NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm a big fan of the classic Oilers uniform as it was, but I think going back to the Futura numbers and giving them some drop-shadows to go along with the drop-shadowed wordmark would have made them even better. Nice mid-century touch. Team shouldn't have been allowed to move.

while I like those numbers (they’re not really futura tho, are they?), I never thought of them as a mid-century team. I guess because I grew up in the Moon, Haywood Jeffires, et al 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, Chawls said:

With the Oilers throwback unveiling only a week away now, are we prepared for the all the traffic that’ll inevitably crash the boards? 

Because the boards will crash. 

I've been sharpening my pitchforks

• Applause 1

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

while I like those numbers (they’re not really futura tho, are they?), I never thought of them as a mid-century team. I guess because I grew up in the Moon, Haywood Jeffires, et al 

Nope, not Futura. You can tell by the straight angle on the upper terminal of the 2.

Looking more closely, it seems that Futura Book was a basis for the numbers, but with some modifications (the 1 has a base, a few other things here and there). Also, I think the "NFL Houston Oilers Throwback" font on my computer cut some corners. I regret the error.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, henburg said:

I really hope they just do the right thing and adapt these faithfully, but I could potentially see them putting a slight twist on it and having the Tennessee Oilers patch on the jersey like the team wore while it first was playing in the state-

spacer.png

To be pedantic, the Tennessee Oilers never wore THAT jersey while playing IN the state of Tennessee. The two years they were the Tennessee Oilers, they only wore white at home. They wore the blue jerseys once during the 1997 preseason at Dallas, twice during the 1997 regular season at Miami and at Dallas, and didn't wear them at all in 1998.

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=TNO&year=1997

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=TNO&year=1998

• Like 4
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

To be pedantic, the Tennessee Oilers never wore THAT jersey while playing IN the state of Tennessee. The two years they were the Tennessee Oilers, they only wore white at home. They wore the blue jerseys once during the 1997 preseason at Dallas, twice during the 1997 regular season at Miami and at Dallas, and didn't wear them at all in 1998.

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=TNO&year=1997

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=TNO&year=1998

Wait so if they had still been the Oilers in '99 they might have chosen to wear white in the Super Bowl and put Rams in blue?? Now I'm even more mad they rebranded that year

Potential mockup of vikings throwback that is being unveiled tomorrow for season ticket holders:

spacer.png

These would be great but I personally kind of hope it's the road jersey from 1969 and onward that's white with the vertical sleeve stripes.  Would make JJ feel like he was back at LSU:

spacer.png

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, jdthrillinger said:

Potential mockup of vikings throwback that is being unveiled tomorrow for season ticket holders:

spacer.png

These would be great but I personally kind of hope it's the road jersey from 1969 and onward that's white with the vertical sleeve stripes.  Would make JJ feel like he was back at LSU:

spacer.png

PLEASE no plain white socks. 

Personally I would take the Tommy Kramer look. I’m young enough that grey facemasks don’t look right to me unless the team has grey in their color scheme. Except for the Steelers, who, if we are being honest, should have (more) grey in their color scheme. 

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

White helmets

us nerds know the history of the white helmet, but will the general fan? I wonder if it’ll be plain with a gray mask or have some striping with a brown or white one? 

Side note totally unrelated- I went to ysu (Youngstown state) two plus decades ago with that dude. He was some volunteer for them or something way back then. His job turned out to be way cooler than mine. I guess teaching and talking about uniforms isn’t nearly as fun as dressing actual players.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

14 minutes ago, hormone said:

us nerds know the history of the white helmet, but will the general fan? I wonder if it’ll be plain with a gray mask or have some striping with a brown or white one? 

Side note totally unrelated- I went to ysu (Youngstown state) two plus decades ago with that dude. He was some volunteer for them or something way back then. His job turned out to be way cooler than mine. I guess teaching and talking about uniforms isn’t nearly as fun as dressing actual players.

I've already seen a ton of comments mocking them for copying off the Bengals by going with a white helmet. Forget the fact that the Browns existed first and wore white helmets 17 years before the Bengals even existed. 

3 hours ago, JM11_Design said:

Texans will wear the red helmets for three home games, including Battle Red Out on Nov 26

Source: https://www.houstontexans.com/news/houston-texans-announce-2023-home-game-themes

"The team will wear their Battle Red Helmet, which debuted in 2022, during three home games this season, the maximum number of times allowed per the NFL."

This is interesting and potentially could mean that they will pair them with the navy Color Rush set for one game. I’ve always wondered why the team doesn’t wear red more than one game. I have a feeling it might be the Watt Pittsburgh game in addition to the Thanksgiving weekend Jags game, or maybe the Christmas Eve game against Cleveland.

7 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

This is interesting and potentially could mean that they will pair them with the navy Color Rush set for one game. I’ve always wondered why the team doesn’t wear red more than one game. I have a feeling it might be the Watt Pittsburgh game in addition to the Thanksgiving weekend Jags game, or maybe the Christmas Eve game against Cleveland.

Red helmet, navy jersey, red pants, navy sock.

Do it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, hormone said:

That's cool.

As for the helmet... most fans are clueless to history. Even just 4 or 5 years ago is too far for some. What's interesting watching this play out is the 'fans' that think the Bills/Bengals have been 'good teams' for years just because of recent success, yet ignore/downplay history of the Eagles, despite the fact they WON a Super Bowl just a few years ago.

Even then, some is willful ignorance. The number of fans that actively argued that Leaf was going to be the better QB than Manning was nearly even with Manning-backed fans. Yet you won't find anyone admitting it.  There was a time Ryan "The Sanchise" Sanchez led the Jets to two AFC Championship Games, yet most only choose to remember the Butt Fumble, if anything at all.

So, even vaguely aware that the Browns ever had anything other than the plain orange helmet? Impossible.

Which is a shame.

As for what they choose, I'm hoping it's an brown/orange/brown center stripe mimicking the orange helmet. Though the facemask didn't exist then, I'd assume they'll use the color of the regular facemask instead of getting all new ones for one game.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1