NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the NFL comes out and says that teams can swap out the helmets across all sets, it could be a great addition. For now though, it's just a mismatched helmet with an alternate set. 

I think the Broncos wearing their white helmet with an all-blue uniform would be just as likely as them wearing it with a sensible combo in that situation. I don't think that's much of an improvement.

2 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

I think the Broncos wearing their white helmet with an all-blue uniform would be just as likely as them wearing it with a sensible combo in that situation. I don't think that's much of an improvement.

But if they change to something similar to their uniform prior to the original Nike outfit they can work.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Chargers had been a navy blue team for most of my life when they started wearing powder blue throwbacks regularly. I didn't throw a fit about them "not looking like the Chargers."

What a strange position.

• Like 12

On 7/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, monkeypower said:

Did Nike switch to screen printing names and numbers for retail jerseys with the new template?

I seem to recall there being three levels of Nike jerseys when I last bought an NFL jersey in 2019, most expensive, middle, cheapest, where the middle one was stitched because that's what I got. Now looking at these new Jets  jerseys, the middle price point one is screen printed and same with all the other different throwback jerseys.

There are still stitched jerseys in the middle price point of the old templates available. 

They most certainly did, kind of, it's not exactly screen print but definitely some type of cheap plastic like iron on. I recently got one and there's no comparison to the old limiteds I have (Have 3: a Flywire, and 2 Vapor untouchables, but name/number application is the same on all 3, the sleeve stripes are also stitched.).

On the new one, the nike logos are stitched that's it. It's like Nike just sends blank ones to Fanatics for cheap name/number application. I believe the Limited only used to be 150 as well, so now you're paying an extra $25 for lower quality.

Same thing happened with some Mitchell and Ness stuff with the Fantatics takeover. I have a couple swingman basketball jersey where the name/number is embroidered and if you didn't know any better, probably couldn't tell the difference from the authentic. I got one recently and the numbers are applied the same way as the new NFL Limited. You're honestly better off looking for cheap knockoffs from China at this rate.

Here's the product details between the new template and the previous ones for Nike's Limited (middle version)

Vapor Untouchable Limited (Old):

• Brand: Nike
  • Imported
  • Chainmaille Mesh Grill at front neck and back seam lines inspired by the authentic on-field jersey
  • Embroidered accents
  • Metallic-effect NFL shield at collar
  • Satin twill woven jock tag
  • Stitched tackle twill name and numbers
  • Tagless collar
  • Vapor untouchable limited chassis
  • Material: 100% Recycled Polyester
  • Machine wash, line dry
  • Jersey Color Style: Primary
  • Officially licensed
  • Nike Limited

Vapor F.U.S.E Limited (New):

• Imported
  • Chainmaille mesh grill and metallic-effect NFL Shield at collar
  • Vapor F.U.S.E. chassis delivers an authentic look and feel on game day
  • Dri-FIT® technology wicks away moisture
  • Heat-sealed twill name and numbers
  • Screen print stripes
  • Flatlock stitching
  • V-neck collar
  • Satin woven jock tag
  • Standard fit
  • Embroidered team details
  • Short sleeve
  • Material: 100% Polyester Double Pique
  • Machine wash, line dry
  • Jersey Color Style: Team
  • Move To Zero is Nike's journey toward zero carbon and zero waste to help protect the future of sport. Apparel labeled “sustainable materials” is made with at least 55% recycled content.
  • Officially licensed
  • Nike Limited

18 minutes ago, VikWings said:

They most certainly did, kind of, it's not exactly screen print but definitely some type of cheap plastic like iron on. I recently got one and there's no comparison to the old limiteds I have (Have 3: a Flywire, and 2 Vapor untouchables, but name/number application is the same on all 3, the sleeve stripes are also stitched.).

On the new one, the nike logos are stitched that's it. It's like Nike just sends blank ones to Fanatics for cheap name/number application. I believe the Limited only used to be 150 as well, so now you're paying an extra $25 for lower quality.

Same thing happened with some Mitchell and Ness stuff with the Fantatics takeover. I have a couple swingman basketball jersey where the name/number is embroidered and if you didn't know any better, probably couldn't tell the difference from the authentic. I got one recently and the numbers are applied the same way as the new NFL Limited. You're honestly better off looking for cheap knockoffs from China at this rate.

Here's the product details between the new template and the previous ones for Nike's Limited (middle version)

Vapor Untouchable Limited (Old):

• Imported
  • Chainmaille Mesh Grill at front neck and back seam lines inspired by the authentic on-field jersey
  • Embroidered accents
  • Metallic-effect NFL shield at collar
  • Satin twill woven jock tag
  • Stitched tackle twill name and numbers
  • Tagless collar
  • Vapor untouchable limited chassis
  • Material: 100% Recycled Polyester
  • Machine wash, line dry
  • Jersey Color Style: Primary
  • Officially licensed
  • Nike Limited

Vapor F.U.S.E Limited (New):

• Imported
  • Chainmaille mesh grill and metallic-effect NFL Shield at collar
  • Vapor F.U.S.E. chassis delivers an authentic look and feel on game day
  • Dri-FIT® technology wicks away moisture
  • Heat-sealed twill name and numbers
  • Screen print stripes
  • Flatlock stitching
  • V-neck collar
  • Satin woven jock tag
  • Standard fit
  • Embroidered team details
  • Short sleeve
  • Material: 100% Polyester Double Pique
  • Machine wash, line dry
  • Jersey Color Style: Team
  • Move To Zero is Nike's journey toward zero carbon and zero waste to help protect the future of sport. Apparel labeled “sustainable materials” is made with at least 55% recycled content.
  • Officially licensed
  • Nike Limited

This certainly sounds like a solution cooked up between Nike & Fanatics to cut costs and maximize profit while delivering an inferior product to fans.  It’s freaking sad, but that’s what Fanatics does.

When I first started seeing this, I thought maybe they just switched to heat-applied twill as a way to produce jerseys faster.  But what you said makes sense:  Nike probably is just stocking a crap ton of blank replicas at Fanatics, and Fanatics just knocks them out with heat applied names & numbers on demand when an order comes in.  

I get it from a production standpoint - as a business, that would make the most sense, as you’re not trying to forecast how many jerseys to manufacture per player, and you’re not stuck with inventory if the jerseys don’t sell or if the player is cut or traded.  Having blank stock on hand to fulfill as ordered means all you have to do replenish blank inventory.  It cuts down on SKUs exponentially.  It’s the way to do it.

But it sucks for fans who expect stitched twill.  I wouldn’t spend $175 on one of these for that  reason alone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

This certainly sounds like a solution cooked up between Nike & Fanatics to cut costs and maximize profit while delivering an inferior product to fans.  It’s freaking sad, but that’s what Fanatics does.

When I first started seeing this, I thought maybe they just switched to heat-applied twill as a way to produce jerseys faster.  But what you said makes sense:  Nike probably is just stocking a crap ton of blank replicas at Fanatics, and Fanatics just knocks them out with heat applied names & numbers on demand when an order comes in.  

I get it from a production standpoint - as a business, that would make the most sense, as you’re not trying to forecast how many jerseys to manufacture per player, and you’re not stuck with inventory if the jerseys don’t sell or if the player is cut or traded.  Having blank stock on hand to fulfill as ordered means all you have to do replenish blank inventory.  It cuts down on SKUs exponentially.  It’s the way to do it.

But it sucks for fans who expect stitched twill.  I wouldn’t spend $175 on one of these for that  reason alone.

Exactly. It was funny that it said it wasn't going to ship until the end of August, but it came in less than a week.

And I ordered it expecting it to be exactly like my other Limited's just on the new template, because I like the less cheap look of them and also they fit nicer. I have a Game replica and the sleeve area is really baggy and kinda long. Limiteds are more fitted. Had I known the step up wasn't going to be as big as before I would have just said F it and ordered the Game version or just went the Chinese knockoff route.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Exactly. It was funny that it said it wasn't going to ship until the end of August, but it came in less than a week.

And I ordered it expecting it to be exactly like my other Limited's just on the new template, because I like the less cheap look of them and also they fit nicer. I have a Game replica and the sleeve area is really baggy and kinda long. Limiteds are more fitted. Had I known the step up wasn't going to be as big as before I would have just said F it and ordered the Game version or just went the Chinese knockoff route.

Yeah, I haven’t bought a replica in 20 years but I’m tempted to go grab some leftover Limiteds.

This is something I noticed on Swingman basketball jerseys several months ago, too. I was stunned that the "twill" was so thin and flimsy, and that there was no longer any stitching involved whatsoever. It really is glorified iron-ons at this point. The fully sublimated replicas Nike now sells are probably a better value that either of the non-"authentic" levels, and they'll likely last you longer, too.

I was at the Packers team store a couple weeks ago, and they were selling their actual authentics - Ripon-made with Nike branding - for $355. Certainly not for my tax bracket, but interesting to see it available as a retail option in an era where the true "authentic" jersey is a dying breed.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don’t want the changes thread to spin off into a fanatics ruined gear thread, but just to add a few quick comments…they are calling all these alternates “special event items” so no type of coupons or lids passes work on them. I have yet to see any in authentic for sale. Heck, this was the first year I saw a bucs pewter authentic for sale. It was a customizable one for $370. 

KISSwall09.jpg

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

I wasn't sure if it was a Nike thing or if it was a Fanatics thing, which is partially why I asked.

3 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I was going to question if that were to be the case, then how come not all players are available on both templates. When the Jets throwbacks were released, Quinnen Williams' jersey was available in the Game version but not in the Limited. However, his jersey has since been taken off the site.

They also have former players available in the Game version and not the Limited as well but I would guess that might have something to do with trying to keep Limited as "on-field".

3 hours ago, HOOVER said:

On the Canadian shop site, the jerseys are $272, which is $40 CAD higher than the current exchange rate of $175 USD to CAD. $272 CAD is about $201 USD.

I already wasn't planning on buying one of these Jets throwbacks to begin with and it's definitely not making me feel anymore likely seeing $272 for heat-sealed twill name and numbers,

IbjBaeE.png

15 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

In 15-20 years we’re gonna be getting Bengals, Cardinals, Patriots and Vikings Reebok throwbacks

Honestly, it's almost guaranteed the Brady era uniforms will be a throwback for the Patriots in the future. Also, Adidas made those uniforms.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, sergeantscruffy said:

At this point, you gotta believe Bob McNair has major heat with Amy Adams Strunk.  She’s just rubbing his dick in the dirt here.

EDIT:  *had.  RIP Mr. McNair.

• LOL 7

25 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

Bob McNair passed away. His widow is the principal owner of the Texans now.

His son and his wife runs the day to day. 

1 hour ago, sergeantscruffy said:

53 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Houston vs “Houston” is fantastic. Well done Tennessee 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4766x9mbyx0otkuylhvy

41 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Genius move to be honest. Gets older Houstonians sentimental (particularly Baby Boomers and Generation X'ers) seeing those unis again

Older millennials such myself too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

At this point, you gotta believe Bob McNair has major heat with Amy Adams Strunk.  She’s just rubbing his dick in the dirt here.

EDIT: Cal McNair.  Thank you for the corrections.