2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

46 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

Bucs social media has multiple ads for the game with players in white jerseys. I find that disappointing. Could be a Cowboys curse thing or a "We won the Super Bowl when we did this once, so let's do it again even though we did it last year and lost"

Tampa has been predominately white-at-home since they changed their uniforms. I don't think it has anything to do with superstitions at this point

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pigskin12 said:

Bucs social media has multiple ads for the game with players in white jerseys. I find that disappointing. Could be a Cowboys curse thing or a "We won the Super Bowl when we did this once, so let's do it again even though we did it last year and lost"

I'd say it's the latter. Considering that Tampa Bay did WAH against the Eagles and Rams last year.

I wonder if Dallas would do the same thing the 1985-1986 Patriots did. When New England wore their red colors  when they were a white-at-home team at the time, and making the Super Bowl winning all playoff games on the road.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can I ask, completely honestly, no snark, what about having zero design elements or even color from mid torso all the way down is appealing to you?

There's nothing distracting.  

It's uniform.

The shoes match the socks.  

Player silhouettes are elongated, which is more visually appealing; less chunky.

Primary colors pop even more.  Especially on the helmet, which in this case, is a good helmet.

It's a clean, minimalist look, and with White uniforms, it almost always works.

You'll be surprised to hear that I almost always hate all-Black uniforms.  The 49ers' Black CR unis a few years back were the exception, just because of how well Red & Gold popped off the Black in their case.  I hate it when the Jets, Jags, Ravens, etc. do it.  Steelers get a pass because again, their Gold pops off really well.

• Dislike 5

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

My shameless plug. And I'm not saying the helmet and burgundy jersey are perfect, but they are definitely solid pieces you can build off of. Take the burgundy jersey, remove the lines above/below the word mark, make the numbers solid gold. And then base everything else off of that. 3 pants options (with a single stripe to match the helmet) but NEVER MONO, gold and burgundy socks that always contrast the pants.

spacer.png

This would have been just about perfect.  I'd retain the 2-color stripe on the pants from the previous uniform but otherwise, this is what really should've happened and it's a real shame that it didn't.  White over White would not have been a bad look for this team with the appropriate pant striping.

Or, if there was any team that had the history to wear stripeless pants, it'd be Washington.  With a striped sock, they could've gone with plain pants, and it would have worked perfectly.

Not sure how others feel, but I think the new Commanders helmet is actually really good.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Tampa has been predominately white-at-home since they changed their uniforms. I don't think it has anything to do with superstitions at this point

This is true to some degree, but that 2020 season they were still a white first half/red second half of season team as usual. Having won back to back road playoff games in white/pewter and having already lost to KC in red/pewter that season, it seemed like the decision to wear white for that Super Bowl was superstition-based. 

The two seasons after that are when they have mixed in some random white at home games, like against Carolina. They still seem to mostly prefer to wear red for prime time games and late afternoon games in the second half of the season.

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

My shameless plug. And I'm not saying the helmet and burgundy jersey are perfect, but they are definitely solid pieces you can build off of. Take the burgundy jersey, remove the lines above/below the word mark, make the numbers solid gold. And then base everything else off of that. 3 pants options (with a single stripe to match the helmet) but NEVER MONO, gold and burgundy socks that always contrast the pants.

spacer.png

I’ve always been of the opinion that sock and pant stripe color should match. If it’s 2 stripes, the darker of the colors. If it’s 3 stripes, the outer stripe color.

That said, the white pants should have a singular burgundy stripe.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I know this is probably only the way brains think for people on these boards, but the absolute incompetency from NFL teams re: uniforms feels like a microcosm of how quality control just ::everywhere:: is getting worse. 

This is a complete aside that at the same time lines right up with what you wrote: I'm noticing this same issue (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) with apparel, as well--especially with the Snatit Titans merchandise. I'd long thought something was off with the light blue on the Nike game (fan) jerseys...turns out, I was right. Check this mess out:

bnx5ivF.jpeg

2E3DKIM.jpeg

I shot these the last time I was at the pro shop in Nashville...now look at the difference in blues from the number strokes to the fabric--and that's on the second-level Nike fan jerseys (I don't know what fancy name they call it now; it's whatever the next level up from "game" is). The killing part is that the columbia blues match on the heat-pressed game versions! (You can really see the difference in the second photo.) How that made it past quality control completely baffles me, unless they (Nike/the organization) just really don't care because they know fans gon' shell out ends for it anyway—and yet they wanna charge 110 and 150-something bucks for this mess? BRUH. (Shoot, even Mitchell & Ness' quality control has taken a nosedive lately, especially since being [majority] bought out by Fanatics. Or maybe all this is a Fanatics issue. Either way it's some bull💩.)

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That is where we diverge. I think material makes a big difference since ultimately we are talking about the aesthetics on the field.

The way the fabric plays off the light (and here is where it matters that the Saints play half their games in a dome comes into play) is how we experience the aesthetics of the game.

People don't complain about flat finish pants on the Niners because the flat finish already had a strong association with flat finish gold from the Montana/Young era. The visual experience of watching the Niners is specifically well adapted to flat finish pants.

I think the Saints current gold pants do a good job of match the base color of the helmet and jersey numbers but the lack of sheen really matters, especially compared to the previous set(s) of gold pants and especially the Brees era when they had the most success:

usatsi_4406323.jpg

I think just about everyone in here wishes the Saints would get back to those shades of gold, if not a truer "brassier" gold (see below)...I believe if they wanted it, they could still get dazzle fabric pants—I don't know if Nike currently has any dazzle fabric in their *proprietary* stock, but it looks like the current *gold* the Saints use is pulled from one of Nike's stock "gold" shades (which basically is the same flat khaki just about all of their college teams currently use). 

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Saints throwback pants do have a rich gold finish and they match the numbers but they don't match the helmet. Could they switch to full time throwbacks including the rich gold helmet? Maybe. That's an interesting idea but I think given what the base uniform is today, I think the 80's format of black and white pants makes a lot of sense.

rams-saints-football-66561.jpg

a0f23619e87b0ec43ed6612f5f40f42a

The gold in that top picture is more yellowish—but YES, I'm right there with you on that 1969 gold. Of course it may also be the technology of the day that makes that gold appear as dark as it does—either way I'd be all for that making it onto the present-day uniforms/field.

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

It goes back further than that...Tampa's been doing the white-at-home thing really since way back in the '70s (though not regularly), but  particularly during the first half of the season since about halfway the '90s, even before the switch to red and pewter. (I never cared for it back then, either.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think its fine. I like that they've opted to have the knicker style but that combo is jinxed. Zero wins in the entire history.

It's interesting to see both side by side. I probably lean towards the white socks but not sure.

1455085211.0.jpg

I wouldn’t mind it if not for the stripes. Normally it seems the Bears almost always match their jersey with their socks, so that the stripes match. Having the “home” stripes on the jersey and the “away” stripes on the socks just bugged me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Counterpoint: 

Fl-sKHsXgAclwc7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

hokie-gajan-carries-against-bengals-1984

This is the solution to the lack of shimmery pants fabric. It has precedent in Saints history, you can always go black over black, and its a good look for a handful of games or at least until they figure out the fabric situation.

They need to make the numbers white too then. I didn't look good when the Rams used to do it either when they had gold numbers.

• Like 1

What are the best Super Bowl uniform matchup we can get at this point? Beside a Ravens vs Vikings bout these would all look great.

NFC

Niners homes

Bucs red on pewter

Vikings purple on white

Eagles green on white

AFC

Chargers white on yellow

Chiefs white on red

Bills white on blue

Ravens white on purple

4 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

The two seasons after that are when they have mixed in some random white at home games, like against Carolina. They still seem to mostly prefer to wear red for prime time games and late afternoon games in the second half of the season.

Remember when they wore the white jerseys at home against the Giants in the playoffs?  That was years ago.

January can still be pretty warm in Florida. It's not as brutal from December to May, like it is afterwards, but still hot.

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

What are the best Super Bowl uniform matchup we can get at this point? Beside a Ravens vs Vikings bout these would all look great.

NFC

Niners homes

Bucs red on pewter

Vikings purple on white

Eagles green on white

AFC

Chargers white on yellow

Chiefs white on red

Bills white on blue

Ravens white on purple

Chiefs vs Giants

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I wouldn’t mind it if not for the stripes. Normally it seems the Bears almost always match their jersey with their socks, so that the stripes match. Having the “home” stripes on the jersey and the “away” stripes on the socks just bugged me.

I'm also bugged by the sleeve stripes being white-orange-white and the pants stripes being orange-white-orange. All white also has the same issue, with the pants not having the white in between the navy and orange. I'm usually not a "striping consistency above all else" type of guy, and it doesn't usually matter because they almost never go monochrome, but when they do it bothers me a good bit.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, sudden said:

According to their Weekly Release, Cincy is throwing it back to last year’s Wild Card (and SB).

Black Jerseys, White Pants (Orange Stripes), Orange Socks.

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/upload/bengals/tx2jj2r2syggerpjwdxi

How many times did CIN wear the white pants with orange stripes in the RS, and what games?