2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

The NFL has a huge officiating problem but this seems like people just looking for something to be upset about because the team they wanted to win didn't.

On the intentional grounding, Burrow threw the ball straight to the ground seven yards away from the nearest eligible receiver to avoid a sack.  Seven yards!  He threw the ball seven yards from a player that was 11 yards away from him.  That's intentional grounding.

0JZavZRQ_o.jpg

Come on, nobody genuinely believes that isn't intentional grounding even by the loose interpretation the league uses for what's a realistic chance of completion. 

The third down play was blown dead by an official running onto the field waving his hands above his head before/during the play. By rule the play didn't happen and wouldn't have happened even if the Chiefs had converted.

Genuinely baffling to me that these plays are being held up as examples of the Bengals getting screwed.

Even the "missed holds" on that last play people are talking about would've been ticky tack calls.  The rulebook specifically addresses holding that occurs when a defender does a rip technique and that it should not be called.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

IUe6Hvh.png

12 minutes ago, See Red said:

The NFL has a huge officiating problem but this seems like people just looking for something to be upset about because the team they wanted to win didn't.

On the intentional grounding, Burrow threw the ball straight to the ground seven yards away from the nearest eligible receiver to avoid a sack.  Seven yards!  He threw the ball seven yards from a player that was 11 yards away from him.  That's intentional grounding.

0JZavZRQ_o.jpg

Come on, nobody genuinely believes that isn't intentional grounding even by the loose interpretation the league uses for what's a realistic chance of completion. 

The third down play was blown dead by an official running onto the field waving his hands above his head before/during the play. By rule the play didn't happen and wouldn't have happened even if the Chiefs had converted.

Genuinely baffling to me that these plays are being held up as examples of the Bengals getting screwed.

Even the "missed holds" on that last play people are talking about would've been ticky tack calls.  The rulebook specifically addresses holding that occurs when a defender does a rip technique and that it should not be called.

Again, Mahomes did the same thing - no call. Chris Jones hands to the face on that play - no call. Missed two blocks in the back on the Chiefs punt return. Phantom defensive holding that gave the Chiefs a first down on their third down do-over, which didn't end up mattering much because the Bengals forced a punt on the next set of downs, but still. A lot had to go wrong for the Ossai play to matter. The entire gripe is they put the flags away for one team, but kept throwing them on the other. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I get it. Your team lost. That sucks. But wow that was not a phantom call. 

My mistake. The initial TV view only showed the batted pass and I missed this clip. Still, that was the least impactful because the Bengals stopped them three plays later anyway. I think my other points stand. 

Also, I need to be clear, officials aren't the only reason the Bengals lost. They had plenty of chances to go take it and didn't. It's just lame when it feels like the field isn't level. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

I still don’t think the 49ers :censored:ed up as badly as they did yesterday with penalties. Especially 4 on one drive that led to a Philly TD.

The SF-PHI game had the same refs that officiated WAS-NYG earlier this season when no holding was called against NY and an illegal formation was called against WR Terry McLaurin even though he checked with the line judge to make sure he was okay

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ninoners said:

well,  we can actually do both,  it's not an "either or".

And the minute you used the phrase "virtue signaling" you lost credibility. 

You "can actually do both." The real question is do you? You may not know this about me, but I just happen to be half "Native American." I am a direct descendant of people who were relocated to Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears. My Grandmother contributed to a book on the subject. Does that get any of my credibility back? Or is that not enough for you?

I stand by what I said: all the righteous indignation over "the chop" and all the other sports bull-:censored: is nothing more than meaningless virtue signaling. It doesn't do a single thing to help "Native American" people. Put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 7

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Also, I need to be clear, officials aren't the only reason the Bengals lost. They had plenty of chances to go take it and didn't. It's just lame when it feels like the field isn't level. 

I'd be pissed that a soft penalty took away my team's chance to pull it out in OT.

"Plenty of chances" also includes the most important ones, right at the end.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

37 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Adam Schefter just appeared on the Pat McAfee Show and said that they (NFL)  were going to look into problems with officiating.  

They have a review crew in New York. Why can't they decide calls from there?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't think the refs suck, tbh. Again, I think the NFL has a huge officiating problem but I don't understand why people act like their job is easy.  They're watching 22 players who are playing the game faster than it's ever been played before, enforcing a convoluted rulebook, and asked to emphasize the rules in a way that are almost impossible to apply consistently.  I imagine 95% of people watching these games and complaining don't understand or know half of these rules - like what constitutes a legal formation or the one I mentioned earlier, that holding doesn't apply if its the result of a certain pass rushing technique.

We can all disagree on whether Mahomes was pushed hard enough to send him to the ground but there's no disagreement that he was out of bounds when he was pushed. So it's a penalty. Don't understand why people think the refs suck but also, let's give them more judgment calls.

It's the league that sucks. They could easily have a person or people watching the game in a booth to clean things up and just don't.

IUe6Hvh.png

Bad officiating  in a conference championship?  What a surprise! I remind you of this:

That obvious, admitted, botched no-call literally decided the game.
1:45 left.  Would have been 1st and goal for the Saints, and L.A. had only one time out. 
Three straight knees (or safe time consuming plays), kick the chip shot field goal with a modicum of seconds left; game over.

But the Rams had just moved back to L.A. and the league needed a splash for them, so...

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

It is what it is.

27 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Bad officiating  in a conference championship?  What a surprise! I remind you of this:

That obvious, admitted, botched no-call literally decided the game.
1:45 left.  Would have been 1st and goal for the Saints, and L.A. had only one time out. 
Three straight knees (or safe time consuming plays), kick the chip shot field goal with a modicum of seconds left; game over.

But the Rams had just moved back to L.A. and the league needed a splash for them, so...

Considering what they did to get their first Super Bowl, they deserve all the bad calls in the world.

• Dislike 1

59 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't understand why people act like their job is easy.  They're watching 22 players who are playing the game faster than it's ever been played before, enforcing a convoluted rulebook, and asked to emphasize the rules in a way that are almost impossible to apply consistently.  I imagine 95% of people watching these games and complaining don't understand or know half of these rules - like what constitutes a legal formation or the one I mentioned earlier, that holding doesn't apply if its the result of a certain pass rushing technique.

I don't think anyone thinks that their job is easy.  For all the reasons you mentioned and more, it's incredibly difficult.  But...

59 minutes ago, See Red said:

It's the league that sucks. They could easily have a person or people watching the game in a booth to clean things up and just don't.

... this is my problem.  We can have Gene Steratore or Mike Pererra figure it out in near real-time on the broadcast, but can't buzz down to fix things quickly?  I know they do that "assisted replay" thing (or whatever it's called when a call is reviewed from out of nowhere) but they could still do better, and should be able to fix game-changing 15-yard or auto-first-down penalties too.

I know it's more complicated than that, since the on-field referee has more context and may have seen something that's not obvious to people watching video, so it's not a perfect solution - but they could do better.  I just don't think the league wants to.

So yeah - at the end of the day, it's the league.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

52 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Considering what they did to get their first Super Bowl, they deserve all the bad calls in the world.

Not to mention the fact the Aints still had a chance to win it in OT and Brees thew a pic to a guy falling down. And their all-black uniforms are a sin.

• Like 4

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jamesizzo said:

Not to mention the fact the Aints still had a chance to win it in OT and Brees thew a pic to a guy falling down. And their all-black uniforms are a sin.

I agree with you on the all-black unis. 

The rest (still had a chance; blah blah blah) shouldn't have mattered because it was after the fact.   Without the blatantly botched no-call, that game is OVER. 

• Like 3

It is what it is.