2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

44 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Let's revisit this in week 4 of 2023 when Purdy's elbow still hasn't healed and Trey Lance is still Trey Lance.

I am of this mindset: I will truly believe he has retired for good if he's not on any roster by Week 18 of the NFL season.  

Not that anything is for sure, but is it expected that he's starting his FOX job next season?  I'm not sure if starting immediately after retirement was part of the deal, or if it was simply that it was there for him when he wanted it.

If he's in the booth, then he's not coming back.  The deal is supposedly for both broadcasting and being an "ambassador" (whatever TF that means) and I imagine will be keeping him a little too busy to stay in football shape (but he'll be perfectly qualified to coach the Colts!)

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Not that anything is for sure, but is it expected that he's starting his FOX job next season?  I'm not sure if starting immediately after retirement was part of the deal, or if it was simply that it was there for him when he wanted it.

If he's in the booth, then he's not coming back.  The deal is supposedly for both broadcasting and being an "ambassador" (whatever TF that means) and I imagine will be keeping him a little too busy to stay in football shape (but he'll be perfectly qualified to coach the Colts!)

We'll see in 40 days (when he came out of retirement the first time).  If he is announced with Kevin Burkhardt for next season (demoting Greg Olsen, which should not happen) then yeah, he's done.  I did say I wouldn't believe it unless he's not on any team rosters on Week 18 of the next season, but after thinking about it further, I will say he's done when FOX announces their broadcast teams for the 2023 season.   Until then, there's always the possibility he changes his mind again and if FOX announces their broadcast teams and it's Burkhardt and Olsen again and he's nowhere to be found and decides to wait until 2024 to join Burkhardt, it's going to fuel those "Tom Brady is coming back to play" rumors.

20 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Seeing Matt Corral on the Panthers and people thinking they'll be back in for another QB doesn't make sense to me. I know he didn't play this year, but unless it's Young or Stroud why go in again?

Same deal with a lot of Washington fans about Sam Howell. The team literally said they’re telling prospective OC candidates that Howell is QB1 headed into next season. Somehow, wires got crossed and fans (and media) still think the team is going to throw the whole house at a big dollar FA QB (Garoppolo) or trade for one (Carr).

Stick with Howell, low risk with money, and use the money to build around him. Support goes a long way.

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Same deal with a lot of Washington fans about Sam Howell. The team literally said they’re telling prospective OC candidates that Howell is QB1 headed into next season. Somehow, wires got crossed and fans (and media) still think the team is going to throw the whole house at a big dollar FA QB (Garoppolo) or trade for one (Carr).

Stick with Howell, low risk with money, and use the money to build around him. Support goes a long way.

if Washington sticks with Howell, they will probably sign a lower tier free agent to give him support but not threaten to take his starting job, which could mean Taylor Heinecke returns.

As for Matt Corral, it will depend on how Frank Reich feels about him.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

if Washington sticks with Howell, they will probably sign a lower tier free agent to give him support but not threaten to take his starting job, which could mean Taylor Heinecke returns.

As for Matt Corral, it will depend on how Frank Reich feels about him.  

The problem(?) with Heinicke is the second Howell doesn’t do his job right, fans will clamor and foam at the mouth for Heinicke to be QB1. Taylor is great guy to have behind and support Howell for sure. He even advocated for Howell to start against Dallas. However, the team needs a QB they absolutely know won’t threaten Howell in the slightest.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

My question is, why would you hedge your bets on an unproven qb who has played in only 1 game, against a team that really had nothing to gain by winning. I don’t know if the cowboys rested their starters but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

“Team X rested their starters, that’s why Team Y’s player did so good” is such a weird useless rebuttal.

Don’t you think if the player sucked, he would’ve… ya know… sucked regardless of who else was in the game?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

“Team X rested their starters, that’s why Team Y’s player did so good” is such a weird useless rebuttal.

Don’t you think if the player sucked, he would’ve… ya know… sucked regardless of who else was in the game?

It makes it easier doesn’t it? All of the NFL are star college players and look at the ones who suck. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 1:25 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Seeing Matt Corral on the Panthers and people thinking they'll be back in for another QB doesn't make sense to me. I know he didn't play this year, but unless it's Young or Stroud why go in again?

Because Corral was a third-round pick who got hurt before he could play a game. Same reason the Cardinals dumped Rosen to go in on Kyler - why waste time on someone that was never a guarantee when you can swing for the fences and draft a much more sure thing?

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

It's official, Tom Brady has finally retired for good.

I don't believe it yet.  For me, it's either he has to be announced for FOX NFL Sunday for 2023 or he signs a one day contract with the Patriots, whichever one happens first.  

• Like 1