NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Both the bird logo and the old wordmark were terrible. The Eagles were in desperate need of a rebrand by 1996, but they've been in desperate need of another one since about 2008, too, when you finally started to see some resistance to the dark-n-fade across leagues (Oilers, Brewers, Rams, Penguins). 

I agree with you to an extent. I think the overuse of black recently has made their current set much more drab. That said, something about the hunter green I like. Navy was very overused in the darkening trend, but their current green is fairly unique. And while I like the throwbacks, they aren't the answer either. 

Part of me wonders if a mix of kelly green, hunter green, and silver would make a nice set. Using the hunter green as a "black" for number outlines and stripes. IDK just spit balling. 

Using midnight green where your eyes would expect black would just make it feel like a really washed-out black. Might as well commit to the classic color scheme at that point. 

What about a slight greenish tint to the silver?

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The old word mark was great! Way better than the generic one they adopted last year, and the awkwardly-scaled and spikey one they used from ‘03-‘21, and the basebally one from ‘96-‘02. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One odd thing about the Eagles set from 2003 onward is the use of both silver and charcoal. The silver has been used exclusively on the wings and sleeve patch while the charcoal is used on the pants and the numbers.

1339865698.0.jpg

The proportions on the pant stripes have always struck me as odd as well. The outer stripes are different sizes with the thin stripe inserted in the center.

1366906304.jpeg

The green has gotten quite a bit lighter over the years to the point where I think the green itself isn't an issue. I'd much rather see the charcoal replaced with silver and the pant stripes going to a different style.

• Like 6

On 8/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, PlayGloria said:

It's sort of funny... after seeing all of these throwbacks with striped socks, sleeve stripes, etc, somehow it has made the new AZ Cards set look dated already and they haven't even stepped foot on the field 🤣 

I mean, you tell me which one looks out of date. To me, it isn't the throwbacks:

Arizona Cardinals Uniform Reveal - YouTube

The Tennessee Titans Throwback Uniforms Are A Sharp 'Old' Look - Sports  Illustrated Tennessee Titans News, Analysis and More

Pro Football Journal: Seahawks Show Their Throwback Uniforms

Well,. it doesn't help that the Cards rolled out an epic failure of what appears to be the laziest effort at a redesign ever.  It looks more like pajamas...or a pee wee league that couldn't afford more than just the bare basic templates.

The whole solid color sock thing is just a horrible idea...it's already dated just like all the piping crap that was so popular for about 20 years.

I've always liked flashy uniforms and don't mind new looks at all.  The problem is, Nike pushes the envelope until they tear it into a million pieces...like a drunk who just doesn't know when to quit.

The throwbacks you show are all great looking.  One of the best not included is the Falcons.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I agree with you to an extent. I think the overuse of black recently has made their current set much more drab. That said, something about the hunter green I like. Navy was very overused in the darkening trend, but their current green is fairly unique. And while I like the throwbacks, they aren't the answer either. 

Part of me wonders if a mix of kelly green, hunter green, and silver would make a nice set. Using the hunter green as a "black" for number outlines and stripes. IDK just spit balling. 

They actually didn’t switch to hunter green. Hunter green is more like what the Packers wear. The Eagles wear midnight green, which is actually a dark teal. 

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I must be on a silver pants kick because that’s all the Eagles should have, IMO.

Keep the current green, get better striping and a better number font.

Gotta be green-green-silver-green at home, but I could go for green-white-green-white on the road. I don't want too many teams to do the Packers/Steelers/49ers thing where only the jersey changes.

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Gotta be green-green-silver-green at home, but I could go for green-white-green-white on the road. I don't want too many teams to do the Packers/Steelers/49ers thing where only the jersey changes.

The problem with that is the team would most definitely do green monochrome as much as they could. I’d rather it be white pants and silver pants with green socks only.

• Applause 3

Team-account tweet that says "we already tried to tell you what it is" and it's a defensive back with his head down and wrists crossed looking like the Cactrot from Final Fantasy

7 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

They actually didn’t switch to hunter green. Hunter green is more like what the Packers wear. The Eagles wear midnight green, which is actually a dark teal. 

the original unveiling photos in the newspaper did look like Hunter green (there’s a long lost thread here for unveiling articles and there’s a link in there) and while they were called “midnight”, they were described as Hunter 

it wasn’t until I saw someone on ESPN hold up the New Jersey under better lighting that I realized it was more of a dark teal. 

Also in the early years, even the on-field jerseys didn’t seem to have as much blue in them. I’d say it was just a side effect of non-hd broadcasting, but even replicas in stores varied greatly from ones that looked hunterish and ones that looked straight up teal. Basically they picked the hardest color ever to replicate. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looks like the Chicago Bears primary logo change is official now. The NFL website and team website is officially using the Bear head logo now and the wishbone C is nowhere in sight. I'm guessing the logo will be at midfield this season.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Looks like the Chicago Bears primary logo change is official now. The NFL website and team website is officially using the Bear head logo now and the wishbone C is nowhere in sight. I'm guessing the logo will be at midfield this season.

The fanbase hates Chicago so I guess it's just as well.

• LOL 1

17 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Surprised Chris hasn't changed it yet.

fiowXOD.png

19 hours ago, Echo said:

Josh had a little fun with his helmet at the Bills' Red & Blue Scrimmage tonight. 

JUx7GkW.jpg

I think if the Bills went Color alt, red is the way to go, since the Buffalo is going to get lost on the helmet. I still do think the Bills should do White/Red/White/Red uniforms as an alt because those Red CR jerseys are still really nice on the eyes when not blood clotted.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Were the Vikings always a "we don't retire numbers" team, or did they become one just now?

We've only retired 6 numbers, AP has never been one. Last number retired was in 2003 (Cris Carter). We haven't even retired Randy Moss's number

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad