2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

I know this is probably only the way brains think for people on these boards, but the absolute incompetency from NFL teams re: uniforms feels like a microcosm of how quality control just ::everywhere:: is getting worse. 

Cardinals only wearing red pants vs. red teams (that game was actually hard to watch), Saints wearing white pants which looks like practice pants b/c their game pants got stolen, Lions incapable of wearing throwbacks on Thanksgiving, teams wearing black pants vs teams with black pants, etc. 

I miss the 90s. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Bears appear to be wearing navy pants and white socks with their home navy jersey.

It’s not a good look, in my opinion. Even all-navy would be better.

I think its fine. I like that they've opted to have the knicker style but that combo is jinxed. Zero wins in the entire history.

It's interesting to see both side by side. I probably lean towards the white socks but not sure.

1455085211.0.jpg

This thing with wearing socks that match the pants is an eye-sore and getting on my last nerves.

I hate the BILLS in mono royal-blue but can at least tolerate it if they were to wear white socks like they did in Dallas on Thanksgiving a few seasons ago, but it just looks so ridiculous when these teams wear matching socks to the color of the pants. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

I didn't even know the Lions had white pants. Well, I wish they didn't, because no one needs blue, silver, grey, and white pants. They only need one!

I like when Detroit wears the white pants, but ... they ruin the look by not wearing Honolulu blue socks and instead opting for white socks.  Not only that but the pants are stripe-less which looks too generic, just like JAX with their white pants. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Counterpoint: 

This is the solution to the lack of shimmery pants fabric. It has precedent in Saints history, you can always go black over black, and its a good look for a handful of games or at least until they figure out the fabric situation.

Countercounterpoint: it worked previously b/c the numerals were white, so it was balanced. 

The Saints don't need to be looking for solutions to anything, they have it: wear gold pants at home and on the road, wear black pants if your opponent is in gold pants. But, alas, we know not a single equipment manager in the league thinks this way, so this type of stuff is a pipe dream.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

I like when Detroit wears the white pants, but ... they ruin the look by not wearing Honolulu blue socks and instead opting for white socks.  Not only that but the pants are stripe-less which looks too generic, just like JAX with their white pants. 

So...what do you like about it then? Haha

8 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Countercounterpoint: it worked previously b/c the numerals were white, so it was balanced. 

The Saints don't need to be looking for solutions to anything, they have it: wear gold pants at home and on the road, wear black pants if your opponent is in gold pants. But, alas, we know not a single equipment manager in the league thinks this way, so this type of stuff is a pipe dream.

Counter Counter Counterpoint:

Gold pants ideal but without the sheen, the color of the fabric is  really off compared to the numbers and helmet so it does actually make sense to (sadly) shelve the gold pants until they can get the color/sheen right. Black over black is the main design with black over white against a team in dark pants.

There's a reason the only team left in gold pants is the Niners and they lean into the flat tan/brown color because of the 80's pants.

44 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

Not only that but the pants are stripe-less which looks too generic, just like JAX with their white pants. 

When the Lions first rolled out the mono-white look last year, it seemed to me like it was done a whim and Nike just sent them a pair of blank pants with no styling applied to them. While I still wouldn't be a fan, I imagine it would look a little better if the pants had some striping.

Not sure if we’re doing this here, but here we go.

My top 3 Super Bowl looks I want to see.

1. Vikings in purple over white versus Chargers in white over white.

2. Bucs white over pewter versus Bills in blue over white.

3. Seahawks in navy over wolf gray versus Chiefs in white of red.

Honorable Mention is the Ace Ventura Super Bowl

Eagles in green over white  versus Dolphins in white over white.

49ers-Chargers would be the dream Super Bowl aesthetically, plus it‘s got at least a punchers chance of happening.

With NFC being home (and Minnesota/Philly being allergic to non-white socks), uniform-wise the Cowboys, Bucs, 49ers and Giants would all make for a great game. 

Every AFC team has at least one good away set, but I only trust the Chiefs and Chargers to wear their best looks. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Counter Counter Counterpoint:

Gold pants ideal but without the sheen, the color of the fabric is  really off compared to the numbers and helmet so it does actually make sense to (sadly) shelve the gold pants until they can get the color/sheen right. Black over black is the main design with black over white against a team in dark pants.

There's a reason the only team left in gold pants is the Niners and they lean into the flat tan/brown color because of the 80's pants.

I don't find material to be a reason to shelve a good look for monochromatic, black/white. Afterall, I don't ever hear people complain about the 49ers uniforms not having sheen. Also, your last point is a bit off -- the 49ers actually wear more of a true gold than the Saints do, which has led many people suggesting they swap golds b/c the current Saints gold would be more akin to what the 49ers wore in the 80s.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, flyersfan said:

The home look for Washington is a good one. I like the numbers, the helmet is awesome. Pants or Socks need some yellow, I would prefer the pants just to *be* yellow. (Or gold, whatever you want to call it)

The white uniform does not complement the burgundy in any way. The gradient gimmick is not good, and it does not complement the *really nice* helmet in any way. 

The BFBS uniform is horrendous and unnecessary.

There's something to build off of, but like most other things coming out of Washington, its a disappointment.

My shameless plug. And I'm not saying the helmet and burgundy jersey are perfect, but they are definitely solid pieces you can build off of. Take the burgundy jersey, remove the lines above/below the word mark, make the numbers solid gold. And then base everything else off of that. 3 pants options (with a single stripe to match the helmet) but NEVER MONO, gold and burgundy socks that always contrast the pants.

spacer.png

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

My shameless plug. And I'm not saying the helmet and burgundy jersey are perfect, but they are definitely solid pieces you can build off of. Take the burgundy jersey, remove the lines above/below the word mark, make the numbers solid gold. And then base everything else off of that. 3 pants options (with a single stripe to match the helmet) but NEVER MONO, gold and burgundy socks that always contrast the pants.

spacer.png

The stripe on the red pants should either be solid burgundy or be outlined in burgundy. Yellow-on-white never looks good.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I don't find material to be a reason to shelve a good look for monochromatic, black/white. Afterall, I don't ever hear people complain about the 49ers uniforms not having sheen. Also, your last point is a bit off -- the 49ers actually wear more of a true gold than the Saints do, which has led many people suggesting they swap golds b/c the current Saints gold would be more akin to what the 49ers wore in the 80s.

That is where we diverge. I think material makes a big difference since ultimately we are talking about the aesthetics on the field.

The way the fabric plays off the light (and here is where it matters that the Saints play half their games in a dome comes into play) is how we experience the aesthetics of the game.

People don't complain about flat finish pants on the Niners because the flat finish already had a strong association with flat finish gold from the Montana/Young era. The visual experience of watching the Niners is specifically well adapted to flat finish pants.

I think the Saints current gold pants do a good job of match the base color of the helmet and jersey numbers but the lack of sheen really matters, especially compared to the previous set(s) of gold pants and especially the Brees era when they had the most success:

usatsi_4406323.jpg

The Saints throwback pants do have a rich gold finish and they match the numbers but they don't match the helmet. Could they switch to full time throwbacks including the rich gold helmet? Maybe. That's an interesting idea but I think given what the base uniform is today, I think the 80's format of black and white pants makes a lot of sense.

rams-saints-football-66561.jpg

a0f23619e87b0ec43ed6612f5f40f42a

13 minutes ago, Indigo said:

The stripe on the red pants should either be solid burgundy or be outlined in burgundy. Yellow-on-white never looks good.

Gold on white I think is just fine, as it's more rich than yellow. A burgundy stripe wouldn't mesh well with the rest of the uniform IMO, as it would be very burgundy bottom heavy (burgundy socks, and yeah you could add stripes to the socks but we all know players wouldn't wear them right). Plus keeping it gold ties it in with the helmet.