NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

5 minutes ago, Ark said:

It’s better for them, it’s like the color of their ship

17 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

It still saddens me they chose pewter over silver.  Only saving grace is that it’s a unique color for them.

Wasn’t the intention of including pewter for the helmet to mimic a cannonball? If that’s the case, they missed the mark.

Ohio State on the other hand, hit the mark a few years ago with their alternate black helmet-

spacer.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Wasn’t the intention of including pewter for the helmet to mimic a cannonball? If that’s the case, they missed the mark.

Ohio State on the other hand, hit the mark a few years ago with their alternate black helmet-

spacer.png

I think its just the general use of pewter wares (grog cups, plates, buckles, knives, etc.) in the Age of Piracy.

Besides cannonballs were never made of pewter but iron.

• Like 6

Just a couple of random thoughts on the past few pages of posts:

1. The Cardinals road uniforms are probably my favorite new NFL uni-related thing. And I agree with the thought that part of it is that the silver really helps.

2. OTOH, the Cardinals home uniforms are awful, just because we all know how close they were to doing something as good (or close to as good) as the roads. 

3. The Bucs should wear the original orange uniforms twice a season, once at home, once on the road. 

4. Tampa's regular uniforms need to lean more towards their original design: a pewter that is actually pewter and not a dull brown, and use the more treasure map version of the helmet logo.

• Like 3

One thing to keep in mind with the Bucs is that prior to 1997, the creamsicles were associated with FAILURE.

Massive and perpetual failure.

The year before the rebrand, the Bucs had register double digit loses in 13 of 14 seasons. 

After the switch they were .500 or better for 6 straight seasons and won a Super Bowl.

The throwbacks only started happening in 2009, well after the team had ceased to be a joke on the field.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think its just the general use of pewter wares (grog cups, plates, buckles, knives, etc.) in the Age of Piracy.

Besides cannonballs were never made of pewter but iron.

Pewter also wasn’t used for knives, other wise it would have bent like a pool noodle and keep an edge less sharp than a butter knife.

• Like 1

The creamsicles absolutely need to be brought out more than once a year. They’re such a favorite amongst TB fans and us uniform enthusiasts alike that it’s befuddling  they’re only bringing them back once per season. I can understand not doing it the maximum three times, but one just seems silly. It’s already over — we have to wait for a whole other season for these beauties again.

Back to looking at those drab road uniforms at home for another two months…

I thought the Bucs’ creamsicles looked absolutely gorgeous in action. Paired up against the Lions finally wearing silver pants, it’s gotta be my matchup of the year, by virtue of its uniqueness.WpTcYyB.jpg

I think keeping it reserved to one game a year is perfect, it keeps it special (having the designated “creamsicle game” every year) while still keeping it relevant to the brand. I don’t think the creamsicle would work full-time because the away jersey simply isn’t as endearing as the home.

10 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I'd love to see the Bucs in the creamsicles full time, only replacing the helmet logo with a recolored version of the 1997 logo. I don't see why that couldn't work. I love that color scheme, but the winking logo is godawful and 50 years outdated. Their current away jerseys are really just a black outline and sleeve design from being the old away jerseys. So they can mostly keep those as-is, the black outline really helps out the bright colors on white IMO. Just change the helmet and pants and you're good.

I disagree with this because the creamsicles and the modern set are trying to do completely different things, so taking the ‘97 logo out of its proper context within the rest of the brand doesn’t really work.

The creamsicle set is bright, fun, and kind of kitschy, which is why it was derided in its time but also why it’s beloved with the lens of nostalgia. On the other hand, the post-1997 brand is meant to be dark, menacing, and intimidating, a seemingly deliberate course correction from the creamsicle look.

This is why any attempts to combine the two, whether by bringing the newer logos in or adding black/pewter to the creamsicles, don’t work in my opinion, because the two brands are so diametrically opposed. I think a throwback game still works though, precisely because of the contrast. The creamsicle is a refreshing change of pace from the Bucs’ usual dark and moody set.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just using the Virginia Tech shades of orange and maroon would be enough to help the creamsicle look out.

I also disagree with this, because I think the bright colors of the creamsicle are precisely what make it work. Darkening both colors would make the set completely lose its appeal to me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

29 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

because the away jersey simply isn’t as endearing as the home.

ironically, they wore WAH the majority of the time.  White was basically their home jersey.  They wore white 6 of 8 home games in '95, and all 8 games in '96.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

ironically, they wore WAH the majority of the time.  White was basically their home jersey.  They wore white 6 of 8 home games in '95, and all 8 games in '96.

There's no more powerful nostalgia than for that which never really was

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There's no more powerful nostalgia than for that which never really was

Seriously.  I wonder how many fathers were dadsplaining to their sons last week "oh man, I remember when they wore these orange jerseys all the time!  Those orange tops were all I ever knew before they switched to red."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Looks like they only started doing this in the late 80s.