MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

Here's the thing about baseball. They desperately needed to do something to appeal to younger crowds. There's 150+ games a year, so why not wear something completely different for a handful of games? The city connect uniforms are a million times better than those super generic players weekend sets we used to get. At least these have some thought and uniqueness to them. 

Soccer teams have done this for the longest time right? I specifically remember teams doing this and Manchester United wearing pink kits inspired by a newspaper. Eventually the NBA started something similar and baseball is just catching up. 

• Like 3

I always liked the Red Sox alternate but something seemed weird to me lately and I finally realized what it is. They got rid of the piping in 2009. The piping made it work better and made it fall in line with the home and away jersey.

51115099.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Here's the thing about baseball. They desperately needed to do something to appeal to younger crowds. There's 150+ games a year, so why not wear something completely different for a handful of games?

Can confirm this worked for at least one of my friends. He follows the Padres closer than he did before. Does it make sense? Not really. Is it necessary so the sport doesn't die out (as fast)? Maybe

On 7/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

It just kinda is? Why is France associated with the most famous bike race in the world?

Don't let your dislike of a uniform blind you from reality lmao

France is associated with the Eiffel Tower, that is what 90% of people on the street would say as the first thing.

Don't let your love of a uniform blind you from reality lmao

• LOL 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 3

On 7/2/2023 at 5:35 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The whole idea of City Connect is that it focuses on something people from that area latch on to. So yes, the Boston Marathon has as much to do with Boston as the Boston Tea Party, USS Constitution, and their sports teams. 

The Red Sox CC uni have nothing to do with the team though,  not a single thing ties it to the baseball team...... unlike most of the other CC unis.

-

This is garbage:

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 2
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Here's the thing about baseball. They desperately needed to do something to appeal to younger crowds. There's 150+ games a year, so why not wear something completely different for a handful of games? The city connect uniforms are a million times better than those super generic players weekend sets we used to get. At least these have some thought and uniqueness to them. 

Soccer teams have done this for the longest time right? I specifically remember teams doing this and Manchester United wearing pink kits inspired by a newspaper. Eventually the NBA started something similar and baseball is just catching up. 

Soccer is different, teams have a home kit, it only changes very little every year, away kit change a bit more... and then comes the rarely used 3rd kit, and that is where the madness can happen. It does not need to follow any rules of the team color codes.

But again, not used very often.

And as you know,  most MLB teams  already did have 3rd , or even a 4th jersey.

• Yawn 2

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Here’s my ranking of the City Connects through Year 3 that no one asked for: 

AMAZING 

• Diamondbacks
  • Marlins

GREAT

• Rockies
  • Angels
  • Astros

GOOD

• Mariners 
  • Rangers
  • Padres
  • Cubs

MEH

• Brewers
  • Braves
  • Nationals
  • Giants
  • Pirates
  • Royals

Lazy

• Dodgers 

• Like 1

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

The Red Sox CC uni have nothing to do with the team though,  not a single thing ties it to the baseball team...... unlike most of the other CC unis.

-

This is garbage:

spacer.png

The idea is to tie in with the city, not the team. 

• Like 9

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Here's the thing about baseball. They desperately needed to do something to appeal to younger crowds. There's 150+ games a year, so why not wear something completely different for a handful of games?

- Wanna go to a baseball game?

- Not really, not when there's so much good content on TikTok

- You sure?

- Yeah

- The Cubs are wearing blue shirts with blue pants

- I'm there

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

- Wanna go to a baseball game?

- Not really, not when there's so much good content on TikTok

- You sure?

- Yeah

- The Cubs are wearing blue shirts with blue pants

- I'm there

It's more like "I live in Chicago Southside and I don't watch baseball, but damn that Southside jersey is sick! I think I need to get that to wear around." Once you realize most of the City Connects (and the NBA City jerseys) are more to be worn as city/region pride streetwear, it makes a lot more sense. It's about selling jerseys to people who don't particularly want what a team is currently wearing. Some of them still fail in this regard IMO, but most make more sense as streetwear.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Was wondering…why don’t the blue jays get a Stars and Stripes hat to match the rest of the league ? Before I get “Canada” I was just getting to they are in a U.S. baseball league, their opponent (no matter who) is getting the celebratory gear and it’s not like you have to live there to celebrate. Heck, don’t the warriors (not an nba guy) do like Chinese new years jerseys? I saw their special cap and it looked like the batter man was S&S anyway

KISSwall09.jpg

5 minutes ago, hormone said:

Was wondering…why don’t the blue jays get a Stars and Stripes hat to match the rest of the league ? Before I get “Canada” I was just getting to they are in a U.S. baseball league, their opponent (no matter who) is getting the celebratory gear and it’s not like you have to live there to celebrate. Heck, don’t the warriors (not an nba guy) do like Chinese new years jerseys? I saw their special cap and it looked like the batter man was S&S anyway

I mean Canadian Independence Day is July 1st, and I think the NBA teams that celebrate Chinese New Year have a large group of fans who celebrate it. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, adsarebad said:

-

This is garbage:

spacer.png

Other than the logo on the cap, and it saying Boston across the chest…..

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ark said:

What does this have to do with the Marlins baseball team?

Marlins%20City%20Connect%20Rojas.jpeg

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The idea is to tie in with the city, not the team. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31460343/miami-marlins-jerseys-honor-former-triple-team-cuban-sugar-kings

Again, it's something specific to the CITY of Miami, not the team. 

May 22, 2015 Miami Marlins vs Baltimore Orioles - Cuban Heritage T Shirt -  Stadium Giveaway Exchange

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

What does a Cuban team have to do with the city?

From the ESPN article:

"The Sugar Kings were a Triple-A team in the International League that was owned by Bobby Maduro and played out of Havana, Cuba, from 1954 to 1960.

Maduro -- revered so much in Miami that a baseball stadium was named after him -- aspired to turn the Sugar Kings into a major league team based out of Cuba, an aspiration expressed through the team's popular motto of "Un Paso Mas Y Llegamos" ("One More Step And We Get There"). The team got close, winning the Junior World Series in 1959, but Fidel Castro's rise to power and Cuba's deteriorated relations with the United States forced the team to suddenly relocate to New Jersey and ultimately dissolve. The older generation of Cubans in Miami -- many of whom live in Little Havana, site of the Marlins' ballpark -- still look back on that team with great reverence. Cookie Rojas, a Cuban American who played for the Sugar Kings and went on to carve out a 16-year major league career, called the Marlins' uniforms "a very good, well-deserved representation of the ballclub in trying to give the Sugar Kings what they deserve.".

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png