnoticable, and adding no new elemnts to stand apart from the rest of the league is somehow "executed in a professional way in terms of design principles"? Spare me the bull :censored:, cause I don't buy it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, truepg said:

When talking just about "simple" looks, Utah still did the Brooklyn better than the Nets. Yes, the Nets have additionally a (basic 🥱) trim, but Jazz' typography – the wordmark and the numbers – is actually rather crisp and well-designed, and the logo is still way better than what the Nets have. And black and yellow is still more interesting than black and white.

There’s beauty in simplicity, that’s the Brooklyn look and it has local ties. It’s prefect.

What the Jazz have done is just plain boring with no real ties except “Beehive State.” And even then, they choose to use  Volt, not Yellowjacket. Embrace the Purple Mountain Majesty look of the Stockton/Malone era. The future concept uniform (right) they unveiled should’ve been the way 

spacer.png

• Like 7
NYCdog.png

21 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If you replace "Nets" with "Jazz" and vice versa, this makes total sense.

So having two colors that contrast cleanly, correct scaling of numbers and wordmarks appropriate to the "respective standards" of an NBA uniform, and designers who actually cared about each detail is "ameturish"? But taking two colors, one of which wasn't even in the intital design plan, choosing a nice font, but then sullying it by enlarging the size to where it is almost comical, recoloring old unifroms elements to where they are almost unnoticable, and adding no new elemnts to stand apart from the rest of the league is somehow "executed in a professional way in terms of design principles"? Spare me the bull :censored:, cause I don't buy it.

You can buy whatever the heck you want or not. Hundreth time again, the conversation wasn't about how appropriate it is for Utah or the Jazz, which I've been an opponent of from the beginning, but the quality of technical execution of whatever it is they decided to go with in this case. Once again, reading comprehension, FFS.

• LOL 1

13 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

There’s beauty in simplicity, that’s the Brooklyn look and it has local ties. It’s prefect.

What the Jazz have done is just plain boring with no real ties except “Beehive State.” And even then, they choose to use  Volt, not Yellowjacket. Embrace the Purple Mountain Majesty look of the Stockton/Malone era. The future concept uniform (right) they unveiled should’ve been the way 

spacer.png

Simplicity and the Brooklyn look is one thing, poor quality of execution is another.

The second part with embracing the purple mountains was my stance from the beginning.

Everything being posted right now off point that I made.

6 minutes ago, truepg said:

Simplicity and the Brooklyn look is one thing, poor quality of execution is another.

“Poor quality and execution” is literally the new Utah Jazz statement (black) and icon (yellow) jerseys.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Huh? 1
NYCdog.png

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

If a team, say the Clippers, decided to change names.  Assuming that it hasn't leaked or been announced officially by others, are you allowed to insinuate that something is coming, or are you under an actual NDA?

Yea, that about sums it up, but I will say, sadly, that the Clips don't have a change coming. Let's hope they change (at least the logo) when the Inglewood move comes. And that's not an insinuation. Just my personal hope. I wouldn't know about something that far ahead of time.

• Like 3