College Football 2023

Rixaroo

Week 0 Observations

- Vandy doesn't look half bad, shiny helmets and stripes go a long way, though that logo has only shrunk on me.

- The Golden Panthers of FIU have so little gold on their uniforms its shameful

- I guess LA Tech's new uniform design was only for the blues, the reds look the same as last year.

- SDSU/Ohio, great looking game

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

- Vandy doesn't look half bad, shiny helmets and stripes go a long way, though that logo has only shrunk on me.

Vanderbilt looked pretty good. Sometimes teams just need to keep it simple.

May have been a better looking game if Hawaii wore green pants instead of black.

• Like 5

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Some shots from Hawai'i/Vanderbilt:

70694362007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-095

70693150007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-017

70694358007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-085

70693142007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-029

70694359007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-084

70694365007-ds-82623-fb-sec-vand-haw-133

• Like 11

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

58 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

USC did not show off the new template all off-season but did wear it yesterday. Their version uses the horizontal seam similar to teams with the Colts style shoulder stripes.

spacer.png

I would’ve been really surprised if they kept the Vapor Untouchable. One of the versions of the FUSE template available in the Nike Team catalog is called the Vapor FUSE Shard Stripe jersey and the example shown was/is USC’s jersey (just without the custom font & rubberized collar logo):

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Thought this was a decent looking game. Has TUNA (North Alabama) officially changed their colors since they moved up to FCS?

A look at Mercer vs. North Alabama in the FCS Kickoff

TUNA? lol It's just UNA.

They've always been purple and yellow/gold but clearly utilizing the yellow more with this set.

(I grew up in central-north Alabama and had a lot of friends that went to UNA)

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

The new shade of gold is great.

However, that's about the only upgrade from last year's uniforms. The helmet V looked better in black and the jersey is simply too plain. I hate how overused "practice jersey" is when it comes to describing uniforms (example #1: Jaguars)... but this really looks like a practice jersey with its exclusively black and white color scheme and no design at all. Even if stripes were a no-go, gold number outlines/cuffs or a chest wordmark would be enough to make it work for me. It just has nothing.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

ExJworW.png

3 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

TUNA? lol It's just UNA.

I'm a member of a D2 message board. They were known as TUNA around those parts by the fans of the other GSC teams (their former conference in D2).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, PrimalCookie said:

The new shade of gold is great.

However, that's about the only upgrade from last year's uniforms. The helmet V looked better in black and the jersey is simply too plain. I hate how overused "practice jersey" is when it comes to describing uniforms (example #1: Jaguars)... but this really looks like a practice jersey with its exclusively black and white color scheme and no design at all. Even if stripes were a no-go, gold number outlines/cuffs or a chest wordmark would be enough to make it work for me. It just has nothing.

By this do you mean "no elements of design"...as in no stripes or colored number strokes, things of that nature?

I've seen people say this before, so let me address this, from a bit of a technical perspective. Even "no" design is still "design", when you factor in the functional aspect—at the end of the day, design is more about how something works and why it exists more so than what it looks like. Now, with that said, one is free to gussy up the aesthetics as much as one wants—or keep it barebones basic as long as the thing functions the way its supposed to...as those Vandy jerseys do in relaying more of a barebones aesthetic. (I didn't see Vandy's creative brief so I don't know what their stated end-goal was; I can only infer from what we're looking at.) The thing about barebones basic jerseys is that, since there's nothing else on them, it highlights the number font if there's something unique about them—which in Vandy's case is that old-school 5. That alone can help strengthen the overall brand identity if done right...and I believe it does well here.

Now, with all that said...I'm also with those who find the white V a good bit jarring...perhaps, if they felt the need to do just a V, they should have made it black stroked with white rather than the other way around. I feel like they also probably could have incorporated the star—after all, a commodore was at one point a one-star flag rank (gold star, at that)—but a single V does read more clearly as a shape, so... 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm a member of a D2 message board. They were known as TUNA around those parts by the fans of the other GSC teams (their former conference in D2).

Eating tUNA was my favorite part of football season, along with those pesky Okra...

Go Blazers!

Anywho, back to Uniforms. Looks like with the new D1 Brand the gold got demoted from secondary color to trim level accessory. According to the brand book "Use for subtle touches, trim on uniforms, alternate uniforms, warm-ups, retail, etc. Use of Vegas/Sand Gold is prohibited" 

https://www.roarlions.com/documents/2023/2/1/UNA_Branding_Guide.pdf

• Like 1
Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

12 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

Heh...who besides me remembers the time when the Florida Gators were primarily ORANGE and white?? I know, rather short period of a longer overall history, but still...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, tBBP said:

Heh...who besides me remembers the time when the Florida Gators were primarily ORANGE and white?? I know, rather short period of a longer overall history, but still...

Charley Pell switched the primary to orange in 1979, but Spurrier changed it back to blue when he took over in 1990, only keeping the orange helmet with the script Gators from the previous look.

I think Napier might share Spurrier's feelings on orange, considering how the orange jerseys still haven't been worn under his tenure and the orange pants only once (the Vandy game... which probably explains their absence this year). Aside from the new black uniform, it's my only complaint about his aesthetic choices.

ExJworW.png

5 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

Charley Pell switched the primary to orange in 1979, but Spurrier changed it back to blue when he took over in 1990, only keeping the orange helmet with the script Gators from the previous look.

I think Napier might share Spurrier's feelings on orange, considering how the orange jerseys still haven't been worn under his tenure and the orange pants only once (the Vandy game... which probably explains their absence this year). Aside from the new black uniform, it's my only complaint about his aesthetic choices.

I'm not super familiar with Florida football's aesthetic history, but I'd rather them use the blue pants sparingly and primarily use the white and orange. 

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/27/2023 at 6:52 AM, tBBP said:

You could drive a truck through Adidas’ armholes.

They consistently produce some of the most bizarre templates in football on the basis that the single worst thing that can happen to you on the field is someone tugging your jersey.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins