2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't think it's 30 years vs today. I'm willing to bet as recently as 5 years ago they would have finished the game.

I'll go one step further - I'm willing to bet that if CPR and the defibrillator hadn't been applied where everyone could see it they would have finished the game right then and there.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Browns sent Jadeveon Clowney home from practice today because he decided to be a dumbass and open say he wasn’t going to return to Cleveland next year 

To be fair, Clowney did said he was 95% sure he wasn't coming back. 😎

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Luigi74 said:

Per Google maps its 7 hours 40 minutes from KC to Chicago and 8 hours 10 minutes from Buffalo to the Windy City, why not Solider Field! Both teams play outdoors so it's not like they'd force a dome team to play outside.

Because Soldier field low-key sucks and choosing a stadium that the team is actively trying leave would be a weird look. A more modern dome makes the most sense to me. Personally I love Lucas Oil stadium so I'm hoping it's held there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Now we're starting to go over the top with the critiques.

If KC and CIN both win this weekend, KC would finish with 3 losses, and CIN with 4.  There's simply no way to make up losses (you can make up wins).  That extra game wouldn't have reduced their loss total.  So they should go to KC.

If KC loses and the top three teams are all separated by a half game (with KC and CIN having equal losses, and BUF being ahead of CIN only because of the cancelled game) then some coin flipping should be in place to determine seeding, and CIN would have some beef about having to go on the road to play either of those.

That’s what I’m saying. If the Bengals lose to the Ravens the ravens get a coin toss, but if the Bengals and Chiefs wind up in the same relationship in the divisional round the Bengals don’t get a coin toss.  The only thing I can figure is they’re giving Baltimore the coin toss as an extra credit because they would have beaten the Bengals twice. 

It’s still all dumb and everything would’ve been cleanly solved by just using the damn rules about no contest decisions as they were written for this exact scenario. Some teams would’ve been slighted, but at least they would’ve felt slighted by prewritten rules and not rules made up in the nfl office this week. This sets a new bad precedent and displays varying levels of favoritism. You can't play favorites with pre-written rules. 

• Like 8

PvO6ZWJ.png

47 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Clearly the game will be held in Munich

Given that there's a bye week after the game, it would be a perfect opportunity for them to have a real meaningful game in London or somewhere else.  It would suck for the fans of the teams, but that would be a spectacle.  If people turn out to watch the LOL Jaguars, they'd certainly fill Wembley or wherever for the AFCCG.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I get why the NFL did what it did, but there were already rules in place for what to do about it. Then again, I’m sure this is the first time the NFL has ever arbitrarily enforced its own rules and it isn’t like they do it all the time. 

Are the rules in place to call it a no contest and live with the fallout?

In that case, it eliminated the Bills' ability to rule their own destiny for the 1 seed. Of all the outcomes (outside of the player's death), that's the worst one. I'm glad the league intervened in this particular scenario because 1. I'm obviously biased and 2. It feels perverse that Kansas City would otherwise end up an outsized beneficiary of a game that didn't even happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Are the rules in place to call it a no contest and live with the fallout?

Yes. That's what the NFL rules say. 

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

In that case, it eliminated the Bills' ability to rule their own destiny for the 1 seed. Of all the outcomes (outside of the player's death), that's the worst one. I'm glad the league intervened in this particular scenario because 1. I'm obviously biased and 2. It feels perverse that Kansas City would otherwise end up an outsized beneficiary of a game that didn't even happen.

Yes, but at least that's tough noogies because of an already defined set of rules and not tough noogies because Goodell and a bunch of guys made up a bunch of :censored: 11 minutes before the playoffs, voting for rules changes with specific team interests spelled out, and setting a bad precedent. One is unbiased, the other introduces various levels of inequity. I could live with the former. 

Now the next time this happens we get to do this whole "please be nice to my team" thing. Just leave the rules as is so it's not a case-by-case basis thing. It's :censored:ing dumb!

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, if rules are just going to be changed at a whim then what is the point of a rule in the first place? 

It’s not a huge deal but I’ll be honest and say I’m a little miffed at the potential to be screwed out of hosting a championship game based on arbitrary emotional knee jerk reactions not host a championship game. Again, not the end of the world at all, just something I’m slightly bothered by. 

• Like 1

Part of me can’t help but think if/how this playoff readjustment could help Pittsburgh’s chances of getting into the playoffs; I know a lot needs to happen (win@CLE+NE and MIA losses), but I just can’t quite trust the league when it comes to finding ways to prop up the Steelers.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah, if rules are just going to be changed at a whim then what is the point of a rule in the first place? 

It’s not a huge deal but I’ll be honest and say I’m a little miffed at the potential to be screwed out of hosting a championship game based on arbitrary emotional knee jerk reactions not host a championship game. Again, not the end of the world at all, just something I’m slightly bothered by. 

I guess it's a good decision because everyone is unhappy with the outcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I guess it's a good decision because everyone is unhappy with the outcome.

Hey, you pretty much called it.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think the NFL is going to be too cute about this. They have a bye week in the schedule; use it.

At the end of the day, beyond everything else, I’m glad Damar Hamlin is alright but this solution sucks. Even if it is the least terrible solution.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 4

The NFL really could've called the game (like MLB calls rain-outs) giving Cincy the 7-3 win, keeping all teams at 17 games played, and people would've cried less about that than they're crying now about all the neutral site/win percentage/fairness stuff the league eventually landed on.

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

Personally I think we're doing a lot of concern trolling and bellyaching over 2 teams that honestly may be making early playoff exits because let's be real, this is very much a mental game and I think both Bills and Bengals are going to be too far inside their heads over everything in order for either of them to make the championship game round; they're gonna need an offseason and maybe a few (OK, more than a few) therapists to get everything back together.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

13 hours ago, Cujo said:

The NFL really could've called the game (like MLB calls rain-outs) giving Cincy the 7-3 win, keeping all teams at 17 games played, and people would've cried less about that than they're crying now about all the neutral site/win percentage/fairness stuff the league eventually landed on.

The game wasn't far enough along for that.

In Major League Baseball, if a rain-delayed game cannot be resumed, it goes into the books as a final only if the game has passed the fifth inning (or if it has passed the top of the fifth, with the home team ahead). So this analogy would hold only for an NFL game that is in the second half.

A baseball game that is called off before that point must be replayed from the start, in the event that it has an effect on the final standings. If there had been enough time left in the NFL season for Hamlin to make significant progress towards recovery, that's very probably what would have happened with this game, though likely by means of a resumption rather than a restarting.

Because this game cannot be replayed or resumed,  and because it was halted so early in the contest with a very close score, entering the result into the record books as a draw would have been fair to all parties.

Every team would then have 17 results, with the tie figuring in the winning percentages of Buffalo and Cincinnati as half a win and half a loss. Normal seedings based on winning percentage could have proceeded, with no need to make any adjustments to the playoffs.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

If you can't declare a winner or loser because the game wasn't far enough along you also can't declare it a tie. I don't think it's too much to ask to just use the rules they already had on the books for No Contest decisions.

I do think it's funny that after two years of people saying "I hate how the records look with the 17 game schedule" we're going to get two, old fashioned, aesthetically pleasing 16 game season records like we all know and love. 

Related: Is Roger Goodell still with us? A player in his league nearly dies and he hasn't appeared on camera at all to make a statement at all. I don't expect a lot of that guy because I know who signs his checks, but come on. Pretend like you're running the country's biggest sports league. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

They could not have done that (per their rules... albeit they seem to rewrite those on the fly):

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."