2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

Nothing about that teaser has me excited. Ever since the Cavs switched back to wine and gold/yellow, they have flipped back and forth between decent modern uniforms and bland simplistic uniforms. Guess we're heading back towards boring and simplistic. Seems like just plain white, wine and black uniforms with a giant C logo on the left leg. 

• Like 3

Including contrasting trim and shorts designs would certainly benefit the set, but I don't think that their absence will ruin the uniforms entirely. From what we have seen, the Cavs have a better color scheme than Utah and distinguishable wordmarks. I look forward to the jerseys (featuring Cleveland, Cavaliers, and Cavs on the front of the jerseys) since the team has shown that they have a unique visual identity as far as logos and colors go.  Tweaks could be made, but the set will be fine when compared to other NBA teams.

• Like 1

I might be the last one, but I just noticed in that teaser that Darius Garland is wearing what appears to be a black tee. He does normally wear a compression shirt under his jersey, so maybe that's all it is, but it would be interesting if they threw back to their championship look with the alt.

9 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

judging from that picture it seems like there’s no more contrasting arm holes, collar, or waist band. hard to see if there’s any side design but i see a little something on the left side of allen’s shorts (i think it’s just the C logo) i hope i’m wrong but they kinda look like they’re going the Utah route. 

Not that I think it looks like it will be anything special, but it will probably be better than the Utah set (not that that's a high bar). Interested to see exactly how the gold is going to work with the silicon layer to make it more shiny.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the latest 2 rebrands went 100% into minimalist designs. 

there’s a Goldilocks range between minimalist and gimmicky, but both the Jazz and Cavs missed by giving up personality to be simplistic.

in moments like these I really appreciate the tasteful design that teams like the Warriors, Sixers, Bulls, Grizzlies all have. For a uniform to last over time it doesn’t have to be plain!

• Like 6

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

The real question is who the hell is signing off on these uniforms? Do fans really want to buy a plain white tank top? If so, counterfeit companies must be licking their chops. The Jazz uniforms are a disaster, but at least they managed to put some sort of design effort into them. It's funny that so many were surprised we didn't get any leaks of the Cavs jerseys. I bet it's because people saw them and just assumed they were practice jerseys or something for the summer league. 

I usually try not to blame designers, because I know the client is king. But the Cavs hired this apparently internationally renowned artist to have complete control over their brand and I can't say I like any of his decisions aside from the updated color scheme. The updated logos are a jumbled mess of eras, generic and the new uniforms are embarrassingly boring. Sometimes being an artist doesn't automatically make you qualified to control a sports brand. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 6

They're awful and plain, no doubt, but at least they're better than the Jazz set. The logo on the shorts and inlines on the wordmark and numbers give them some semblance of a personality. I actually like the gold-on-gold inlines, but making the striping barely noticeable is a horrible look. Too simple and too Jazz-like, but it could've been substantially worse. I'll take plain with small tidbits of charm than gaudy, over-designed trash any day. It's infuriating that they went with something so plain given the amount of history and fun motifs they could have relied upon and it's telling of how crappy modern NBA uniforms are becoming, but at least it's a 2/10 instead of a 1/10, I guess. 

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

26 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

So much to work with, but they go with glorified practice uniforms.

Cavs practice jerseys at least have color trims and shorts have color stripes.

I wonder how much those uniforms cost to design?

Potential with these colors is still huge.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

I won't pretend it'll show up on tv or in the stands, but I do like how the trim looks in those photos. These seem to be all about subtle texture and depth, I dig the general idea. From afar they look too bland and that should've been higher on the list of priorities.

26 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The real question is who the hell is signing off on these uniforms? Do fans really want to buy a plain white tank top? If so, counterfeit companies must be licking their chops. The Jazz uniforms are a disaster, but at least they managed to put some sort of design effort into them. It's funny that so many were surprised we didn't get any leaks of the Cavs jerseys. I bet it's because people saw them and just assumed they were practice jerseys or something for the summer league. 

I usually try not to blame designers, because I know the client is king. But the Cavs hired this apparently internationally renowned artist to have complete control over their brand and I can't say I like any of his decisions aside from the updated color scheme. The updated logos are a jumbled mess of eras, generic and the new uniforms are embarrassingly boring. Sometimes being an artist doesn't automatically make you qualified to control a sports brand. 

It was clear to me as soon as I saw the hiring of Daniel Arsham and looked at his work that this would be the direction he would take it. His artwork style is pretty minimalist with an almost entirely black and white color palette. It was a bold move to put a regular artist in charge of their branding, and it's starting to look like a mistake imo.

• Like 2