NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

A large majority of Rams fans just did not want the navy and white. They gave fans a choice of at least changing to the helmet and pants in a fan poll because people just didn't want to see St. Louis colors. They absolutely had to do blue/yellow.

They didn't use Navy/White in St Louis. They were royal/yellow when they first moved to STL and when they won the Super Bowl in STL. Then switched to Navy/Gold. They were blue and white in LA only in the 60s and 70s. 

Regardless, if the fans didn't want it, then I guess that makes some sense. 

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

They didn't use Navy/White in St Louis. They were royal/yellow when they first moved to STL and when they won the Super Bowl in STL. Then switched to Navy/Gold. They were blue and white in LA only in the 60s and 70s. 

Regardless, if the fans didn't want it, then I guess that makes some sense. 

I don't get the love for them. They wore them 9 seasons, and they look too much like the Colts. Give me some color. 

• Like 9

iq5b7nF.png

On 1/11/2023 at 8:29 AM, Volt said:

A Teal Jaguars helmet would not be a bad thing as it would be entirely unique to the league, 

Those two statements are totally unrelated.  A helmet that is flat back on the front and metallic gold on the back was also entirely unique, and it sucked.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

It's where I sit.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:01 AM, tBBP said:

The Jags can solve their *lack of teal* problems simply by sticking with teal pants home and away, especially with their current sets. They do that and we'll be guaranteed a lot more teal on the field. (Plus, as long as they stick with single-color numbers & this current set, I personally think it's their best primary pairing.)

Observe:

emmnEym.jpeg

TawcqUJ.jpeg

uCtZ8vJ.jpeg

They keep it to this and, while not ideal, I could live with the teal jersey as an alternate--and I'd be fine with never seeing the white pants again. Plus, since "Black and Teal" has been their marketing thing for almost a decade now, what better way than to emphasize them the most with the color combos they wear on the field. (Yes, I realize I'm making a ton of concessions here as a fan since their inception, but given their current state or aesthetics, if this is what they're gonna stick with, those are the best ways to present it.)

O-Shag-Hennessy!

On 1/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, tBBP said:

This is the correct take.

I've seen many call their number font "horrendous"; I have yet to see anyone explain why they feel such way. And if all one has to go on is "they're not block" or "block would be better", one's gonna have to do a lot better than that to convince me. (Modified) Matrix has become and is integral to their overall brand identity; I'd hate to see them toss it aside in favor of some newfangled CFCS hack-and-notch job.

Also, I find the coincidence in colors between the two teams amusing, but the Ravens are to the NFL what the Rockies are to MLB--and they should stay that way. If anything they could probably do away with the black dropshadows in favor of a thicker black monowidth stroke--but other than that (and as someone noted probably adding stripes to the black pants—I personally would like white-purple-white braishers, but I think I'dbe cool with the reverse order as well), they don't need to touch a thing with their uniforms. The logo is a different story, but the uniforms are contemporary classic sbrasher,

You saved me a lot of typing by basically capturing all of my thoughts about the Ravens uniforms.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

55 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

You saved me a lot of typing by basically capturing all of my thoughts about the Ravens uniforms.

The Ravens font is peak 90's.  It's a generic gothic-style font that would not be used in any application today.  It's dated and while it may have become synonymous with its brand identity, that doesn't make it good.

It's time for an update.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

The Ravens font is peak 90's.  It's a generic gothic-style font that would not be used in any application today.  It's dated and while it may have become synonymous with its brand identity, that doesn't make it good.

It's time for an update.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I actually really like it, drop shadows and all.

I'm not sure I'd call it generic, though it has popped up in other settings (Mariners, Diamondbacks, East Carolina).  In any case, the fact that it has become part of the brand identity should not be overlooked in considering whether to keep it.

To offer a case in point, the Red Sox number font was previously used by multiple baseball teams (e.g., A's, Angels, even the Yankees).  It was certainly more generic than the Ravens number font.  However, now it would be considered nearly blasphemous to consider a Red Sox home uniform without that number font.

• Like 7

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, now that the other pro sports teams that used the Ravens font moved on, it's unique to them. It accomplished what many modern fonts can't in that it's instantly identifiable and completely legible. 

If anything, they just need to update to the Vapor Untouchable template. Because the uniform simply has numerals and sleeve patches, all of the unnecessary seams from the old template stick out like a sore thumb -- but I guess these are things the common fan doesn't notice or care about. 

I am all for them exploring an update just because, but I am just as content with them sticking to what they have. The only issue I have with their look is that the primary logo is a bit ridiculous.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I actually really like it, drop shadows and all.

I'm not sure I'd call it generic, though it has popped up in other settings (Mariners, Diamondbacks, East Carolina).  In any case, the fact that it has become part of the brand identity should not be overlooked in considering whether to keep it.

To offer a case in point, the Red Sox number font was previously used by multiple baseball teams (e.g., A's, Angels, even the Yankees).  It was certainly more generic than the Ravens number font.  However, now it would be considered nearly blasphemous to consider a Red Sox home uniform without that number font.

Fair argument, but one could also counter that those fonts in baseball are akin to Full Block fonts in football (Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Chiefs).  I don't think classifying 90's goofy drop shadow gothic font and College Block in the same category is fair.  The Red Sox have been around since like 1901.  Different historical value.

Every part of the Ravens helmet is dated and so are other parts of their identity, including the wordmarks, logos, lettering font inside the logos, and number font, none of which have been updated since 1999.  They can do better.  And once they do, the old uniform will instantly look like an ancient relic that they held on to for way too long.

One challenge with the Ravens is that Purple/Black/Gold are dark & dull.  I don't count White as it's a neutral and doesn't really solve the issue, but one way to revitalize the look of this team is to add something that fits the brand, yet pops off while complimenting the core colors.  This might be really hard to pull off in a uniform, but it'd be a neat concept to explore if you were a uniform designer:

page_1.jpg

Add a little Raven Red.

It's technically already a part of their brand, along with Yellow, in the Shield /Maryland Flag logo.

The two shades of Purple would also be an interesting design element to explore in a uniform...if done tastefully.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Volt said:

One challenge with the Ravens is that Purple/Black/Gold are dark & dull.  I don't count White as it's a neutral and doesn't really solve the issue, but one way to revitalize the look of this team is to add something that fits the brand, yet pops off while complimenting the core colors.  This might be really hard to pull off in a uniform, but it'd be a neat concept to explore if you were a uniform designer:

page_1.jpg

Add a little Raven Red.

It's technically already a part of their brand, along with Yellow, in the Shield /Maryland Flag logo.

The two shades of Purple would also be an interesting design element to explore in a uniform...if done tastefully.

I think you are on a better course using red than another shade of purple. That second purple would either be too lavender or wouldn't offer enough contrast (in my mind).

There's also that red in the eye. Interesting thought!

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Volt said:

page_1.jpg

Add a little Raven Red.

Shameless plug

cc7af4f8afe1e54c4d1f82994365414d.png?compress=1&resize=1200x900&vertical=top

• Like 15

I personally feel like three colors is hard enough to work with in the NFL (Jags, Bucs,  Titans, ect.) so four would be near impossible to balance properly. The above concept is nice, but it makes the swoosh an intentional design element, which is a no-go in my book.

What if the Ravens were to drop black and use dark purple, gold and red? It would keep the core of purple and gold (without stepping on the toes of Minnesota), keep the "gothic" feel, and refresh the look with a color commonly found in the state flag.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Shameless plug

cc7af4f8afe1e54c4d1f82994365414d.png?compress=1&resize=1200x900&vertical=top

This uniform would be an upgrade and it's a great example of how adding subtle Red detailing really adds a nice pop.  I know the Nike haters will not agree with how it's implemented here and I understand that, but that's not how it has to be done.  Good stuff.

8 minutes ago, Volt said:

This uniform would be an upgrade and it's a great example of how adding subtle Red detailing really adds a nice pop.  I know the Nike haters will not agree with how it's implemented here and I understand that, but that's now how it has to be done.  Good stuff.

I was sorta expecting MORE red - but I don't know how to add it without making things vibrate. Maybe an outline on the number or an additional sleeve stripe with the gold?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.