2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

He's going from Patrick Mahomes to God knows who plays QB for the Commies.  There's no way this isn't a bad move.

Sam Howell is QB1 and the team was telling OC candidates this during interviews. I don’t see the team going after QBs like Carr or Rodgers. Why undermine a young QBs confidence like that? As far as anyone should be concerned, they’re out of the QB race. Hopefully for a while.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

There's no way this isn't a bad move.

The goalposts are clearly different for black coaches.  Doug Pederson didn't call plays for the Chiefs, but got a job as Eagles HC and did pretty well.  Bienemy wins a SB as OC of the Chiefs, but the knock is that he "doesn't call plays".  Hmmm..  So from that standpoint, it might be a bad move - but it's his absolute last chance to check that box that so many white coaches don't need to check.

There's other examples of lesser coaches, but when guys like Jonathan Gannon can get jobs after one decent season as a DC, but black assistants don't have either "enough experience in other organizations" or "didn't call plays" or "insert excuse here... despite having Asst. Head Coach title", it's more clear than it's ever been that the issue still exists.

DeMeco Ryans is an example of a black "hot coordinator" that got a job, but how many of those are there?  Yet there's countless of unqualified white guys that trip over themselves into these roles then fizzle out before their contract was up (to be clear - there's certainly some very qualified white coaches that get jobs too, so not saying that all white new-hires are underserving.)

Eagles are promoting a black QB coach to OC (yet still have to interview an external minority candidate even though they're promoting a minority from within) and said he'll call plays - but how many other black assistants got coordinator jobs this cycle?  (I really don't know).  

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Sam Howell is QB1 and the team was telling OC candidates this during interviews. I don’t see the team going after QBs like Carr or Rodgers. Why undermine a young QBs confidence like that? As far as anyone should be concerned, they’re out of the QB race. Hopefully for a while.

I didn’t say “God knows who plays QB for the commies” because I thought they were going to try to bring in someone new… I said it because I couldn’t remember which nobody Washington had decided on.  Sam Howell?  We’ll, okay then.

So do I think it’ll help him get a head coaching job to go from Patrick Mahoney to… who was that again?  Sam Howl?  Umm… no. 

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

They'll get a veteran, just one who they believe won't threaten Sam Howell.  Names like Chase Daniel, Brian Hoyer, Blaine Gabbert, Davis Webb, Case Keenum, Nick Mullens, Nathan Peterman, David Blough, Kyle Allen, Trevor Siemien, Brandon Allen, Nate Sudfeld, Mason Rudolph all fit the type of veteran QB that Washington would want if they want to hand the keys to Howell. Even if the first four names (Daniel, Hoyer, Gabbert and Webb) all retire, there are still veterans out there that they could bring in who won't threaten Howell.  

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Chase Daniel,

I'm struggling to think of anyone who's career earnings per minute played is higher than Chase Daniel.  

I believe he's made something like $40M and started 5 games, completed around 180 lifetime passes.  So something like $225K per pass.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/18/2023 at 8:08 AM, BBTV said:

I'm struggling to think of anyone who's career earnings per minute played is higher than Chase Daniel.  

I believe he's made something like $40M and started 5 games, completed around 180 lifetime passes.  So something like $225K per pass.

The highest paid clipboard holder in NFL history!  

Most of those guys I mentioned above, could all be good replacements for Chad Henne as Mahomes backup, except David Blough and Nathan Peterman, both of whom suck, but Andy Reid could probably fix them.  

I’m more surprised Dom Capers is alive because I remember him as the old man who coached the Panthers and that was 25 years ago.

Apparently he was the coach when he was in his late 40s-early 50s and 72 now. Guy must age like milk.

Edited by Red Comet

18 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Something for the fun fact bunch: Dom Capers is the only man in NFL history to be the inaugural Head Coach of two expansion teams (Panthers 1995, Texans 2002). 

Also fun fact about Dom Capers - his hair isn't old enough to legally drink.

• LOL 3

It's where I sit.

Is there even still a market for Minshew?  Or did his stock bottom out too much with his terrible showing against the Saints in week 17?  After his performance against Dallas (and his performance in limited starts the previous season) I thought for sure he'd get a starting job at a low-level-starter's salary this year, but now it doesn't seem like there's any options.

He's obviously not a guy you're building your franchise around but could still do some good if you have a good team without anything at QB (like the Jets) or are planning on drafting a young project and need a guy for a couple of years.

I'm generally of the mindset of you either have a franchise QB or you don't spend more than the bare minimum on the position until you get one, but there's a few specific situations in which that rule can be bent.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Is there even still a market for Minshew?  Or did his stock bottom out too much with his terrible showing against the Saints in week 17?  After his performance against Dallas (and his performance in limited starts the previous season) I thought for sure he'd get a starting job at a low-level-starter's salary this year, but now it doesn't seem like there's any options.

He's obviously not a guy you're building your franchise around but could still do some good if you have a good team without anything at QB (like the Jets) or are planning on drafting a young project and need a guy for a couple of years.

I'm generally of the mindset of you either have a franchise QB or you don't spend more than the bare minimum on the position until you get one, but there's a few specific situations in which that rule can be bent.

He's the heir apparent to Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I do think that if there's no interest in him, he'll stay in Philly, because the third QB is...Ian Book.  

A part of me though wants to see what Minshew can do in the playoffs, and whether Minshew Mania can happen in the playoffs or it becomes a disaster and he crumbles under the post season spotlight.  It's a shame we never got to see Fitzpatrick in the playoffs as I would have loved to have seen what he can do in the postseason.  

Taylor Heinicke is probably going to get more interest than Minshew.  Both Minshew and Heinicke are better than the following free agent backups though: Joe Flacco, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Allen, Jeff Driskel, David Blough, Tim Boyle (one of the worst backups out there but keeps getting NFL interest because allegedly, he's great at film study in the QB Room), Nathan Peterman (also one of the worst backups out there), Nate Sudfeld, Blaine Gabbert, John Wolford and Drew Lock.  But it will be a surprise if any one of those guys get more interest than Minshew.  

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

if there's no interest in him, he'll stay in Philly,

If they pay Jalen (even if it's an extension that doesn't kick in till '24) and franchise CJGJ, they won't be able to afford a veteran backup who wants a reasonable salary.  Eagles value backup QB as much - if not more - than anyone, but paying Hurts is going to necessitate a lot of sacrifices.  

Apparently, Daniel Snyder banned Jeff Bezos from bidding in the private auction for the team... and it may have cost him.  He's banning Bezos because he owns the WaPo, and Snyder didn't like that they exposed so much of his dirt.  I'm not sure how there can be a "private auction" for an NFL team in this day and age, but apparently it's a thing.  

Top bids to buy the Washington Commanders fell far short of owner Dan Snyder’s $6 billion cutoff — while billionaire Jeff Bezos has been forced to the sidelines, sources told The Post.

An unidentified bidder came in with an offer of around $5.5 billion by this week’s deadline, which was similar to the amount offered by 76ers and Devils owner Josh Harris, sources close to the situation said.

Bezos, who’s worth more than $100 billion, was prevented by Snyder from entering the private auction though the Amazon founder wanted to participate, sources said.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/02/dan-snyder-is-blocking-jeff-bezos-from-bidding-on-the-commies.html

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Apparently, Daniel Snyder banned Jeff Bezos from bidding in the private auction for the team... and it may have cost him.  He's banning Bezos because he owns the WaPo, and Snyder didn't like that they exposed so much of his dirt.  I'm not sure how there can be a "private auction" for an NFL team in this day and age, but apparently it's a thing.  

Top bids to buy the Washington Commanders fell far short of owner Dan Snyder’s $6 billion cutoff — while billionaire Jeff Bezos has been forced to the sidelines, sources told The Post.

An unidentified bidder came in with an offer of around $5.5 billion by this week’s deadline, which was similar to the amount offered by 76ers and Devils owner Josh Harris, sources close to the situation said.

Bezos, who’s worth more than $100 billion, was prevented by Snyder from entering the private auction though the Amazon founder wanted to participate, sources said.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/02/dan-snyder-is-blocking-jeff-bezos-from-bidding-on-the-commies.html

It's Tillman Fertitta:

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

Did it really cost him if he doesn’t really want to sell the team? Only make it look like he is trying.

• Like 1