College Football 2023

Rixaroo

• 2 weeks later...

Boise State going orange/blue/orange for the LA Bowl, and IIRC, just the second time since orange helmets were introduced, this combo is being worn. 

EDIT: 

didn't see this at the time but this is apparently the final game for the slash stripe uniforms, as there will be new uniforms for the 2024 season.

• Like 10

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 12/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, colinturner95 said:

Boise State going orange/blue/orange for the LA Bowl, and IIRC, just the second time since orange helmets were introduced, this combo is being worn. 

EDIT: 

didn't see this at the time but this is apparently the final game for the slash stripe uniforms, as there will be new uniforms for the 2024 season.

I doubt they would but this should be the default home look 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 11:24 AM, colinturner95 said:

EDIT: 

They need new uniforms in the worst way

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I doubt they would but this should be the default home look 

No to the orange helmet, but orange pants need to be rotated in more. 

12 minutes ago, LunarLeo said:

They need new uniforms in the worst way

Yeah they got shafted by Nike when they got new uniforms and in less than a year it was already a catalog option. 

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 12/16/2023 at 4:01 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Can we require that schools that host bowl games due more than just stencil the bowl logos on the field? Looking at you Myrtle Beach Bowl! 

Most of the time it's not the school, its the bowl event management organization (mostly ESPN for the lower to mid tier games).  Painting over turf is cheaper.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Most of the time it's not the school, its the bowl event management organization (mostly ESPN for the lower to mid tier games).  Painting over turf is cheaper.

I understand that. But there needs to be more than an outline stencil on the 25's. If you know you'll be hosting bowl games, just repaint it based on the games instead of stitching logos and wordmarks into the field. I know the USFL probably has more money for painting fields than the bowl game does but it can be done.

2021_Myrtle_Beach_Bowl_opening_kickoff.j

canton-oh-june-17-a-general-view-of-tom-

19 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Boise just needs to bring back these.

kellen-moore-boise-statejpg-f44ee4889c8a

hi-res-91ee194c8c86e4033228968133f07314_

They also need to ditch the asymmetric design on the helmet. Just put the bronco on both sides.

SchrammDJ_20220923_SDSU_005-scaled-2556x

Maybe they could update this logo with the current bronco as well.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I understand that. But there needs to be more than an outline stencil on the 25's. If you know you'll be hosting bowl games, just repaint it based on the games instead of stitching logos and wordmarks into the field. I know the USFL probably has more money for painting fields than the bowl game does but it can be done.

2021_Myrtle_Beach_Bowl_opening_kickoff.j

canton-oh-june-17-a-general-view-of-tom-

They also need to ditch the asymmetric design on the helmet. Just put the bronco on both sides.

SchrammDJ_20220923_SDSU_005-scaled-2556x

Maybe they could update this logo with the current bronco as well.

Yeah the oversized Bronco head on both sides would be a good look

• Like 3

Visual aid:

spacer.png

While I am generally not a fan of "monochrome" looks or the jersey and pants being the same color, this works as a gestalt: orange and green contrast pretty well with each other, the colors are pretty vivid/saturated and they're the schools' colors. It's not just white vs black looks that have become more commonplace.

As I was typing thing, I realized that, with orange being closer to red, this might actually present some color-blindness challenges:

spacer.png

Not as egregious as the NYJ v BUF game (because 1, Syracuse is wearing orange instead of red, and 2, USF's green is darker than the Jets' green was in that game), but still not a ton of contrast.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

No bowl logos on either uniform for USF and Syracuse. Also a strange case of color vs color. Mono orange for Syracuse and Go/Gr/Gr for USF.

41 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Visual aid:

spacer.png

While I am generally not a fan of "monochrome" looks or the jersey and pants being the same color, this works as a gestalt: orange and green contrast pretty well with each other, the colors are pretty vivid/saturated and they're the schools' colors. It's not just white vs black looks that have become more commonplace.

As I was typing thing, I realized that, with orange being closer to red, this might actually present some color-blindness challenges:

spacer.png

Not as egregious as the NYJ v BUF game (because 1, Syracuse is wearing orange instead of red, and 2, USF's green is darker than the Jets' green was in that game), but still not a ton of contrast.

Boca-Raton-Bowl-2.jpeg?w=1024&h=576&crop

It's a bit annoying when they actually dress up the field and the teams couldn't be bothered to add a patch. Do teams have to order those themselves, or isn't the bowl committee supposed to provide them? 

231221-FBvSYR-MH265.JPG?width=1024&heigh

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, I'm not sure if they have to order them themselves (presumably so?). I do figure they (the teams' equipment personnel, specifically) are responsible for attaching them, at least.

I'm not so much bothered by teams not adding patches for a bowl game, anymore. It would be one thing if modern uniforms weren't already so patch- and little detail-heavy already. For USF, for example, you'd ostensibly have an Adidas logo, the USF bull logo, and the AAC conference logo on the front in addition to a bowl patch. That's a lot of extraneous clutter. (I suppose the argument could be made the other way too: "What's one more patch if there's already so many?") I feel like bowl patches meant more when they were the only thing that was out of the ordinary on a much simpler jersey. Not to mention the designs in the past were almost invariably the same ones worn during the season for just about all teams and therefore the only thing distinguishing the uniforms in photos would have been the bowl patches. In other words, many teams now wear unique combinations every week, and so it would be easier to tell that a particular look was only worn in the bowl, even without a patch, because that was the only time the given team wore that look in their season. (I don't necessarily think that's the case for this particular game, but I feel like that's far more likely to happen now than it was 30 years ago.) All that to say a missing bowl patch doesn't bother me too much given today's uniform aesthetics.