MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

The Mariners posted a press release yesterday with all the details about this Friday’s City Connect release. Within the press release was this note:

“They will don them on the field for the first time when they return from their three-city road trip and take on the Astros the following Friday, May 5. They will then wear them for every Friday home game the rest of the season.“

We already knew that May 5th would be the on-field debut, but we didn’t know that it would become the new designated Friday home uniform. The teal jerseys and teal-brimmed hats have been the Friday home uniform since they were brought back in 2012. I find this move disappointing because it seems like the teals will be worn pretty sparingly this year. So far this year I believe they’ve only worn it twice; once at home and once on the road. Despite being the designated road jersey now that the grays have been axed, the navy tops have been worn at home more times than the teals this year (just like last year). 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:04 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Absolutely agree.

Maybe I'd quibble about your Boston discussion.  You aren't wrong. I think it makes sense to focus on a single source of inspiration on it, because it really says Boston and it doesn't muddy the waters by doing too much. 

Oh yeah.  I forgot my planned response to this when I finally had a sec so I just focused (not quick enough) on the other question.

But you can see it with the Rockies.  The license plate was the main vision, but it wasn't just about the license plate.  Where the "My Oh My" is on the Seattle jersey, we see a reference to welcome signs.  They took a ski slope sign and added it, but it also works as a colorful insurance sticker

license-plate-colorado_22%20SUR%20LES%202%20SITES-1500x800.jpg

I think if Boston had stuck to the color scheme, they could have slipped in additional references to the city and even the entire region given the strong, united market New England (save for half of Connecticut) is.  But, in the end, they were the first, and I can see them not fully going for the gusto or really fully having a sense for what the project could be.  The newer ones have had a lot more depth.

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Curiosity got the best of me…

I'm not on board with them changing or even bringing back the trident... but... with this concept, purely from artistic objectivity, I would try dotting the (lower case) 'i' with a solid compass rose silhouette, as a nod to the current long-time identity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, McCall said:

I'm not on board with them changing or even bringing back the trident... but... with this concept, purely from artistic objectivity, I would try dotting the (lower case) 'i' with a solid compass rose silhouette, as a nod to the current long-time identity.

😉

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, McCall said:

I went back and forth on whether or not to dot the i but ultimately decided against it to keep it more consistent with the ‘77-80 and ‘81-86 wordmarks. I think the compass rose idea works a lot better on @MJD7’s concept than it did when I tried it on the City Connect-inspired mark. 

Also, I see no reason why the compass rose and trident can’t coexist. In fact I personally wouldn’t be in favor of bringing back the trident unless the compass rose was still the primary identifier. I think something like this could work (would need some small tweaks).

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

58 minutes ago, McCall said:

Totally agree. The i needs something, compass rose or just a dot

4 hours ago, M59 said:

The Orioles have worn the orange jerseys once this year. It's a Saturday only jersey. The only real outlier on the schedule is last Saturday, when they didn't wear them at home. Otherwise, it's been a fairly standard run (I think Boston asks that the Orioles not wear orange when the Red Sox wear red, and 04-15 was JRD).

04-01-23: Orioles in black / Boston in red (R)

04-08-23: Orioles in orange / New York in gray (H)

04-15-13: Orioles in gray / Chicago in white (R) Jackie Robinson Day

04-22-13: Orioles in white / Detroit in gray (H)

Thanks for the reply!  All makes sense. Don't know how I missed the 4/8 game.  

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I went back and forth on whether or not to dot the i but ultimately decided against it to keep it more consistent with the ‘77-80 and ‘81-86 wordmarks. I think the compass rose idea works a lot better on @MJD7’s concept than it did when I tried it on the City Connect-inspired mark. 

Also, I see no reason why the compass rose and trident can’t coexist. In fact I personally wouldn’t be in favor of bringing back the trident unless the compass rose was still the primary identifier. I think something like this could work (would need some small tweaks).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Keep it in navy and teal and it's a winner for this Mariners fan. 

As for the City Connect, the only thing that would truly ruin it for me, is gold pants. I hope they don't but at this point, you never know. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, BMoreBlackBirds said:

Thanks for the reply!  All makes sense. Don't know how I missed the 4/8 game.  

I had started wondering about it when they broke out the whites this Saturday, so I went back and looked it up. (Went to Orioles.com, selected "schedule" and clicked on each of the Saturday games. It brought up photos/video.)

7 hours ago, M59 said:

The Orioles have worn the orange jerseys once this year. It's a Saturday only jersey. The only real outlier on the schedule is last Saturday, when they didn't wear them at home. Otherwise, it's been a fairly standard run (I think Boston asks that the Orioles not wear orange when the Red Sox wear red, and 04-15 was JRD).

04-01-23: Orioles in black / Boston in red (R)

04-08-23: Orioles in orange / New York in gray (H)

04-15-13: Orioles in gray / Chicago in white (R) Jackie Robinson Day

04-22-13: Orioles in white / Detroit in gray (H)

On Fridays, they still wear the dumb O's cap with the upside down apostrophe.

3 hours ago, Bill0813 said:

On Fridays, they still wear the dumb O's cap with the upside down apostrophe.

I hate that fookin' hat. And frankly, I really miss the white trim on the Orioles script and numbers on the black jerseys. That jersey peaked in 1999.
https://goldinauctions.com/1999_Cal_Ripken_Jr_Baltimore_Orioles_Game_Used_Alt-LOT96150.aspx

Edited by M59
Stuff
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, M59 said:

I hate that fookin' hat. And frankly, I really miss the white trim on the Orioles script and numbers on the black jerseys. That jersey peaked in 1999.
https://goldinauctions.com/1999_Cal_Ripken_Jr_Baltimore_Orioles_Game_Used_Alt-LOT96150.aspx

I don't mind the loss of the white trim.  I always thought the double outline made that jersey look a little busy . . . 

. . . but I also HATE THE HAT!!!

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Looks like Baltimore will unveil their City Connect on May 26

Hmm...  Is this a common format on Twitter or used by the team?  Or can something be gleaned from this?  Any chance they're tapping into their old days as the Capital's team by leaning into a military aeronautics theme?  Are there other aeronautics links in Maryland?  Or are they just being silly?

spacer.png

spacer.png