College Football 2023

Rixaroo

The one thing that most folks miss about color v color for USC-UCLA is that both teams used to share LA Memorial Coliseum - that's why they both wore their home uniforms, because it was a home game for both teams. It doesn't hold the same weight when that history isn't behind it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

7 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

The one thing that most folks miss about color v color for USC-UCLA is that both teams used to share LA Memorial Coliseum - that's why they both wore their home uniforms, because it was a home game for both teams. It doesn't hold the same weight when that history isn't behind it.

Yep. That's why color vs. color rivalry games wouldn't really work like USC-UCLA does (or did, as you posit, CDCLT): one team is almost always decidedly the away team, either by actually playing in the opposing team's home stadium, or the neutral site being closer to the opposing team's campus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mingjai said:

You’re right. I’d imagine UCLA-USC would fit well in the B1G’s rivalry week lineup during the USC at Notre Dame years. I image the B1G will move some rivalry week games to Friday night to keep their broadcast partners happy.

I guess the other option for the B1G is to market a late October/early November mini-rivalry week for the B1G teams with secondary rivals and always have UCLA-USC there along with Michigan-Michigan State and Minnesota-Iowa.

UCLA has told the B1G that it wants to end every year with USC now, as they should. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2023-11-20/ucla-usc-football-rival-regular-season-finale-big-ten

B1G and ACC would need to come to an agreement probably to continue the usual final game rotation involving Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, and ND. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2023 at 6:48 AM, kaleb_girod said:

Florida will be going all-blue again tonight against FSU. There’s a part of me though who really would’ve loved to see the ultra rare blue jersey/orange pants combo.

Personally, it’s not a bad look in anyway and better than the all-blue. It’s really never made sense to me why Florida hasn’t worn this combo more after it was worn a lot under Spurrier. At the end of the day, aside from the all-black alternate, Florida doesn’t really have any bad combos.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, PrimalCookie said:

The longstanding superstition among Gator fans regarding orange/blue/orange is "look like Illinois, play like Illinois." IIRC the only win in that combo is 2016 North Texas.

Granted, Florida plays like Illinois regardless of the combo now, but still.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:49 PM, kaleb_girod said:

Are you a Florida fan, because personally I’ve never heard of this being a lifelong fan? Tbh, that “superstition” sounds really dumb if true. I’d be very welcome to blue over orange every now and then. It’s still a really

nice, clean look that you could argue is better than the blue over white combo. Reminds me of the Browns going brown over orange.

Imo, while I prefer the blue, for a team with an orange helmet, we don’t use the orange pants enough like we should.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:17 AM, PrimalCookie said:

I am, and I've heard people say it for a while whenever that combo gets brought up. I don't know who coined it first, and the only results on Google are the CCSLC and Reddit, but I know I've heard it multiple times in real life so yeah.

I think it's our worst of the 3 home combos, but it still looks pretty good so I'm open to it as a once-per-season thing. Same thing with orange pants on the road. My personal "ideal" schedule would be

- Biggest home game of the season plus Tennessee: O/B/B

- Kentucky or some other blue dominant team: O/O/W

- Homecoming: 1966 throwback W/B/W

- One cupcake: O/B/O

- All other games (should be 2 assuming a 7 game home slate): O/B/W

On 11/27/2023 at 6:28 PM, JTernup said:

I’m a Gator fan and have said it in reference to the combo, I wouldn’t call it a superstition though. I just think the combo is terrible looking and happens to match Illinois who plays terrible on the field and tends to look terrible. I just really don’t think that combo is befitting of the Gators much in the same way I’ve thought our home white outs, Gator skin, and black helmet weren’t befitting of the brand.

Personally, as a lifelong FSU fan & alumni who is now at UF for graduate school (it's a long story), I've always really liked the orange/blue/orange combo for the Gators. It used to be my favorite combo, but much like the Browns' orange pants, a comparison that @kaleb_girod astutely noted, I now think it's best as an occasional special alternate look instead of the primary combo. I also really enjoyed whenever the Gators wore the orange pants with the white jersey going into Doak.

Interestingly, the Gators appeared to announce an update the orange pants to match the helmet stripe earlier this summer, but to my knowledge they never wore them this season, nor did they wear the orange jersey. That's a shame, as I agree with @PrimalCookie that the orange elements are useful against teams that primarily wear blue such as Kentucky, just as going all-blue is useful against Tennessee.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, CDCLT said:

I wish the Rams and the Chargers did that when they play each other.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Visual aids for conference championship games at noon EST (both of which are all monochrome affairs, white v. dark):

Big XII:

spacer.png

I really like OSU's emphasis on black lately. I'm usually an advocate for using the brightest colors as the primaries, but the Cowboys look good in black. And this isn't a white/orange vs. orange/white game, as a result.

MAC:

spacer.png

Still, for monochrome, not a bad look. There's just enough red on Miami's uniforms and just enough gold on Toledo's (albeit not in this picture; there weren't many good ones anywhere online) that this reads as a red/white vs. blue/gold game.

Edited by Ted Cunningham
Missed a word, originally.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They both don't have to wear yellow pants. And they usually only play each other in exhibition games.

The pants aren't the issue. It's the jerseys. They are way too close in color. No league would allow them to be worn against each other.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They both don't have to wear yellow pants. And they usually only play each other in exhibition games.

Royal blue and powder blue don't separate themselves enough to be useful. 

GettyImages-1454454774.jpg

This works because City's sky blue is lighter than the Chargers powder blue. It also helps that Chelsea uses a darker blue than the Rams royal blue. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

CFP semifinals will look pretty good color wise. 

Rose Bowl with the sunset Navy and Maize/Crimson and White

Sugar Bowl with Purple and Gold/Burnt Orange and White

Maybe the most visually appealing Semi Final in a while. All 4 are fairly traditional uniforms, but I could see Washington breaking out the “Purple Reign” uniforms with the chrome helmets and Numbers

34 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

CFP semifinals will look pretty good color wise. 

Rose Bowl with the sunset Navy and Maize/Crimson and White

Sugar Bowl with Purple and Gold/Burnt Orange and White

Maybe the most visually appealing Semi Final in a while. All 4 are fairly traditional uniforms, but I could see Washington breaking out the “Purple Reign” uniforms with the chrome helmets and Numbers

Not that traditions should matter (and bowls are based on ranking/bracket) but Michigan - Washington at the Rose Bowl would have been cool.

2 hours ago, walkerws said:

Is this Adidas' 1st CFP team?

It is

• Nike/Jordan
    • Alabama
    • Oregon
    • Florida State
    • Ohio State
    • Clemson
    • Michigan State
    • Oklahoma
    • Washington
    • Georgia
    • LSU
    • Michigan
    • TCU
  • Under Armour
    • Notre Dame
    • Cincinnati
  • Adidas
    • Washington

Washington will be both the first Adidas team, and first team to make the CFP under different suppliers

• Like 4

Sorry, I'm on an iPad