While Nike's City Connect program aims to pay tribute to each team's respective city, I wanted to come up with designs that would specifically honor MLB ballparks, some of which have been around for the better part of a century or longer. Much like the City Connect designs, you'll see color schemes, scripts and patterns you wouldn't normally see on a team's every day unis. Full disclosure, I'm not particularly inclined to tackle teams whose parks are named after corporations, so apologies in advance if your team gets passed over. I might end up changing my mind about that, though. We'll see. 

We'll start today with the Red Sox and Fenway Park:

Red-Sox-Fenway-Park.png

Some notes:

- Primary color is Green Monster Green

- The font used for the script and back numbers is called Senator Demi and is based on this wall art welcoming fans to the ballpark.  

- McAuliffe style front numbers enclosed in a white circle are inspired by the retired numbers displayed on Fenway's right field facade

C&C appreciated! I already have a few of the other more well-known parks ready to go, but I'll probably need help with most of the others, so suggestions are appreciated. 

• Like 19

On 9/19/2022 at 9:52 PM, johne9109 said:

THIS is what the Red Sox city connect should've been. I love the meaning behind our current city connect, but it was so poorly executed. This is a thing of beauty

Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Coiler said:

Looks great. I can even see it as a primary uniform with different wording.

Curious how you'd do the Rays or A's in their not-very-well-regarded stadiums.

Thanks! As for the Rays and A's, those are two of the teams I probably won't end up tackling unless I find great inspiration somehow. I should also add that for certain teams, I'll be tackling former ballparks (Old Comiskey for the White Sox, Old Yankee Stadium, etc.). 

Next up are the Dodgers & Dodger Stadium:

Dodgers-Dodger-Stadium.png

Notes:

- The overall design is primarily based on the Welcome to Dodger Stadium sign, including the use of Futura Bold for the script and numbers. 

- Subtle pinstripes are meant to evoke the corrugated texture of the sign 
- The multicolored sleeve and sock stripes are the colors of the seats at the ballpark

- A palm tree is added to the "LA" monogram

C&C appreciated! Ideas for future designs are welcome. 

• Like 14

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Cathedral Connect Series (Dodger Stadium 9/21)

Not that the bar's too high off the ground, but the Dodger Stadium inspired uniform is miles better than the City Connect 😎

I can't wait to see what's next.  Dare I say it, are we gonna see anything Expos?

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Dodgers one looks great, and also could work as a primary uniform.

As for inspirations, well... I want to be really bad and say a Tropicana Field one. Basically, it would be the absolute plainest colors (so red and blue), the font and layout would be something that a graphic designer in the mid-90s when they came into being rushed into production in less than an hour, and the cap logo would be nothing but the letters "TB" in said font. 🤪

More seriously, I don't know if you're doing a Candlestick one, but I'd have it be in Giants colors with added cyan and the font being one featuring icicles (to lightheartedly pay homage to how cold it frequently got there).

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 9/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, Discrim said:

Not that the bar's too high off the ground, but the Dodger Stadium inspired uniform is miles better than the City Connect 😎

I can't wait to see what's next.  Dare I say it, are we gonna see anything Expos?

Thanks! Not sure if I'll be tackling any defunct teams. If I end up doing the Expos, I'll likely save them for last. 

18 hours ago, Coiler said:

The Dodgers one looks great, and also could work as a primary uniform.

As for inspirations, well... I want to be really bad and say a Tropicana Field one. Basically, it would be the absolute plainest colors (so red and blue), the font and layout would be something that a graphic designer in the mid-90s when they came into being rushed into production in less than an hour, and the cap logo would be nothing but the letters "TB" in said font. 🤪

More seriously, I don't know if you're doing a Candlestick one, but I'd have it be in Giants colors with added cyan and the font being one featuring icicles (to lightheartedly pay homage to how cold it frequently got there).

Thanks! Yeah, the Rays' stadium seems pretty dull, and I'd like to stick to my rule of no corporate names. Spoiler alert: The few exceptions I might make will be for teams named after beers (Coors, Busch, maybe Miller). Haven't decided which park I'll be doing for the Giants, yet. 

Up next are the Friendly Confines!

Cubs-Wrigley-Field-white.png

Notes:

- Between the old timey scoreboard and the ivy on the outfield walls, Wrigley is a very green ballpark, so I went with a green-dominant design.

- The script and trim beneath it are based on the famous marquee sign 

- Subtle ivy pattern on the sleeves and socks

- Jersey numbers are yellow a la the park dimensions painted on the outfield walls

- The "W" on the cap can stand for both "Wrigley" and the "Win" flag

C&C appreciated and ideas welcome! 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Cathedral Connect Series (Wrigley Field 9/25)

Great as always. Unlike the first two, this is clearly a special occasion gimmick uniform. But it's a well done and appropriate gimmick uniform.

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! Yeah, the Rays' stadium seems pretty dull, and I'd like to stick to my rule of no corporate names. Spoiler alert: The few exceptions I might make will be for teams named after beers (Coors, Busch, maybe Miller). Haven't decided which park I'll be doing for the Giants, yet.

Coors should be a flying baseball to symbolize its reputation as a hitter's park. 🤪

I know what non-sponsor name I can apply the Bland Connect to: Any team with a 1960s-70s giant concrete doughnut.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:39 PM, coco1997 said:

Thanks! As for the Rays and A's, those are two of the teams I probably won't end up tackling unless I find great inspiration somehow.

For the Rays, Incorporate the Crooked Dome somehow. For the A’s maybe drive home the Multi Use theme

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 9/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, Coiler said:

Great as always. Unlike the first two, this is clearly a special occasion gimmick uniform. But it's a well done and appropriate gimmick uniform.

Coors should be a flying baseball to symbolize its reputation as a hitter's park. 🤪

I know what non-sponsor name I can apply the Bland Connect to: Any team with a 1960s-70s giant concrete doughnut.

Thanks! The Coors suggestion is a good one. If I do the Rockies it'll probably be a similar color scheme to their City Connect set. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, Blindsay said:

For the Rays, Incorporate the Crooked Dome somehow. For the A’s maybe drive home the Multi Use theme

Thanks. Still deciding if and how I'll handle Tampa Bay. However, I've already taken your "multi-use stadium" idea into consideration for a different team that I'll be posting soon.

Up next are the Orioles and Camden Yards!

Orioles-Camden-Yards.png

Notes:

- The arched "Orioles" script comes from the iconic illuminated clock at the stadium. 

- The flowery "B" on the sleeve and socks was used by the 1890s Orioles and also appears on the seats at Orioles Park

- I originally had a simple checkerboard pattern for the sleeves and pants but @Victormrey had the brilliant suggestion to go with a brick pattern as a nod to the B&O Warehouse which is adjacent to Orioles Park. 

C&C appreciated! Please keep the suggestions for future teams/ballparks coming. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Cathedral Connect Series (Camden Yards 9/28)

You always bring the unique and outside-the-box ideas to the concepts section, and I love it. I know that when I see your name next to a project, it will be great.

With that out of the way, these designs are magnificent! What you have included in the designs of these teams are so clever and ingenuous (the brick siding for the O's uni, the font for the Dodgers uni, and the trim from the Wrigley sign), and it brings the level of these designs to another level. And yes, the Cubs uni is better than the CityConnect ones (and the Red Sox and the Dodgers one too, matter of fact). And yellow for the O's seems like a likely step for designers (considering that yellow is prominent on their state flag), but I don't remember seeing an O's concept on this site with yellow.

Keep up the phenomenal work!

• Love 1

rAUPGPZ.png

On 9/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, Victormrey said:

First of all, what an unique idea for a series!

The designs look wonderful so far. I'd say my favourite one is the Dodgers' uni, specially with that sleeve patch 🌴

What about trying out something based on PNC Park and the Three Sisters?

Thanks a lot! I'm not quite decided yet on what I want to do for the Pirates. As gorgeous as PNC is, I'd like to stick to my "no corporate named parks" rule. I'm sure I'll come up with a compromise of some kind. 

On 9/29/2022 at 2:35 AM, Coiler said:

Another great concept that could even work as a primary uniform.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I've always loved that loopy B and completely forgot about it when I was doing that Field of Dreams series. It's beautiful. 

Thanks! Speaking of your Field of Dreams series, do you plan to finish it up? I'm dying to see the AL & NL West. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, GrayJ12 said:

You always bring the unique and outside-the-box ideas to the concepts section, and I love it. I know that when I see your name next to a project, it will be great.

With that out of the way, these designs are magnificent! What you have included in the designs of these teams are so clever and ingenuous (the brick siding for the O's uni, the font for the Dodgers uni, and the trim from the Wrigley sign), and it brings the level of these designs to another level. And yes, the Cubs uni is better than the CityConnect ones (and the Red Sox and the Dodgers one too, matter of fact). And yellow for the O's seems like a likely step for designers (considering that yellow is prominent on their state flag), but I don't remember seeing an O's concept on this site with yellow.

Keep up the phenomenal work!

Wow, those are some truly kind words! I'm really glad you enjoy my work. As for the use of yellow for the O's, the team's mid '90s-early 2000s primary logos actually featured traces of light yellow, but my main reason for including it was to emulate the glow of the "ORIOLES" lights above the clockface at the park. It also tied in nicely to the brick pattern.

Up next are the Giants and Candlestick Park!

Giants-Candlestick-Park-w-snowy-SF.png

Notes:

- Here's where things start to get a little interesting. By now, AT&T/Oracle Park is probably the more iconic park for the Giants, but again, I wanted to stick to my "no corporate names" rule, and you can't discount the fact that the Giants called this stadium home for 40 seasons. 

- Black and orange are replaced with 49ers colors, as the stadium was also used by the city's NFL team for over 40 seasons 

- The script comes from the "Say Goodbye to the 'Stick" logo the Giants used to commemorate the the park's final season in 1999

- As suggested by @Coiler, the sleeve features a "snowed out" version of the SF monogram, as games at Candlestick were a notoriously frigid experience, even during the summer months. Fans were even given "Croix de Candlestick" pins featuring the Latin slogan "Veni, vidi, vixi" ("I came, I saw, I survived") as a reward for weathering extra-inning night games. 

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 7
  • WOAH 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Cathedral Connect Series (Candlestick Park 10/1)
On 10/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, Coiler said:

Looks great. A fitting tribute to both the icebox and the football team.

Thanks!

On 10/1/2022 at 1:45 PM, mcrosby said:

Ideally, yes. Been distracted by the project in my sig for a while now. 

Good to hear!

Next up is Yankee Stadium!

Yankees-Yankee-Stadium-yellow-gold.png

- Reverse pinstripes are meant to evoke the uniforms worn by food & drink vendors at Yankee Stadium. 

- Beveled gold lettering resembles the lettering adorning the main entrance of the ballpark. 
- The iconic Yankee Stadium facades are applied to both the sleeves and socks. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for allowing me to borrow the sleeve pattern from our joint City Edition series.

- The block "NY" cap design is based on the NYPD tribute caps worn for the 9/11 anniversary game

- The encircled jersey numbers--sort of a "porthole" into the classic Yankee pinstripes--are inspired by Monument Park, with the Yankees having the most retired numbers in all of MLB at 22. 

C&C appreciated! @NicDB, any suggestions for Milwaukee?

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Cathedral Connect Series (Yankee Stadium 10/4)
5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks!

Good to hear!

Next up is Yankee Stadium!

Yankees-Yankee-Stadium-yellow-gold.png

- Reverse pinstripes are meant to evoke the uniforms worn by food & drink vendors at Yankee Stadium. 

- Beveled gold lettering resembles the lettering adorning the main entrance of the ballpark. 
- The iconic Yankee Stadium facades are applied to both the sleeves and socks. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for allowing me to borrow the sleeve pattern from our joint City Edition series.

- The block "NY" cap design is based on the NYPD tribute caps worn for the 9/11 anniversary game

- The encircled jersey numbers--sort of a "porthole" into the classic Yankee pinstripes--are inspired by Monument Park, with the Yankees having the most retired numbers in all of MLB at 22. 

C&C appreciated! @NicDB, any suggestions for Milwaukee?

I would not be surprised if they go this route for the City Connect unis 

• Like 1