MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 minute ago, MNtwins3 said:

Twins are doing a "navy out" on April 22nd. Encouraging all fans to wear navy to the game vs the Nationals, and first 10k fans get a Byron Buxton navy alternate jersey. I would assume they are also going to be wearing that jersey for that game

Thanks for the heads up! I may have to go check that out. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, BBTV said:

OMG.  It’s not just that there’s so much white space, but it’s “off white” (or just a different material, but either way it stands out way more than it needs to.)

Thus far, only the Angels have gotten the "rectangular logo should go on a rectangular patch" thing right. Shame on the Met$ (and the Red $ox) for screwing up such an easy thing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:16 PM, the admiral said:

It would have been very Loria/Samson Marlins for them to say that they were transcending the concept of binary "team colors" and creating a work of art instead. And then after that, they probably would have called people stupid for not getting it and bragged about how much taxpayer money they stole.

You get the show!

On 4/3/2023 at 12:34 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

This dude needs to design the next Dodgers city jersey

So... they're going to try again at the City Connect uniforms after the initial botch and box?

On 4/4/2023 at 12:54 AM, the admiral said:

I wouldn't modernize it with the most 1997-ass font in the book (well that or Matrix)

Looking at it, I get more 70's fast food taco that was still open in the 80's and 90's without rebranding and abandoned and overgrown before the new millenium.

I've gone through the Getty Images for the games to make sure of the details to update the uniform images for Wikipedia.  A few observations and questions.

• While the talk of flipped patches has been very big on here, the Royals, Twins, Rangers, Cubs, Dodgers, and Giants are not flipping their patches.  In fact, the Giants are wearing their usual sleeve patches on one sleeve and a memorial patch on the other sleeve.  Are these teams not planning on getting sponsors in this season?  Do the swapping teams already have sponsors lined up and are just waiting to finalize the deal, so they already have their uniforms ready?
  • The Nationals, Giants, and Mets haven't yet worn a non-City-Connect alt.  Is this a quirk of the schedule?  The article on changes said that the new rule meant the Mets have dropped their away blue uniform, but don't know if there's been news on any of the other jerseys of these teams (besides the ongoing discussion of the Phillies alts)?  Also haven't seen the Cards' powder blue.
  • The Rangers are back to flipping red and blue with their home whites again, huh?  Any rhyme or reason?  Pitcher's choice?
  • Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

So why the  massive love for this jersey?  Seems very contradicting then.

The one they had before was more unique.

More unique =/= Always better. To use an example...this jersey is "more unique" than the one the Sabres have now, but that absolutely does not mean it was a better brand for them;

spacer.png

Or, to use a baseball example, we can look at some of the TATC jerseys, like this one;

spacer.png

Sometimes, it's better to just go with what works as opposed to trying too hard to innovate your brand and be Unique for Unique's Sake.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

So why the  massive love for this jersey?  Seems very contradicting then.

I don't know.🤷‍♂️ People like different things. I personally am not fond of the striping, but I'm not gonna question why others do. You seem more bothered that others don't feel the same way you do than the fact that they like the uniforms.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, adsarebad said:

It’s fine that you don’t like the Twins new uniforms, but I’m going to argue against the idea that their new uniform set isn’t “unique.” Check out this uniform, which in my opinion is better than anything I’ve dreamt up myself for the Twins in the 10+ years I’ve done concepts:

mItbeBj.jpg

Compared to all of the other navy & red teams in MLB (a total of 7, including the Twins), this navy alternate is the only one that utilizes:

• single-layer, no outline wordmark & numbers,
  • a tri-color batting helmet (at home at least),
  • splitting apart of the white & red (besides the sleeve stripes, which is one minor gripe I have with this jersey),

and the Nationals are the only other team to employ a contrasting front number, albeit with outlines. Similarly, they are the only other team whose navy alternate is worn at home & on the road. The Twins’ previous navy alternate(s) did not have any traits unique to themselves.

The new home uniform has a similar uniqueness among navy & red teams, in that it foregoes outlines & splits up the navy & the red, allowing each color to “pop” individually.

Shoehorning an extra unnecessary color into the scheme on only half of your uniforms is not the only way to achieve “uniqueness.”

• Like 12

Not sure I understand why they don't have white-paneled caps to go with the helmets, since they obviously thought it looked good enough.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Not sure I understand why they don't have white-paneled caps to go with the helmets, since they obviously thought it looked good enough.

It's just a throwback thing to when Carew was on the team, since we had  similar helmets back then even though they didn't match the hats then either. It really doesn't bother me at all, and it makes us unique in a league full of r/w/b teams

• Like 3

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Even to have as an alt instead of the Milwaukee Braves caps with a ketchup stain.

• LOL 2

Interesting situation as the Angels had SS Zach Neto make his major league debut on Jackie Robinson day. I think Uni Watch asked the question recently if there was ever a player that played just one game on JRD and never wore his own number.

Also, Dodgers in City Connects with white pants.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Also, Dodgers in City Connects with white pants.

Nike has back-pedaled on this identity hard. First they replace the script cap with a clone of their standard cap, and then replace the blue pants with white ones. It's almost as if fans would've been satisfied with just promoting the existing blue alternate into the regular-season rotation.

The Dodgers have one of the most recognizable brands among all sports teams worldwide, so the City Connect opportunity allowed them a chance to deviate from their standard identity and provide something unique that diehard local fans could get behind. Instead we got something too close to the standard brand to seem interesting, but too different from the ST blue alt to satisfy fans. Had they made a completely new design for the CC, and promoted the ST alt to a full time alt, they practically would've been printing money from the merchandise. Should there be a City Connect v2, I fully expect the Dodgers to be getting theirs in the first wave.

• Like 7

On 4/12/2023 at 10:06 PM, BBTV said:

I don't get how Nike gets to dictate a solution to a problem that they created.

I do. This type of thing is why leaguewide outfitter monopolies suck. Nike has royally screwed up the NFL and NBA already. 

• Yawn 1

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Still just a dark blue blob though.

Not just any dark blue blob, though...a dark blue blob that flips us off during the fall 😆

• LOL 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

20 hours ago, McCall said:

I don't know.🤷‍♂️ People like different things. I personally am not fond of the striping, but I'm not gonna question why others do. You seem more bothered that others don't feel the same way you do than the fact that they like the uniforms.

No, i am just asking.... since i feel these look like most other MLB Jerseys.

When the one they had before did not. 

And the  funny "twins shaking hands" sleeve logo is gone as well, replaced by.... yes, the dark blob as i call it.

No one else miss that sleeve logo?

-

This is not a good sleeve logo... come on man! 😎

-

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

No, i am just asking.... since i feel these look like most other MLB Jerseys.

When the one they had before did not. 

And the  funny "twins shaking hands" sleeve logo is gone as well, replaced by.... yes, the dark blob as i call it.

No one else miss that sleeve logo?

-

This is not a good sleeve logo... come on man! 😎

-

spacer.png

How were the previous ones unique? They had the same piping that lots of uniforms have had in the past and especially since the beginning of the 2000's with the resurgence of the classic looks. The gold was completely forced. The navy alt with classic script and gold outline looked like a cheap fashion jersey you buy from Walmart. And the gold drop shadow was in no way unique. Many teams have had drop shadows. The Giants literally have gold drop shadows on their uniforms. And the "blob" is also literally the shape of the state of Minnesota. I guess you just need to brush up on your geography.

• Like 3