2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

5 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Are they? We’ve seen an uptick in occurrences in recent years. Including two ties this season (IND-HOU, NYG-WAS)

My math might be wrong, but 2 ties out of 32 teams playing 16 games each (256 games) = 0.7%. 

I'd say that pretty rare.  And this is higher than most years.

EDIT: I guess we're only up to 255 games since last night's was suspended, but the percentage doesn't change at all.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

His family spoke to some supporters holding signs outside the hospital this evening. They said he is still sedated and on a ventilator but the good news is his need for oxygen is down to 50%, where as last night it was at 100, so good sign.

that's slightly better to hear. Still sucks that it was that serious. 

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

So has there been any update on Hamlin yet or is he still critical? 

Let me preface this by saying that the following is based on my GF's experience with cardiac events as an RN. She's basing her opinion on that alone. She does not know the particulars of Damar Hamiln's case. This is what she had to say when I asked her about it earlier today.

They'll probably keep him sedated and in the induced coma for 24 hours. He'll more than likely be listed as critical for however long he's on the vent and in an induced coma. Possibly for a while longer after that. Critical condition doesn't necessarily mean he's on death's doorstep. She says the next move will likely be to  start weaning him off the drugs to see how he reacts to the ventilator. They'll want to see if he starts "bucking the vent" which means breathing "over the ventilator settings." They'll also look to see if he shows any outward physical reaction (trying to remove it, spit it out, etc.) to being on the ventilator. This can be used to assess any possible brain damage. That step in the process usually takes place during the day so it will most likely start tomorrow morning. The reason for that is the hospital is more fully staffed during the day than at night. Based on that, there probably won't be any new information until tomorrow.

Again, all of that is based on her cumulative experience with cardiac events and she's talking in broad generalities. Every case is different. She wants me to make it clear that she is not diagnosing anything or stating any information as fact. (If there's a lawyer in the house, I could a better worded disclaimer.)

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

There have been calls for Week 18 to be pushed back as well as the postseason, eliminating the bye week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl.  Right now the plan is play Week 18 as planned, but the Bills and Bengals might not be mentally ready to play until they know the status of Hamlin.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

There have been calls for Week 18 to be pushed back as well as the postseason, eliminating the bye week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl.  Right now the plan is play Week 18 as planned, but the Bills and Bengals might not be mentally ready to play until they know the status of Hamlin.  

They should know his status well before Sunday. My guess is the Bills and Bengals won't be fully ready to play for quite a while.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Jeremy Renner when he had his accident was listed as "critical but stable".

Unless I missed a recent update, Damar Hamlin was listed as "critical" without the stable part.

Obviously, I'm not sure of the exact difference between "critical" and "critical but stable". But it's scarier.

I'm no medical professional, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what my sister and cousins have explained to me (who are nurses, and my sister was specifically an ER nurse) is that critical essentially means their vital signs are unstable and the doctors are unsure of what the outcome will be for that patient.

Also, the terms they report to the public such as critical, serious and stable are meant to be vague in order to protect the privacy of the family. 

EDIT: I need to clarify as well that the precise meaning of the conditions do vary from each hospital

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

To piggyback on the above comment since this was already typed out, what I learned from an article on Renner earlier yesterday is that not all hospitals use "critical but stable" since being in critical condition means their vital signs are not stable.

The usage of "critical but stable" indicates Renner is/was unlikely to get worse in the near future but it not being used here doesn't necessarily mean that's not also the case. 

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

Guys, when I had my mild heart attack back in 2017, I was in critical condition until I had the heart cath done. While it was happening, I was in moderate pain (honestly, it was more like just being really uncomfortable), but I was also wide awake and fully aware of what was going on. I was talking and joking with the cardiologist (when I wasn't bitching about being taken off morphine) while we waited for the cath team to show up at Cleveland Clinic.  All of that took place while I was in critical condition. Until the cath was successful, it was my status.

The point I'm trying to make is don't get hung up on Damar Hamlin still being in critical condition. As I said earlier, it's likely that the very soonest his condition will be upgraded is tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it. Cardiac events, even mild ones, are serious and you don't recover from one overnight. Especially one like he had. Be patient. He's in good hands.

• Like 9

BB52Big.jpg

23 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Certainly the NFL wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) make any decisions about resuming the game until there’s closure to this accident, right?

I’m not saying go this extreme, but halt all league wide activities, practices, etc.

No I think they need to continue on to try to get back to normalcy. We don’t know how long he’s going to be out for, much less out of a hospital. It was an accident, they happen every day. It’s the best thing mentally for the players to move on, and have something keep their mind off it, than to have more time off and let depression consume them.

• Yawn 1

I heard Ross Tucker say (and he obv knows people with the league) that part of the reason for the delay might be because if there’s a negative outcome, they might move ALL of week 18 rather than have any games at all right after a player died.  They probably know or are close to knowing their contingency plans but want to wait for a more certain (hopefully positive) prognosis before making any kind of announcement. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Jeremy Renner when he had his accident was listed as "critical but stable".

Unless I missed a recent update, Damar Hamlin was listed as "critical" without the stable part.

Obviously, I'm not sure of the exact difference between "critical" and "critical but stable". But it's scarier.

Jeremy Renner on Instagram: “Thank you all for your kind words. 🙏. Im too messed up now to type. But I send love to you all.”

It's going to be a long rehab for Renner.

• Like 2

You see, if the NFL wasn't greedy and added an extra week, pushing back the schedule wouldn't be as big a deal. 

As it is, I get why they would want to push it back a week, but by the same token, I don't like the idea of teams losing a needed bye week before the Super Bowl. 

7 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

You see, if the NFL wasn't greedy and added an extra week, pushing back the schedule wouldn't be as big a deal. 

As it is, I get why they would want to push it back a week, but by the same token, I don't like the idea of teams losing a needed bye week before the Super Bowl. 

They can't push the Super Bowl back a week and the teams want the extra week before the Super Bowl, they're in a real pickle.