Rixaroo

28 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Just give these bad boys an update:

maxresdefault.jpg

linebacker-kevin-hardy-of-the-illinois-f

I was thinking one generation past that:

NOP2002010107.jpg

Basically the same thing 🙂

I think the big block I helmet would work even with that base. Now, that said, I always was partial to the numbers from the Illini basketball uniforms from back around the time Deron Williams was there:

165540397.jpeg

Perhaps a slightly slimmed-down version of those, paired with the big block I, would be the way to go??

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

I was thinking one generation past that:

NOP2002010107.jpg

Basically the same thing 🙂

I think the big block I helmet would work even with that base. Now, that said, I always was partial to the numbers from the Illini basketball uniforms from back around the time Deron Williams was there:

165540397.jpeg

Perhaps a slightly slimmed-down version of those, paired with the big block I, would be the way to go??

I can agree with you on the helmet, but not on the basketball uniform font.  Those are a no-go for me.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of the ILLINOIS helmet, but I get why people have a soft spot for it. I’ll keep an eye out around campus for any niblets.  I walk by the Smith building nearly every day. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 hours ago, CS85 said:

I am not a big fan of the ILLINOIS helmet, but I get why people have a soft spot for it. I’ll keep an eye out around campus for any niblets.  I walk by the Smith building nearly every day. 

As a Big Ten alum (UW 87), I think the block I is about the best helmet Illinois could have.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

23 hours ago, CS85 said:

Curious what direction they go.  It'd be nice if they added, I dunno, anything to give their uniforms flavor.  They pivoted so damn hard post-Chief that they've left themselves virtually nothing to lean on branding-wise.  "Hail to the Orange" doesn't really mean anything besides "go orange team," and they refuse to adopt a mascot, so....what now?

The helmet they revealed in 2021 feels like the optimal and timeless helmet they can trot out game in and game out:

2021-1-illinois-vs-nebraska-v2.png?16301

My guess is they'll add a little bit more white and probably return to a block numeral.

Maybe a couple touches from the Butkus era?  Dunno.  The uniforms could stand to have a little bit more but they should stay the course and not have a boatload of alts.  Iconify the helmet, embrace the orange, and introduce a pinch of flavor.

s-l500.jpg

I'm not a close follower of Illinois athletics but the football team never seemed to have any sort of strong branding that tied it to the chief or Native American imagery. The basketball team had the chief logo at midcourt so I associated it more with them, but to me Illinois football was always just a bland looking team with an orange helmet and navy jerseys. Basically a midwest Syracuse. Bland can work if your team is winning in it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As a Big Ten alum (UW 87), I think the block I is about the best helmet Illinois could have.

Seeing as it's Bielema picking the uniforms, I'd expect a plain looking uniform and either the Block I or ILLINOIS.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

I highly doubt they will use a design element from a logo they had to retire for being Native American.

They had these basketball uniforms from 2014~18. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility. 

Good Morning, Illini Nation: UI uniforms, through the years | Sports |  news-gazette.com

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The contract with a third-party for two years seems to guarantee that we’ll see the Bearcats in template uniforms until 2025. That and the fact that the article confirms that the deal was only signed two and a half months ago and that the uniform designs haven’t been finalized yet. 

Either way, it’s still better than the overdesigned-but-somehow-still-bland Under Armour designs. I’m excited. 

And we’re that much closer to throwbacks to these (basketball) classics, hopefully sans the tramp stamp. 

spacer.png 

• Like 5

spacer.png

14 hours ago, mattb6 said:

The contract with a third-party for two years seems to guarantee that we’ll see the Bearcats in template uniforms until 2025. That and the fact that the article confirms that the deal was only signed two and a half months ago and that the uniform designs haven’t been finalized yet. 

Either way, it’s still better than the overdesigned-but-somehow-still-bland Under Armour designs. I’m excited. 

And we’re that much closer to throwbacks to these (basketball) classics, hopefully sans the tramp stamp. 

spacer.png 

So for football are we expecting a bare bones look? The sleeve inserts from the UA uniforms obviously won't be worn if they go with the teamwear version of the Fusion template.

Quarterback Gino Guidugli of the Cincinnati Bearcats looks to pass... News  Photo - Getty Images

Bearcats Football Preview: Bearcats Return Strong Linebacker Corps - Down  The Drive

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So for football are we expecting a bare bones look? The sleeve inserts from the UA uniforms obviously won't be worn if they go with the teamwear version of the Fusion template.

Quarterback Gino Guidugli of the Cincinnati Bearcats looks to pass... News  Photo - Getty Images

Bearcats Football Preview: Bearcats Return Strong Linebacker Corps - Down  The Drive

I hope the football team is able to keep the Lindner Center inspired triangle pattern somehow but I doubt they will while they are using catalogue uniforms for the next few years until Nike can give them a personalized uniform.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

I hope the football team is able to keep the Lindner Center inspired triangle pattern somehow but I doubt they will while they are using catalogue uniforms for the next few years until Nike can give them a personalized uniform.

I'd hope the pant stripes can be done, but unless they took the stripes off the chest and placed them on the sleeves I don't think they'd be on the jerseys, at least for this year unless they're already producing them before the announcement. 

Speaking of, do we expect Cal to carry over their UA uniforms to Nike this year? At least with these there's not a lot of things to change over. 

Cal uses fumble return TD to beat Stanford 27-20 in Big Game | AP News

Cal Athletics 2022: Stories of the Year, Part 1 - Sports Illustrated Cal  Bears News, Analysis and More

What to Know About the Pac-12 in the Fall - The New York Times

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd hope the pant stripes can be done, but unless they took the stripes off the chest and placed them on the sleeves I don't think they'd be on the jerseys, at least for this year unless they're already producing them before the announcement. 

Speaking of, do we expect Cal to carry over their UA uniforms to Nike this year? At least with these there's not a lot of things to change over. 

Cal uses fumble return TD to beat Stanford 27-20 in Big Game | AP News

Cal Athletics 2022: Stories of the Year, Part 1 - Sports Illustrated Cal  Bears News, Analysis and More

What to Know About the Pac-12 in the Fall - The New York Times

I hope they do something new, that stripe is so boring 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I’m nearly certain it will be a Vapor Pro template from the Nike Team catalog with custom numbers and logos/wordmarks. 

I think the “Shard Stripe” template would fit with UC’s identity, but could see them using the Virginia template with stripes done in the colors of the current Lindner Center triangle stripe. I could also see a completely blank template with contrasting collars/cuffs and custom numbers on the sleeves.

I have a much better idea of how the basketball team will be dressed next season based on the available templates and the designs we’ve seen for teams of a similar stature and doing a similar Nike/Jordan split like San Diego State and Houston (and will post my theory in the College Basketball thread)

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 5/17/2023 at 10:20 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

My issue with the Linder Center stripe is that the triangles were scaled too small. I've seen it mockingly referred to as 'lace' which I can understand. If they had gone larger/bolder with the triangles I think it could have been a more own-able look.

On 5/16/2023 at 1:32 PM, dont care said:

I highly doubt they will use a design element from a logo they had to retire for being Native American.

I hate to go down this rabbit hole but how are zig zag lines Native American?