2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

36 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Because it does nothing to prevent him from coming back. Acting like this is the proof is just being obtuse.

Again, he may truly be done, but this doesn't mean that.

I am of the same boat because we went through his fake retirement last year.   Him delaying his debut on Fox only enhances the speculation and I had thought that had he said he was going to work for Fox in 2023 that I would have been like "yes, he is done playing" but now I am not going to believe he's stopped until Week 18 of the 2023 season comes and goes and he's nowhere to be found on an NFL roster.....or he signs a one day contract to retire with the Patriots and they announce his jersey retirement and/or induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame during a home game for the 2023 season.....or he gets inducted into the Bucs Ring of Honor sometime during the 2023 season.  

When you file the papers, doesn't that mean you can start collecting the pension or whatever other benefits you're entitled to post-career? 

Not that he can't unretire, but it might be slightly more complicated than just filing another paper that says "lol jk".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

When you file the papers, doesn't that mean you can start collecting the pension or whatever other benefits you're entitled to post-career? 

Not that he can't unretire, but it might be slightly more complicated than just filing another paper that says "lol jk".

Not from everything I've read. In fact, as JJ Watt pointed out, you don't even NEED to file any papers.

It's where I sit.

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not from everything I've read. In fact, as JJ Watt pointed out, you don't even NEED to file any papers.

I don't think that's correct - at least if you're still under contract.

If you are still under contract and "retire" but don't file papers, then you're basically no-showing work and can be fined, etc.

If you're a FA (like Brady) then it doesn't matter from a "show up to work" perspective, but I'm not sure that any retirement benefit could kick in based solely on your "word" that you're retired.  I'm not a lawyer, but have had employees file for retirement when eligible just so they can start collecting on the benefits (and still come to work but as a 1099 or something like that.)  I don't know how unions work, but it has to be similar. 

Maybe Watt isn't under contract anymore and just doesn't care right now about whatever retirement plan the union has.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don't think that's correct - at least if you're still under contract.

If you are still under contract and "retire" but don't file papers, then you're basically no-showing work and can be fined, etc.

If you're a FA (like Brady) then it doesn't matter from a "show up to work" perspective, but I'm not sure that any retirement benefit could kick in based solely on your "word" that you're retired.  I'm not a lawyer, but have had employees file for retirement when eligible just so they can start collecting on the benefits (and still come to work but as a 1099 or something like that.)  I don't know how unions work, but it has to be similar. 

Maybe Watt isn't under contract anymore and just doesn't care right now about whatever retirement plan the union has.

I'll trust Mike Florio's knowledge over yours

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/11/tom-bradys-retirement-letter-ultimately-means-nothing/

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

No one asked, but this is my take on this year's Pro Football Hall of Fame class. By the way, my HOF standards are know to be a tad on the high side.😎

• Ronde Barber: No. He was well known, but at no point did I ever think he was a dominant DB.
  • Don Coryell: Yes. This is long overdue. The passing game we see to today is at least in part thanks to Don Coryell. He had success with both the Cardinals and the Chargers. The only reason it took so long is that we're obsessed with rings and he didn't win one.
  • Chuck Howley: No. His claim to fame is he is the only player from the losing team to win the Super Bowl MVP. If he plays his career in Detroit instead of Dallas, he's Mike Lucci - who has roughly the same case for the HOF that Howley does.
  • Joe Klecko: No. He's borderline at best. His claim to fame is playing for the "New York Sack Exchange" in the 80's. Pretty good player, but not what I'd call a HOF level great player.
  • Darrelle Revis: Yes. Revis was the dominant DB in the NFL for a time and a damned good one throughout his career.
  • Ken Riley: Yes. Another one that is long overdue. If Riley had played for the Cowboys, Raiders or Steelers, he would have gone into the HOF a long time ago.
  • Joe Thomas: Yes. When O-lineman are on the ballot, I figure if I immediately know their name, they're probably a Hall of Famer. I got to see the entirety of his career. Everyone both in Cleveland and the national media always talked about how great Joe Thomas is. I know his name and he has the press. Good enough for me.
  • Zach Thomas: It's a tough call, but I have to say no. Like Ronde Barber, Zach Thomas was a well known player, but he always struck me more as "the really good guy on the Dolphins" than the "this guy is kicking the :censored: out of everyone in the league" guy. I could be way off in that assessment, but that's how I remember him.
  • DeMarcus Ware: Another tough call, but I'm going yes this time. He has similar numbers to LBs that I believe should be in the HOF.

There you have it. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So I was right... up until 2019 when the league did away with retirement papers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/11/the-nfl-no-longer-uses-retirement-papers/

"Previously, a player filed retirement papers in order to initiate his pension. Barry Sanders, for example, didn’t file his retirement papers for years, but he was clearly retired. Currently, the player’s pension rights are activated once a full year has elapsed since his last NFL employment."

But now, per your link:

"The letter also is irrelevant to his eligibility for pension benefits or enshrinement in the Hall of Fame. For benefits, the only requirement is that the player has gone a full season without playing. For the Hall of Fame, he must go five straight years without playing. A retirement letter does not start either clock."

That's really interesting - I wouldn't have expected that.  Oh well - I'm clinging to the fact that I was right... until I wasn't.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Ken Riley: Yes. Another one that is long overdue. If Riley had played for the Cowboys, Raiders or Steelers, he would have gone into the HOF a long time ago.

How long until they put in the guy that threw him the ball?

spacer.png

Kinda strange, but Vic Fangio had signed a 2 week contract to consult with the eagles before SB even though he’s signed to the Dolphins now.