2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

That's goddam insane.  I get that it's not franchise-level money (that's probably in the $50m/year, $200m guaranteed range) but nobody would give him that contract on the open market.  He had a nice year, but he seems like more of a bridge guy until they decide what their long-term solution is at the position.  You don't pay that kind of guy that kind of money.  I'd rather invest in the rest of the team and hope that a cheap rookie pans out or a guy like Minshew who won't cost anywhere even close to that, and can win you a few games (and at least not lose many.)

EDIT

He'll get $52M in the fist year.  The Franchise tag is only $30M.  What the hell was Seattle thinking, when they could have hedged their bet and let him prove it again (I can't imagine much ill will, since again, he would never get that on the open market.)

Also, this:
Smith had spent the previous three seasons as Wilson's backup in Seattle. The Seahawks re-signed him in April, three months after he was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Smith has yet to be charged in that case as prosecutors await blood-test results.

They've been waiting for blood-test results for 14 MONTHS?  Over a full year?  Is that how backed up the system is now, that they can't get simple blood test results done in more than a year?

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can't they cut him after year 1 though? $52M seems like a thank you and a bon voyage of whoever they draft is ready in 2024.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Can't they cut him after year 1 though? $52M seems like a thank you and a bon voyage of whoever they draft is ready in 2024.

They have not ruled out taking a QB at #5 with Anthony Richardson.  That would be an interesting situation for Richardson to go to and a team I didn't think of when it came to "NFL teams that could draft Anthony Richardson and can afford to sit him a year" with the Lions, Rams and Vikings in that category.  

• Like 2

And speaking of franchise tags, the Ravens just placed the non-exclusive one on Lamar Jackson.

I for one would LOVE to see what he could do in the silver and black....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If Tennessee had the cap space (which they don't), Lamar would  make an intriguing addition down there. That'd also be good for Malik Willis, but... that ain't happening, so it's all moot.

Other than Brady, Tampa's NEVER paid anyone that kind of money—though they have come up off 1st-round picks in the past—so I don't see that one happening.

Colts need a QB but... they ain't paying for him, either. 

So who does that leave? Minnesota? Houston?? Maybe San Francisco???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Catching up on some things:

• Chase Daniel is who Matt Flynn wishes he was

• Dan Snyder is, well, to put it lightly, a :censored:

• There’s a faction of Commanders fans who damn near fetishize the idea of the team getting Lamar. It needs to stop. It’s weird. I like Jackson, but Sam Howell is the contested QB1. The team literally said so. Why go get a player you know damn well will get the job from the jump?

• That Will Levis thing-

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Catching up on some things:

• Sam Howell is the contested QB1. The team literally said so.

Did you mean uncontested?  Actually, for Sam Howell (whoever that is) contested probably makes more sense.

Isn't this the team that went back and forth between Hienicke and Wentz all year? Where did this Howell character come from?  Was he on the team all year?  And if so, and he had the least bit of a noticeable pulse, why wasn't he playing the whole time?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Did you mean uncontested?  Actually, for Sam Howell (whoever that is) contested probably makes more sense.

Isn't this the team that went back and forth between Hienicke and Wentz all year? Where did this Howell character come from?  Was he on the team all year?  And if so, and he had the least bit of a noticeable pulse, why wasn't he playing the whole time?

Howell was a rookie last year (he had a great career at UNC). He was on the team all year. Heinicke had to play because he was the guy that got them to the playoffs that one time. Wentz the guy with committed money. Howell was just the odd man out. Rookies come along at different speeds.

13 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Lamar Jackson goes to Pittsburgh?

I can't imagine the Ravens letting that happen. Plus, there hasn't been any indication that the Steelers would really move on from Pickett, especially with his improvement at the end of the season (and being home-grown/home-town favorite?).

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Howell is the QB1 headed into the new league year, but there will be some time of competition. Highly doubt its anyone like Lamar. It definitely wasn’t going to be Derek Carr or even Daniel Jones either.

Let Heinicke loose. If the team brings him back, all it takes is one bad throw by Howell for the chants to start. Fans love Taylor. They’d need someone like Jacoby Brissett or Mike White. The type of QB that will put pressure on Howell, but won’t exactly be breathing down his neck.

My long shot hope/wish though, is Ryan Tannehill. It kinda goes against me saying “no top starters”. However, Tannehill has fallen off as of late and his days in Tennessee are seemingly nearing a close.

Daniel Jones - $160M/4 years

Derek Carr - $150M/4 years

Geno Smith - $105M/3 years

Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow and Josh Allen should immediately holdout and demand $1B/8 year contracts. I'm dead serious. That's their current value after this week.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png