2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

On the plus side, it's better than the last set, which felt dated the minute it was released between the beveling, random "modern" piping and incorporation of both navy and black that felt more apt for 2007 or 2012 than 2017 (or 2022, now).

Overly minimalist isn't my favorite approach to sports design so I don't love this (the sooner the 90s cultural zeitgeist gets back into sports branding, the better), but it's pretty coherently done and I actually kind of really like the white jersey? I love the Cavs leaning into inline lettering and the gold inline on wine lettering looks great — I wish it came with something more (and the black jersey is pretty brutal), but it's fine enough for me.

• Like 3

6fQjS3M.png

26 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The real question is who the hell is signing off on these uniforms? Do fans really want to buy a plain white tank top? If so, counterfeit companies must be licking their chops. The Jazz uniforms are a disaster, but at least they managed to put some sort of design effort into them. It's funny that so many were surprised we didn't get any leaks of the Cavs jerseys. I bet it's because people saw them and just assumed they were practice jerseys or something for the summer league. 

I usually try not to blame designers, because I know the client is king. But the Cavs hired this apparently internationally renowned artist to have complete control over their brand and I can't say I like any of his decisions aside from the updated color scheme. The updated logos are a jumbled mess of eras, generic and the new uniforms are embarrassingly boring. Sometimes being an artist doesn't automatically make you qualified to control a sports brand. 

You already said it all right there. After seeing the beautiful photoshop concepts of the possible new uniforms, I was already ready to fully sign-off on this new direction with the uncalled for return of the ball-net logo replacing the sword, but little did I know. That being said, as a Cavs fan I've already experienced this kind of change, and the Cavs had already hit rock bottom with their unis once before, so, I'm not gonna let it affect me that much. At least we have a nice up-and-coming team, lol.

On a positive note, the graphic elements used are nice along with the inline number treatment, and the color scheme with the proper gold is gorgeous and does really set them apart from the rest of the league. The number placement together with the C logo on the black jersey has also been resolved in a proper way. Only that I'd have preferred the number inline to be cropped out on the wine and black unis.

• Like 5

That statement jersey is why the league approving all of these weird one-off and wild designs is frowned upon by so many on this forum. One iconic moment occurring in an otherwise horribly designed jersey, and it is now a regular part of a franchise's identity. I guess anything goes in the regular season, but I really wish the league would implement an icon, association, and statement only rule for the postseason.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

Another mistake from the “Mistake by the Lake” 

Should've just gone back to the LeBron rookie era branding. It was the best look the franchise has had in its existence 

Ditching it was the biggest mistake.

• Like 2

I like the general idea. The wine and gold are real nice, and I think the split numbers look good as well. It just looks so incomplete. Gimme sone musketeer/French gold flourish pattern on the collars, or some really simple side panels. SOMETHING! The black jersey is awful, it really does seem like they wore it in the championship game just so they could use black more if they won

The inline lettering is better than bevels and at least the dated swooshes are gone… but it’s baffling how they thought this would be received as anything but plain shirts with a script printed on them. 

I really like the wine uniforms colors and choosing to have just wine and gold was the right choice (as it was on the LeBron II set)… but it is desperately needing SOME flair. It looks like they’re applying color on color stripes that recall the LeBron II set, so just… actually make them visible? Candy cane striping on the arm cuff could also have worked

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I think the overly-negative reaction is a bit much, especially since it was already teased that this was exactly the direction they were going.

Yes, it's really stripped down, especially from a distance, but I don't think it's comparable to Utah because:

1) They are using team colors that make sense.

2) They have a font that at least have some excitement to it.

They kept the in-line numbers/letters and the uniforms are focused on highlighting the colors & logos. Also while it may be fair to discount sublimation, there is quite a bit going on there. I really like the choice to sublimate the classic trim pattern throughout.

I would've preferred a return to an 03-inspired look with side panels, but I think this is an upgrade regardless. The previous set had no personality anyway and they've eliminated the navy problem.

• Like 8
  • Yawn 1

So they took the trim from the wine/athletic gold set (aka first post-LeBron era), but made them the color of the uniform so they're not really visible.🤨

The wordmarks and such put them up above the Jazz by default because it doesn't look like they used electrical tape to put the team name and number on blank jerseys for a team of misfits and outcasts in a Disney movie before they become the Cinderella team of the youth league and get brand new fancy uniforms for the big game at the end.

• Like 5

ouch i guess i wasn’t wrong. i just don’t get it. what’s the thought process behind it? why have jerseys with absolutely no character to them? i just don’t get it. the new wordmarking is pretty cool but why just leave it at that? couldn’t have added at least a line going down on the side or something? 

• Like 1

IMG-7122.gif

I like simple. I like the Jazz set and some of this Cavs set, but both could be improved greatly with a few small tweaks. 

kinda seems either Nike or the NBA or both are pushing for simplistic designs?? Or the last two rebrand teams were both outliers?