MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

7 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

LA Angels, Arizona,  and Houston's CC unis are 10 times better than the blinding Red Sox CC uni.

Nobody associates and connects  Boston to it's  marathon race.

New York has a marathon, so do many other cities ......

As a Boston sports fan, I can tell you that the marathon is pretty ingrained in the culture. They do it on Patriots Day every year, a regional holiday celebrating the start of the Revolutionary War. Everyone gets off school, and the Red Sox play at 11am that day to coincide with the race. Then, ever since the bombing in 2013 and subsequent David Ortiz speech and Red Sox championship, it has become a bigger part of the culture and became even more tied to the Red Sox.

If you don't think the Red Sox should wear a jersey for it, that's fine. But it is absolutely something the city cares about, and the design absolutely nails the goal. You'll see nearly as many City Connect jerseys as regular ones at points in the crowd. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AstroCree said:

The person who came up with the idea to move the ad depending on the batter's position, I hope they walk with pebbles in their shoes for life. 

Finally it's here, the battle of the most disgusting ad patch, who will come out victorious!!??

-

-

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

As a Boston sports fan, I can tell you that the marathon is pretty ingrained in the culture. They do it on Patriots Day every year, a regional holiday celebrating the start of the Revolutionary War. Everyone gets off school, and the Red Sox play at 11am that day to coincide with the race. Then, ever since the bombing in 2013 and subsequent David Ortiz speech and Red Sox championship, it has become a bigger part of the culture and became even more tied to the Red Sox.

If you don't think the Red Sox should wear a jersey for it, that's fine. But it is absolutely something the city cares about, and the design absolutely nails the goal. You'll see nearly as many City Connect jerseys as regular ones at points in the crowd. 

I can't think of another city in the world that has a connection between a marathon and it like Boston does. It makes perfect sense for a special jersey.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I can't think of another city in the world that has a connection between a marathon and it like Boston does.

Marathon, Greece, probably.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

LA Angels, Arizona,  and Houston's CC unis are 10 times better than the blinding Red Sox CC uni.

From Wikipedia:

"The Boston Marathon began on 19 April 1897, and was inspired by the success of the first marathon competition in the 1896 Summer Olympics. It is the world's oldest run annual marathon, and ranks as one of the world's most prestigious road racing events" 

So yeah, I think Boston can lay claim to marathons. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

I do. Maybe it's because I've been a fan of American League baseball so I know that there's a Monday in April that a game starts early so to coincide with the marathon. That and ESPN has upped their own coverage of it over the years. I don't have a clue when the other one's hold theirs.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I do. Maybe it's because I've been a fan of American League baseball so I know that there's a Monday in April that a game starts early so to coincide with the marathon. That and ESPN has upped their own coverage of it over the years. I don't have a clue when the other one's hold theirs.

Yeah - that OP was a historically bad take.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Not even a remotely accurate statement. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most recognizable marathon in the world. Far more than New York. And I say that as someone who lives in the middle of the country and doesn't pay attention to marathons.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Absolutely incorrect lmao, the Boston Marathon is literally one of the most notable and respected marathons in the world.

So? What does that have to do with your statement of why the Boston Marathon, specifically, is not iconic? Plenty of cities in Canada have marathon races of their own, does that make the Terry Fox Run any less iconic?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Yeah...im not even in the circle of running athletics and I know Boston and NYC are both considered a major in marathons

Tokyo Marathon, Boston Marathon, London Marathon, Berlin Marathon, Chicago Marathon and New York City Marathon

• Like 1

14 hours ago, McCall said:

Not even a remotely accurate statement. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most recognizable marathon in the world. Far more than New York. And I say that as someone who lives in the middle of the country and doesn't pay attention to marathons.

And why is that?

• Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Absolutely incorrect lmao, the Boston Marathon is literally one of the most notable and respected marathons in the world.

So? What does that have to do with your statement of why the Boston Marathon, specifically, is not iconic? Plenty of cities in Canada have marathon races of their own, does that make the Terry Fox Run any less iconic?

The Marathon is not what people think of first when they think about Boston.

You think of landmarks, heritage, not a single yearly sporting event.

And the colors are jarring,  they do not belong on a team called Red Sox...

and if it had to be a different color(s)  green and orange would be a hell of lot better and of course way more "City Connected"!

• Facepalm 4

14 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

The Marathon is not what people think of first when they think about Boston.

You think of landmarks, heritage, not a single yearly sporting event.

And the colors are jarring,  they do not belong on a team called Red Sox...

and if it had to be a different color(s)  green and orange would be a hell of lot better and of course way more "City Connected"!

The whole idea of City Connect is that it focuses on something people from that area latch on to. So yes, the Boston Marathon has as much to do with Boston as the Boston Tea Party, USS Constitution, and their sports teams. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If "Things in Boston" were a $25,000 Pyramid subject, I'd probably start with "the Tea Party, the Marathon, Fenway Park," for whatever it's worth ($50-$150, probably)

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whether or not Boston can "claim" marathons is kind of beside the point. Sure Boston has the Boston Marathon and it's a big deal.

Doesn't mean the city's baseball team, just as engrained in the identity of the city if not more so, should ditch their traditional colours to homage the marathon. 

• Like 5